Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg versus Traeger Grill

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    YukonRon said:
    A former neighbor of mine, had a pellet grill, and for whatever reason, the pellet feeder would jam up in the humid weather. (Maybe the type of pellets he used?) That thing spent more time in the garage than on his patio.

His wife surprised him with a BGE. He liked the Traeger, but he really enjoys his BGE, due to its ability to deliver tasty food, without having to disassemble and repair. 

I just told him, “wait until your base cracks.”

There may indeed be a few plus and minus lists with both, but I just rather have BGE type cooker, and deal with the ceramic issues.
    Humid weather causes the pellets to swell and more prone to jam if you leave the pellets in the hopper or don't store them in a air tight container.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn said:
    Matt Pittman (Meat Church) uses a Traeger Timberline on his YT channel and seems to get great results. The basic pro model does not have the Super Smoke feature but the Ironwood and Timberline models do. So perhaps it depends on which model you are using. The Ironwood and Timberline can get up to 500 degrees so you can sear especially if you use Grill Grates.
    Malcom Reed from How to BBQ Right uses a Yoder on occasion and also achieves good results.
    So I think it depends on which manufacturer and model you choose.

For me I only had space for one smoker and I wanted the sear a steak so the XL was a logical choice for me.

My Step Son just got a Traeger and I steered him into getting the Ironwood instead of the Pro. He is obsessed with it and now thinks that he is the greatest Pit Master in the world. 
    I think the real reason these guys are using pellet grills in their videos is because so many home cooks are using them now, which helps them get more views and likes.  People who purchase pellet grills are probably more inclined to look for how-to videos.  Many of these guys have deals with the manufacturers.   

Btw, I’m not passing judgement on pellet grills or the guys in the videos.  More power to them.  I say you do you.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    I love my Weber smokefire pellet grill. It has absolutely exceeded my expectations. I had a green mountain grill pellet cooker, and it didn’t impress me much. The Weber launch was bumpy, but they ironed out the issues and the cooker is incredible. I do a lot of high heat cooking on it since it can get really really hot. So hot, it’s uncomfortable standing in front of it to flip the protein. 
    I have wanted to try out a good pellet smoker for several years. My biggest issues dropping the cash is living in a humid salty environment. The thinner stamped material used on most of these would rust away in a year.
    Looked into the Weber Smokefire when it first came out. Loved the specs but to many complaints to risk the money. Jumped on Craigslist last night and found 1 that I figured to be a scam or at best a first gen because of the low price. I got lucky. New in the box and appears to be 2nd gen newer upgraded model. I will know for sure tomorrow. Had to take it out of the box and load it piece by piece into my Subaru Outback where it’s now hiding from my better half. I folded up the outer box and kept it along with packing slip still taped to box. From web search it looks to be the newer sku# on box and packing slip. Appreciate your encouraging words about the grill. It pushed me to look again.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon said:
    A former neighbor of mine, had a pellet grill, and for whatever reason, the pellet feeder would jam up in the humid weather. (Maybe the type of pellets he used?) That thing spent more time in the garage than on his patio.

Humidity made the pellets swell I bet.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    From reading reviews and actual pellet grill owners' comments, every brand/model of pellet grills has a different smoke profile. The actual smoke profile is heavily dependent on the cooking temperature. I have a fairly large pellet smoker. It produces the best smoke at 190° F. I typically smoke butts at 190°F for 8 Hours and then increase the temp to 250°F for the remainder of the cook.
    The butts have a really good smoke flavor without being over smoked and never have a bitter smoke taste.

Pellet grills and smokers like any other type require time to learn how to use them in order to achieve the results you are looking for. I can safely say the majority of people using the pellet grills will be satisfied with the flavor, once they learn the way they like to run the grill. 

Traeger was the first manufacture of pellet grills from what I've read. They were really well built in the early years. I believe the company changed ownership sometime in the past and the grill production was moved to China. The quality really suffered. I think they are still currently made in China, however, the reports I'm seeing now say the quality has been greatly improved.

I don't think there is a direct comparison between the Egg and the Traeger. I recommend having both.

• Photo Egg said:
    I love my Weber smokefire pellet grill. It has absolutely exceeded my expectations. I had a green mountain grill pellet cooker, and it didn’t impress me much. The Weber launch was bumpy, but they ironed out the issues and the cooker is incredible. I do a lot of high heat cooking on it since it can get really really hot. So hot, it’s uncomfortable standing in front of it to flip the protein. 
    I have wanted to try out a good pellet smoker for several years. My biggest issues dropping the cash is living in a humid salty environment. The thinner stamped material used on most of these would rust away in a year.
    Looked into the Weber Smokefire when it first came out. Loved the specs but to many complaints to risk the money. Jumped on Craigslist last night and found 1 that I figured to be a scam or at best a first gen because of the low price. I got lucky. New in the box and appears to be 2nd gen newer upgraded model. I will know for sure tomorrow. Had to take it out of the box and load it piece by piece into my Subaru Outback where it’s now hiding from my better half. I folded up the outer box and kept it along with packing slip still taped to box. From web search it looks to be the newer sku# on box and packing slip. Appreciate your encouraging words about the grill. It pushed me to look again.

I have never been disappointed with a Weber product.  If I were inclined to get a pellet smoker that would be the one.  I hope you post your experiences.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Photo Egg said:

• Photo Egg
    Bar said:
    Photo Egg said:

More like…”Why do you need 20 smokers!”…
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Photo Egg said:
    Bar said:
    Photo Egg said:

Some people collect coins, some collect stamps, some collect ...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Bar said:
    Photo Egg said:

Some people collect coins, some collect stamps, some collect ...
    Collect exwives.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Photo Egg sounds oddly similar to a guy bringing a commercial meat slicer home...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great score, BTW. You're still king of sniffing out a good deal. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    @Photo Egg sounds oddly similar to a guy bringing a commercial meat slicer home...
    “Your” slicer was easier to hide.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:

Glad I could help, and nice score!  Weber is so good that even if its a gen 1, you call them and they will send all the parts to make it a gen 2.  I waited until I could purchase a factory 2nd gen, but the reality is that they probably just took a gen 1, opened the box and swapped the parts to make it a gen 2.  I have a few friends with these grills, and they are big fans as well.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:

Glad I could help, and nice score!  Weber is so good that even if its a gen 1, you call them and they will send all the parts to make it a gen 2.  I waited until I could purchase a factory 2nd gen, but the reality is that they probably just took a gen 1, opened the box and swapped the parts to make it a gen 2.  I have a few friends with these grills, and they are big fans as well.
    Got it put together today. Did a test fire to burn off the factory oils, test stability and software updates. All went perfect. Definitely a Gen 2 that left Weber only a few weeks ago. Also much larger than I thought it would be. How many pounds of pellets do you burn through in a 3-4 hour cook at 275-300 compared to 12-14 hour low and slow?
    Bought a bag of B&B Championship blend, 40# for $15, on advice from a member at VWB site. Have no comparison but will cook a few things tomorrow with it.
    Thanks again!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    The biggest thing that bugs me about pellet grills is they require an outlet. I don't like the idea that if my power goes out I can't cook food on it. With the winterpocolypse we had back in February I liked knowing that had I lost power for any extended period of time I could have cooked everything I needed to on my Eggs without concern. It also annoys me that because they require zero skill to use, every manbun wearing, latte drinking millennial idiot thinks they are Aaron Franklin or Ronnie Scott now.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited August 2021
    I’m glad the make all kinds of grills and smokers. 
    It’s neat looking at the neighbors selection. One is a die hard Weber Kettle guy, two others are offset smoker guys, and me an egghead. Each swears by their cooker. But I judge them by how they light it. I disagree with anyone using lighter fluid. Once that smell is in my nose all the food tastes like it. 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I catch anti pellet snobbery sometimes when I mention my PB, but I only care about the food. I've had really good ribs a friend cooked in their electric oven. If it tastes great I try to observe something I can apply to my cooks. 

My main complaint of my PB is that the fan is loud. Not sure if all are as loud but if it were a lot quieter that would be an improvement. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @danhoo - consider me unelightened as when I first read PB I immediately thought of the Pit Barrel Cooker (which I own) then the fan noise was definitely a curve.  ???
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bar
    edited August 2021
    Pit Boss pellet cooker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    lousubcap said:
    @danhoo - consider me unelightened as when I first read PB I immediately thought of the Pit Barrel Cooker (which I own) then the fan noise was definitely a curve.  ???
    If PB is pit barrel cooker, what is PBC? you know I'm messing with you  ;)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    ^^^ @Bar spot on, I used to thumb my nose at gasser and pellet pooper, now my XL and Large are used infrequently.
    canuckland
  • Bar
    Oh man…………..I don’t need another smoker.  😕
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Bar - Always remember, "life is not based on need alone!"  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.