Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello, First Post- Gifted Ribs

Options
Hello, all. 
I’ve been a member now for years here, and have just lurked and read and learned. Bookmarked, many of your recipes, and took so much of your advice to create some wonderful food on the Eggs.
   I’ve got two Green Eggs. One was inherited from my mother, and one was given to me used by my wife’s dad. He just really never got into it, too dirty I suppose.
  Bought this table at a restaurant supply, and had a buddy plasma cut two holes in it, to have both Eggs, sit just perfect.
 My neighbors, had their house completely burn down, due to a Li-ion scooter battery explode on a charger. They lost Everything.
Well, they just had a new house built, and moved back in this last week. I wanted to do something cool, so I went back to the cash and carry food place, and bought 3 slabs of baby backs.
   I have done turbo ribs, but only ever do some variance of 3-2-1 now. My thermometer is way off, reads way low, and can’t be adjusted it seems. The nut on the back is like lock tighted or something. 
So, these I think went 3.5/ -3 / 2
I swear by Dizzy Pig, and have used most of their offerings. These ones, I think were swamp venom and crossroads.
They were drizzled lightly with some orange juice after a couple hours. Foiled with no liquid, although I’ve used many things before, like apple juice. 
At the near end, I’ve learned to avoid making a huge mess, I take the foiled ribs out, and and cut it into a cradle shape, and hit it with the sauce. In this case, I used a combination of butter, brown sugar, and honey.
I walked over and gave these two slabs to the neighbors. I took a photo, for the only reason to share with you all, and to thank you for all the great lessons. Can’t speak more highly of the Big Green Eggs.
  Despite breaking two large lids by not checking the bolt tightness, but that’s another story!
One more quick shout out, to Ceramic Grill Store in Texas, Lazarus Mesquite Lump, Costco 500 foot rolls of Aluminum Foil, and once more, Dizzy Pig.  :)
Peace.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Way to step out of the shadows and post up a great opening thread.  Nice job on those ribs.  I'm sure your gesture was extremely well received and enjoyed.  
    Surprised by the issue with your thermo adjusting nut as the Tel-Tru thermos are rock steady.  The most I have adjusted one is around 5*F and that was a few years ago.  I one point check them in boiling water around every 2-3 months.  Many will say that's excessive and while it may be, I also believe in "trust your indications" and the check is quick.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    welcome @Westons_Annex , nice ribs and great gift 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Great post and Nice ribs. I am a Dizzy Pig fan myself. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Westons_Annex
    Options
    It’s one of the ‘funniest’ things I’ve read here. Something like, “ We cook to doneness, not by time…”
      Completely true! When is it going to done??? Hey! I don’t go by ‘hours’ you know that!

It’s not visible, but the tray under those ribs is a silver platter. We found it, cleaning out a house of Mrs. Annex’s best, most beloved friend when she passed. 
    I said, oh, this is gonna get some use.

So now, when the thighs or ribs or brisket or pulled pork or atomic Buffalo turds are taking FOREVER, I can finally bring It all in,  ‘on a silver platter!’
    Deep down, I think her friend would have thought it all comical.
    I am going to go out on a limb, and say, most everyone of you know what I’m talking about…
  • EGGING_Around
    Options
    Wish I had neighbors like you. 
    XL BGE ACACIA table
    Shawnee State Forest Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited September 2021
    Options
    very nice gesture on your part!  Hats off to you
    BTW . . . where are you located?  curious minds want to know 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Westons_Annex
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    very nice gesture on your part!  Hats off to you
    BTW . . . where are you located?  curious minds want to know

yea i need to fill out my profile…

Just south of Eugene, Oregon. 
    Oddly enough, it was a loco engineer that used his plasma cutter to cut the holes. I was also affiliated with a certain yellow and red colored rail outfit. If you are in Kansas, you very well might be as well 😀
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That’s awesome.
    Post a little more when you can.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EGGING_Around
    EGGING_Around Posts: 9
    edited September 2021
    Options