Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Let's freak out on market blips!!!

So we can blame the packers??
    Obama?

i think you may be on to things, you may be right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Purchased for a friend who is just completing her PhD. 

That is doing it up in fine style.  Must be a very good friend... Well played.  
    Easier to find Dom than a good bourbon these days.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:

Thanks, Frank. Yes, very good friends. Was quite hard to find, too. There have been champagne shortages in our neck of the woods for months. Drove about an hour today on my lunch break just to grab this while I could. Didn’t want to let the opportunity pass. 
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:

Thanks, Frank. Yes, very good friends. Was quite hard to find, too. There have been champagne shortages in our neck of the woods for months. Drove about an hour today on my lunch break just to grab this while I could. Didn’t want to let the opportunity pass. 

just looked that up in the nh state liquor store, 1 bottle left in the whole state. we are never down to the last bottle
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Can't compare to all the SRF goodness, but I am pretty excited:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

You can try different home made chilli powder mixes.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Eoin said:

I like that idea.  My plan was to just eat them, or add whole to soups and stews, but homemade pepper flakes sounds like a great idea too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I recommend just eating them.
    I plan too.  Curious to know what the pain feels like.  I have become accustom to eating habaneros.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I plan too.  Curious to know what the pain feels like.  I have become accustom to eating habaneros.
    Straight up habaneros?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2021
    WeberWho said:
    Straight up habaneros?
    I have a hot sauce I made from 90% habaneros.  I use that on most everything.  I have eaten habaneros straight before to see what they tasted like raw.  My biggest issue is accidentally touching my eyes.  That is horrible.  Washing all the oil off is hard and a single hand washing isn't usually enough.

Carolina Reaper is an order of magnitude hotter, so I have zero expectation of it being pleasant.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2021
    WeberWho said:
    Straight up habaneros?
    I have a hot sauce I made from 90% habaneros.  I use that on most everything.  I have eaten habaneros straight before to see what they tasted like raw.  My biggest issue is accidentally touching my eyes.  That is horrible.  Washing all the oil off is hard and a single hand washing isn't usually enough.
    Sounds awesome on the sauce. I'm not all that good with extreme heat but dang if I don't try. My buddy just gave me small sauce container of some sauce his dad makes. His dad will eat habaneros for snacks. My other buddy put a tablespoon of my friends dad hot sauce in his pot of chili and said it was still hot. I'm not sure what to put it in yet but I'm looking forward to the heat. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    WeberWho said:
    Straight up habaneros?

Carolina Reaper is an order of magnitude hotter, so I have zero expectation of it being pleasant.
    When it comes to these peppers, don't "eat with your eyes".

@Ozzie_Isaac I did not realize you were deep into the heat.  Below is the table that I am confident you are familiar with:
    A Scoville Heat Scale For Measuring Cybersecurity
    I have dried those two down for a friend a couple of times.  Everything done with them is handled outside including the grinding, with gloves.  You are well above my tolerance messing with those.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac I did not realize you were deep into the heat.  Below is the table that I am confident you are familiar with:
    I have dried those two down for a friend a couple of times.  Everything done with them is handled outside including the grinding, with gloves.  You are well above my tolerance messing with those.  
    I have a Ghost Pepper Rub from Oak Ridge that I sprinkle on my popcorn.  I really like it and a secondary benefit is nobody eats my portion of the popcorn.
  • I have planted Chocolate Habaneros, they produce abundantly here. That explains why my hot barbecue sauce was a jar of lava with 4 per 3 pints but just right with 2.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Starting my Christmas gift buying.  With all the strikes, worker shortage, and USPS changes, never to early to start. Can't wait for the wife to open this:

• lousubcap said:
    I have a Ghost Pepper Rub from Oak Ridge that I sprinkle on my popcorn.  I really like it and a secondary benefit is nobody eats my portion of the popcorn.
    Great idea. We also have a ghost pepper seasoning but I hadn’t thought to use it on popcorn - probably because it is salt based and the popcorn already has enough. Will throw caution to the wind and try though. 
  • We hosted a small gathering last week at which time we made tacos. I put out some hot sauces for myself and the guests and gave everyone ample warning about some of the subject bottles. Picked up Da Bomb and proceeded to pour it directly into my taco, but more came out than I wanted and I ended up completely dousing the taco. A few bites in, I was hiccuping and had to step away from the table. Wife knew something was up and called me out. I use Da Bomb regularly but had never before applied it quite so liberally. Will try not to repeat that mistake. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    We hosted a small gathering last week at which time we made tacos. I put out some hot sauces for myself and the guests and gave everyone ample warning about some of the subject bottles. Picked up Da Bomb and proceeded to pour it directly into my taco, but more came out than I wanted and I ended up completely dousing the taco. A few bites in, I was hiccuping and had to step away from the table. Wife knew something was up and called me out. I use Da Bomb regularly but had never before applied it quite so liberally. Will try not to repeat that mistake. 
    Grin and bear it 🤣. I meant to do that.  Yes, I am fine.  No, hiccups and fainting spells are normal.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    WeberWho said:
    Straight up habaneros?

I sliced a batch of jalapeños last weekend to dehydrate them and washed my hands at least 3 times.  Several hours later, I scratched one of my eyes and within a couple of seconds started feeling warmth and then could not keep it open because it was so painful.  I ended up using a portable bidet (don’t ask) to wash my eye with distilled water.  I wont make that mistake again, going forward I’ll be wearing gloves.  I can’t imagine what would have happened if it was habanero or ghost pepper.  Next weekend is habanero harvest.  The bidet was new and never used, it came as a bonus with the « primary » device 😂🤣.

paqman said:
    I ended up using a portable bidet (don’t ask) to wash my eye with distilled water.  
     😂🤣.
    Oh HELL no!  You’re not getting off that easy, on this one!  Deets, stat!  :lol:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
    I ended up using a portable bidet (don’t ask) to wash my eye with distilled water.  
     😂🤣.
    Oh HELL no!  You’re not getting off that easy, on this one!  Deets, stat!  :lol:  
    I thought everyone knew what a portable bidet was. 

😂🤣

Long story short, our bidet came bundled with a portable bidet as a value added bonus.  I am not exactly ready to use a portable bidet so it ended up not being used and stored in a washroom drawer.  SWMBO was away with the car and not expected to come back for at least another hour.  I wasn’t able to open my eye and the other one was crying so I had to find a way to rinse my eye.  The bidet reminded me of the emergency chemical showers we had at school so I filled it with distilled water and rinsed my eye. It worked great.  I still do not plan to use it but at that specific moment, I was VERY happy to have it.  

paqman said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
     😂🤣.

😂🤣

Long story short, our bidet came bundled with a portable bidet as a value added bonus.  I am not exactly ready to use a portable bidet so it ended up not being used and stored in a washroom drawer.  SWMBO was away with the car and not expected to come back for at least another hour.  I wasn’t able to open my eye and the other one was crying so I had to find a way to rinse my eye.  The bidet reminded me of the emergency chemical showers we had at school so I filled it with distilled water and rinsed my eye. It worked great.  I still do not plan to use it but at that specific moment, I was VERY happy to have it.  

Oh man, please please leave a review on their website detailing the use as an emergency eye wash 🤣
  • paqman said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
     😂🤣.

😂🤣

What caused you to have one eye closed shut and the other crying in the first place?  

I know they say you can go blind if you do it too much but I always thought that was an old wives tale.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    JohnInCarolina said:
    What caused you to have one eye closed shut and the other crying in the first place?  
    I can't speak for eyes, but it may have to do with your dominant hand.
    Right about 1988 in Albuquerque, my buddy and I split a bushel of freshly-roasted Hatch chile, and we peeled the whole bunch and divided them into bags, for the freezer.  It took several hours (we were clueless gringos) and I had to take a leak.
    Scream.  Vigorous Dance.  And finally a jump into the shower, fully-clothed.  I know both hands were stinging at that point, but I know my dominant hand is employed during a piss (sorry, TMI).  
    My buddy laughed his ass off; at least, until he rubbed his eye, then I got to laugh a bit.  Don't remember which eye, or which hand, but I bet it has something to do with your dominant hand.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    Eoin said:

I like that idea.  My plan was to just eat them, or add whole to soups and stews, but homemade pepper flakes sounds like a great idea too.

i canned a few jars of pickled string beans with ghost pepper a few weeks ago, things are hot but addicting
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Eoin said:

i canned a few jars of pickled string beans with ghost pepper a few weeks ago, things are hot but addicting
    That is an amazing idea!  Will have to try that.