Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookies, achieving different textures

Options
1235»

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Since the steel cut oats take substantially longer to cook (btw they are horrible microwaved), I wonder if they will work in the cookies.  I am curious to see how they turn out for you.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    Since the steel cut oats take substantially longer to cook (btw they are horrible microwaved), I wonder if they will work in the cookies.  I am curious to see how they turn out for you.

I just looked at both labels.  So the steel cut cook faster.  They are both whole grain.  So I asked myself why the hell would it take longer to cook the old fashioned, which are "rolled oats".   I think I got it.  The steel cut are cut across the grain.  The rolled are cut, I guess, with the grain.

Other than that, they are the same.  I can see the benefit of old fashioned being in theory having more texture.  But probably splitting hairs here.
    Options
    Took some time to go where I have been meaning to stop for years which is about 20 mins from me. 

It is a production plant and they specialize primarily on agricultural molasses.  That explains the warehouse and the containers in the next pictures. Apparently they put out the clean out from their machines for local farmers (next picture).  They also have a division for human food consumption. They have a small outlet store which you can see in the second picture below (just above the car). 

I went in and found out they are closing that store on 12/31. When I left to go this morning I was thinking of getting pint of molasses. That’s it. 

Everything was half off, so I picked up a few things and a bit larger quantity than I would normally have bought.  What am I going to do with 1/2 gallon of molasses? I do not know. But for $5.75 the price was right. I think I can make a lot of cookies with it. 

Other goodies:
    I do not know what to do with coconut oil and I never heard of sorghum syrup. But I got some.

They mix the brown sugar there as well, so I got 5 lbs for $2.35. 

I think I can/should make some cookies soon. Stay tuned...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Suzy has been baking like she is cooking for an army. Her Toll House recipe, is the stuff of which dreams are made. I dare not approach her to offer any modification of her recipe, as I do not wish her efforts to cease.

Biscuits, loafs, cookies and pies. Heaven.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Took some time to go where I have been meaning to stop for years which is about 20 mins from me. 

It is a production plant and they specialize primarily on agricultural molasses.  That explains the warehouse and the containers in the next pictures. Apparently they put out the clean out from their machines for local farmers (next picture).  They also have a division for human food consumption. They have a small outlet store which you can see in the second picture below (just above the car). 

I went in and found out they are closing that store on 12/31. When I left to go this morning I was thinking of getting pint of molasses. That’s it. 

Everything was half off, so I picked up a few things and a bit larger quantity than I would normally have bought.  What am I going to do with 1/2 gallon of molasses? I do not know. But for $5.75 the price was right. I think I can make a lot of cookies with it. 

Other goodies:
    I do not know what to do with coconut oil and I never heard of sorghum syrup. But I got some.

They mix the brown sugar there as well, so I got 5 lbs for $2.35. 

I think I can/should make some cookies soon. Stay tuned...
    Sorghum Syrup or Sorghum Molasses is made from the stalks of the Sorghum plant.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTVFOHekaM
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:

I read it all.  Excellent info.  I'm going to utilize it.
    Options
    @caliking that recipe book has some good stuff. I also came across this gem. Wow. It’s so bad it’s possible I made it up:

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options

Options

How do you not weigh 500lbs?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I give most of them away.  In fact, I've lost weight.  Yesterday I drilled a couple extra holes on the thin side of a belt I bought at the MN state fair about 2 years ago.
    edited December 2020
    Options
    My son made a batch of these last night, nola, following the guide you posted. His first ever. 

They were the best frigging chocolate chip cookies I ever had. 

What was interesting to me is that he is just starting to cook, and yet he nails everything the first time. Astounding really. 

Problem is he still had a college schedule. So he makes this stuff at midnight or later. 

Made a banana cream pie from scratch one night just ad the wife and I were going up to bed. Next up was a flan. 

Funny kid. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @PigBeanUs have him try this one.  There is a link in there that Cali posted that goes through their experiments that resulted in this recipe.  I've made 3 batches of these and they really can't be improved, IMO.  I add more chocolate salt and vanilla, but that is because I like strong bold flavors.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jesseszewczyk/heres-how-to-make-buzzfeeds-best-chocolate-chip-cookies
    I give most of them away.  In fact, I've lost weight.  Yesterday I drilled a couple extra holes on the thin side of a belt I bought at the MN state fair about 2 years ago.
    I don't want to derail this wonderful thread, but how did you end up at the MN State Fair?
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Business routinely over the years at an office there.
    Options
    Business routinely over the years at an office there.
    My boss gave us money and said "have fun, I'll meet up there later".  Then she showed up, kept the drinks flowing for the group.  She's the consummate mom.

Options
    Got a lot of great ideas going through this thread.  Made some killer cookies this year.  Anyone interested in a new rabbit hole should try making homemade vanilla extract.  Fun to make and great tasting.  Here is this year's batch.  
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• nolaegghead
    Options

Options

THIS is my fav cookie - my sweet tooth is Manageable  . . until THC is introduced then it’s ON - anyway that looks insane.  

Hard to eat that stuff and hit my weight loss goal - by October I’m trying to get down to my Birth Weight . . Fingers Crossed.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Sigh. 
     Some threads go straight to my asz
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!