Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My niece bought a new car last night…

How it started 
How it’s going 
Rear ended taking her kids to school this morning. 

Nobody hurt. 

Uninsured driver hit her going 50 mph. 

Totaled. 
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    edited August 2021
    Ohh man. That's rough. I really hope she bought Gap insurance and has uninsured motorists coverage.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    She’s totally covered. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2021
    That sucks. I had the same thing happen to the front of my car 16 years ago. Unfortunately I was apparently $500 shy of it being totaled so instead they rebuilt the entire front end of my car. Still driving that 4runner today and it's got 270,000 miles on it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    What’s the chances?! That sucks 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm glad everyone was okay. Dang. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i know this feeling.  made 2 days on the last one and 11 on the one before that. good crumple zone on that vehicle, the side still looks like new. good that everyones ok, thats a hard hit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Are you kidding me!?!?!?!  Were they hit by the @SonVolt oven delivery drivers?

It sucks that this happened! I do enjoy seeing a pic like this showing that the design of the car absorbed the impact as designed, with no occupant injuries.  I used to run FEA (simulation) on car parts, make changes to product design on occasion based on results, etc.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    What a screw job.  As above, glad all are okay.  But dealing with it is such a friggin pain.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I got smashed the same way taking a test ride in an awd eagle talon, couldn’t believe it. Dealer friend of mine told me they came out okay and gave me a deal on mine.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Sorry, glad your niece and the kids are OK.
    Uninsured drivers are becoming a bigger issue every day!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Yikes. Sometimes those injuries are slow to develop.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    well hello there  B)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Yep, I got rear ended at a stop sign by a city dump truck back in 1998. They paid to fix it but it was never the same. I did get 6 months out of it though.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Dang! That's quite a hit. Glad that all were ok. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Damn the bad luck! Just glad everyone is ok. Wishing all the best!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Glad everyone is okay, that's the important thing.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    46 years selling new cars. That happens more than you think. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Glad to hear that everyone is ok - definitely a testament to how well newer cars are engineered to protect the occupants.

Back in 2000 I was driving down to Maryland to on-board with a Fortune 500 a couple weeks after retiring from the Navy. Traffic jam on I-95 so I got on Route 1 in Milford, CT to bypass the mess. Was waiting for a car in front to turn left and got rear-ended by a nurse on her way to work - she was doing 50 mph. 

At that time I was in my 1999 F-150 and she was in a Toyota Corolla. Her bumper hit my trailer hitch receiver and the radiator ended up pushed up and over the engine and broke the windshield. Both of us were wearing seatbelts and no one was injured.

Got back from Maryland and the truck went in to the shop for repairs (bumper was dented and scratched so I demanded a brand new factory replacement. 

Was driving a rental car and got rear-ended by a city of West Haven dump truck (big 10 wheeler type). Driver claimed his brakes failed but when I saw him coming in the rear-view mirror he wasn't looking at the road. 

That was a lousy week. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Very glad to see everyone is safe. Since Covid, so many more cars are totaled. Open roads and high speeds seem to be getting every type of vehicle out there, commercial, private, you name it.

Stay safe. Stay well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Bought a Denali Pickup in 2017 and rear ended someone within 3 minutes still  in the shadow of the dealer sign. Was just a fender bender but still not what I had in mind for the day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Bought a Denali Pickup in 2017 and rear ended someone within 3 minutes still  in the shadow of the dealer sign. Was just a fender bender but still not what I had in mind for the day. 
    Love it when people are able to share their failures/errors - especially online when it is so easy to but only one’s successes on display. Great sign of humility and leadership, IMO. 
    Love it when people are able to share their failures/errors - especially online when it is so easy to but only one’s successes on display. Great sign of humility and leadership, IMO. 
    Ha ha. If I didn’t share my eff-ups I wouldn’t have anything to talk about. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bought a Denali Pickup in 2017 and rear ended someone within 3 minutes still  in the shadow of the dealer sign. Was just a fender bender but still not what I had in mind for the day. 
    Ha ha. If I didn’t share my eff-ups I wouldn’t have anything to talk about. 
    LOL