Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite thing to smoke on the egg?

rdsbucks
rdsbucks Posts: 18
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
What is your go-to smoked item and how do you do it? So far for me, it has been baby-backs with pork tenderloin second. For the ribs, it's a basic dry rub and the 2-2-1: smoked for 2 hours, wrapped for 2, and one hour for the sauce to tighten. 
BBQ addict...recovering pellet smoker.

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    I love to smoke ribs ... but I think a nice on the bone prime rib roast takes the cake for me.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • I love to smoke ribs ... but I think a nice on the bone prime rib roast takes the cake for me.
    I cannot wait to try that!
  • Meatloaf, beef ribs, tenderloin and meatloaf are my top 4. 

Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Brisket for the win and beef plate ribs close behind.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    1. pork loin

Tasty, easy, economical and can be cooked done in a few hours.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1228680/glazed-pork-loin-with-cilantro-and-garlic

2. pork butt

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ABTs
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    It would be hard to pick a favorite, but I probably cook more chickens than anything else.  Sometimes multiples and each is good for several meals plus stock.
    NOLA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Brisket - low & slow
    Pork Butt
    Beef Short ribs
    Meatloaf
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Just pulled these off the Egg, so ribs!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Tri-tip lately. And chicken. And brisket. And pork butt.
    Mountain View, CA
  • The answer to the question is everything!  

I do tend to cook a lot of tri-tips and spatchcock chickens.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    In order of preference:
    Beef Chuck Roast (Pepper Stout particularly)
    Brisket
    Beef Ribs
    Bologna
    Pork Butt (recently)
    Pork Ribs

Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Beef plate ribs
    spare ribs 
    pork butt
    ABTs
    raised direct chicken. 

Could go on forever especially since I’m hungry 
  • My goodness gracious you guys rock!!! Amazing!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    pulled pork is probably my favorite but its hard to beat a simple smoked block of cream cheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Beef ribs hands down for me. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Pork butt, beef ribs & chicken.  Bonus: I like the way I smell after smoking something delicious on the egg.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2021
    I do pork butt the most often, but brisket is my favorite.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think pork tenderloin has become my new favorite. I don't smoke it per se, I just grill it raised direct until it is 145-150 internal temp. It is also a great source of lean protein. It is similar in calories to chicken breast, but to me it tastes so much better. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Pork butt, beef ribs & chicken.  Bonus: I like the way I smell after smoking something delicious on the egg.  
    I've always said I want to make a cologne that smells like BBQ. The wives may not like it, but the guys will be going through a bottle a day. I'd be rich!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I've thought about this a bit and came to a conclusion: I like arracheras and beef costillas, skirt steak and beef ribs cooked like my wife's family from Monterrey MX. Marinated in lime/salt/onions for a few hours. Served with full on fixings - 2 kinds of cooked onions, guac, at least 2 salsas (Usually 3 - verde, fresh red, and a smokey guajillo) pico de gallo, frijoles a la charra. 

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Pork butt, beef ribs & chicken.  Bonus: I like the way I smell after smoking something delicious on the egg.  
    I've always said I want to make a cologne that smells like BBQ. The wives may not like it, but the guys will be going through a bottle a day. I'd be rich!
    Ummmmm, Do you buy your own cologne, or does SWMBO buy it?  

Not to mention I would rather not wear cologne that gets every guy in the office stopping in to sniff me....

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @sumoconnell - do you have a recipe (of sorts) for that marinade/cook?  It sounds like something I have to attempt.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I've thought about this a bit and came to a conclusion: I like arracheras and beef costillas, skirt steak and beef ribs cooked like my wife's family from Monterrey MX. Marinated in lime/salt/onions for a few hours. Served with full on fixings - 2 kinds of cooked onions, guac, at least 2 salsas (Usually 3 - verde, fresh red, and a smokey guajillo) pico de gallo, frijoles a la charra. 

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend!
    That sounds amazing.  Please post the cook!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Favorite thing to smoke on an egg? Brisket

Favorite thing to smoke that I actually eat? Beef or Pork Ribs.

I enjoy the showmanship of Brisket on an egg but rarely find that I eat it after I cook it. I'll usually eat 1 slice of point but that's about it. Brisket is usually reserved for family events.

I did however smoke a chuck roast this past weekend and that is a nice quick alternative to a brisket.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited October 2021
    lousubcap said:
    @sumoconnell - do you have a recipe (of sorts) for that marinade/cook?  It sounds like something I have to attempt.  
    @lousubcapand @kl8ton

I'll do my best to document the cook.  The marinade is super simple, a generous amount of freshly squeezed lime, a bit of salt individually done per beef portion, and placed in a bowl with a slice of onion between each.  Let it sit for an hour or 2, then cook like a steak with all the onions on top.  As you flip these a bunch of times, you move the onions around and get them nice and cooked too.

Here’s an old cook 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Pork butt, beef ribs & chicken.  Bonus: I like the way I smell after smoking something delicious on the egg.  
    I've always said I want to make a cologne that smells like BBQ. The wives may not like it...
    I know I like that egging smell, but Wilma has other ideas.  Little hints like: “I’ll use the other bathroom so you can take a shower.”  Or “I put a new bar of Dr. Squatch soap in the shower...”. I don’t know if you guys use that, but that’s currently what Wilma buys for me.
    Flint, Michigan