Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Debating on pulling the plug and purchasing a new phone. The iphone 13 pro max has my curiosity peaked. .. I need a new phone bad..mine is 2017 model half the time it says "too cold to charge " when I plug in and its hit or miss if I have a working phone in the mornings.

I've been a long time Android fan..they have tended to serve me well and I like the fact I can use an SD card to expand the memory..but the current card has corrupted half my pics anyway..and I HATE the pop up ads and other BS that comes with it now...

Someone advise me
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    DuckDogDr said:
    Debating on pulling the plug and purchasing a new phone. The iphone 13 pro max has my curiosity peaked. .. I need a new phone bad..mine is 2017 model half the time it says "too cold to charge " when I plug in and its hit or miss if I have a working phone in the mornings.

I've been a long time Android fan..they have tended to serve me well and I like the fact I can use an SD card to expand the memory..but the current card has corrupted half my pics anyway..and I HATE the pop up ads and other BS that comes with it now...

Someone advise me
    I’m sure you would be super happy with the new iPhone 13 Pro.
    I'm still using a 8+ and it easily does everything I need it to do.
    I hope to keep using it til it’s dead, broken or lost.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you can wait a little while, the Pixel 7 XL is coming out.  Fantastic camera, great all around by the makers of Android.  Will be available on all networks and works anywhere in the world.  Also look at Fi service.  Way cheaper than the flagship iphone.
    edited September 2021
    kl8ton said:
    Lit said:
    Ended up just getting it all.
    I'll be interested to hear how you like it.  Made in the USA, correct?  I have a Solo Stove (the bonfire size) and would like a larger one for the house.  I may just keep the Solo Stove in the camper.  I am ASSuming they operate in the same way.

Sidenote: I am tired of explaining to passersby that until the fire is mature/fully engaged, yes it smokes.  
    I got my Breeo this spring and absolutely love it.  The weathering steel around the outside is starting to get a nice petina.

The best thing is I can get a fire going in it quicker than my BGE even.  It's made to seriously combust wood.

I couldn't imagine cooking on it though because it makes a flame like and after burner jet.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663

so far at&t has shipped me 2 maestro u102 flip phones and 2 maestro u202 cell phones for free. im sure they are out 10 bucks by now.  this should improve my food pics. if i were an afgan refugee i might shoot someone for this

Alcatel U102AA Cingular Flip IV 28quot 4GB Storage 512 RAM Black 4G-LTE ATampT  Prepaid Cellphone - Walmartcom - Walmartcom
    Unlock ATampT MAESTRO U202AA

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    anyone have the moto g series phones, this ones pushing my budget but it looks to have a good camera....dont understand why these things are this big

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    A buddy and I picked up some returned generators for a good discount.  We might be able to get another $800 off through FEMA.
    edited September 2021
    A buddy and I picked up some returned generators for a good discount.  We might be able to get another $800 off through FEMA.

how many generators do you have now =) are you creating your own grid
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Someone just gave me an older 8500 old-school open frame non-inverter.  One doesn't work.  All together I guess 6 and that doesn't include one of the two above even though it will "live" at my shop until needed.
    I have a generator fetish I guess.  Probably more of an electricity fetish than anything.
  • So, bought 2 bottles of 12yo Yamazaki at the local East Texas package store a month ago. Great folks, they had to order the second bottle and called when the second bottle was in. Gave the two bottles to two of the team for their extra effort on recent things and all is good. 

The package store called me today, they had access to a 18yo Yamazaki and ordered it thinking I’m good for it. They are right. Good folks at “hoot’n’holler” in gun barrel city Texas!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    22.5" griddle from these guys, Hunsakersmokers.com
    WSM Griddle Plate22.5" WSM
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

• Sideways. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

Sideways. 
    If that was a Cabernet, I would say "I see what you did there."   =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzJR4Emxvo

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SonVolt said:
    That ones 32" which is probably too big. I'm thinking 24" would be the sweet spot for me. 

the pan throws me, it looks flat, not slightly concave and it isnt dimpled to hold the grease along the bottom under the rice. not an expert on these but thats what ive seen
    Jesus, fish. Aren’t you an expert in metals and heating and stuff?

the dimpling keeps the otherwise thin metal from deforming and going convex. Broscientists may have come up with the grease thing, but there’s no grease in paella that needs to be coddled. 

JohninCarolina will walk you through it if you need him to. He’s a materials guy. 
  • LOL
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

Sideways. 
    Dark colour. What's it like? I assume that having spent the money, you cracked it open to see what you bought!
  • nolaegghead

SonVolt said:
    That ones 32" which is probably too big. I'm thinking 24" would be the sweet spot for me. 

the pan throws me, it looks flat, not slightly concave and it isnt dimpled to hold the grease along the bottom under the rice. not an expert on these but thats what ive seen
    The original carbon steel pans ("paella" is actually the name of the pan) were a bit concave to keep the olive oil in the center when sauteing the vegetables.  Modern pans are totally flat. 

Yukihira pans are dimpled, using an old trick before teflon was invented and all they had were hand tools.  Using ball-peen like hammers, they would beat the sh!t out of he pans putting in the dimples so food wouldn't stick as much to the pot/pan.

Pretty sure Sunvolt's pan is actually dimpled, just hard to see in that photo because they are small.  But it's def flatter than Cameron Diaz.

• Eoin said:

Sideways. 
    Dark colour. What's it like? I assume that having spent the money, you cracked it open to see what you bought!
    It’s got a very strong oak flavor.  I’ve had it before- it used to be quite available but now is hard to find. Hibiki is my favorite Suntory whisky, but that’s even harder to get. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Eoin said:

Sideways. 
    It’s got a very strong oak flavor.  I’ve had it before- it used to be quite available but now is hard to find. Hibiki is my favorite Suntory whisky, but that’s even harder to get. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQnH450hPM

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Eoin said:

Sideways. 
    You must like Scotch. I find, at least to my uncultured palate, that the Japanese bottles tend to be more peaty than the good ole American bottles
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2021

SonVolt said:

The original carbon steel pans ("paella" is actually the name of the pan) were a bit concave to keep the olive oil in the center when sauteing the vegetables.  Modern pans are totally flat. 

Yukihira pans are dimpled, using an old trick before teflon was invented and all they had were hand tools.  Using ball-peen like hammers, they would beat the sh!t out of he pans putting in the dimples so food wouldn't stick as much to the pot/pan.

Pretty sure Sunvolt's pan is actually dimpled, just hard to see in that photo because they are small.  But it's def flatter than Cameron Diaz.

I still haven't ordered one yet. I'm thinking of just getting the burner and skipping the "authentic" paella pan altogether.  Supposedly their thinness and reacting to temp changes quickly is a feature of these pans, but I've had good results with heavy Lodge skillets. 

I put an order in for a 20" 5mm thick gauge aluminum double-loop pan. Should be a good compromise. Plus, no rust.  Like this, but a lot bigger.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Eoin - Enjoy the cook.  As you well know, mis en place is the key to managing the cook.
    You can feed a good sized crowd with that one.  Here's to nailing the socarrat. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Bought this gizmo on impulse, like new condition, couldn't resist it at twelve loonies. Anyone knows anything about it?  :)

B
    ffff

canuckland
  • Bought this gizmo on impulse, like new condition, couldn't resist it at twelve loonies. Anyone knows anything about it?  :)

B
    ffff

That font really does scream impulse buy. Please be sure to report back on your first lotion!

Curious as to that cocktail on the bottom right. I’d start there, if I were you. 🙂
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    @GrateEggspectations Haha, I figured it's worth the gamble, apparently this retails for over 200 loonies. Should have no problem disposing it on Kijiji if I don't like it.
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited September 2021
    I scanned the website, I get the name now.  It’s meant for making edibles.