Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

full racks of ribs on a large?

how best to fit 3 or 4?

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you don't have a rack to hold them vertically, you can roll them up and tie with twine or use skewers.
    edited July 2021
    So, ribs on edge? vs flat on more than one grate? 

I have a rack, but only one grate. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • nolaegghead
    On edge.  Yep. But if you have a rack you should be able to get 4 in it.you can cut them in half if that helps
    Thanks. 
  • DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited July 2021
    danhoo said:
    how best to fit 3 or 4?

I get 6.  All standing veritable, 4 in the tub rack and two standing outside the rack and curved around it. All baby backs. 
    St Louis style I’m comfortable with 4. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q

If you search the forum for 20 racks, there are quite a few threads on this.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    With 4 racks, I would use a vertical rack and cut one rack in half.  Put the 3 whole racks in the center of the grate and a 1/2 rack on each side.  I don't have a picture of it, but hopefully that makes sense.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252

That is the standard rack 
  • ThrasherIII
    I have since purchased the CG set up and can easily do six on it 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited July 2021

Rib ring.  I do 5 full racks on a large.  Comes with drip pan.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    However you get there-toothpick test for the win.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    extra cheap weber grid at homedepot and some firebricks for two level cooking. makes for a better presentation. this was 2 butts over 2 briskets

2005012055jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I did a full rack on my MiniMax, recently using the roll method.

Sorta fun way to fit it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932

Love this pic. From about twenty years ago maybe? Pretty funny. 

Drives me crazy though. Pretty sure them’s slabs. Cut em up and they’s racks. 

slab=whole
    rack=four or so ribs together

or no?

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I guess maybe it's regional?  Where I come from it's a full rack, or a half rack.  No one here calls them slabs that I have ever heard.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    danhoo said:

You want them on the edge ... smoke/heat rises and cooks both sides more evenly. It's worse to lay them flat ... that's why guys use racks.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • ThrasherIII
    danhoo said:

You want them on the edge ... smoke/heat rises and cooks both sides more evenly. It's worse to lay them flat ... that's why guys use racks.
    Why would laying them bone-side down utilizing the natural rack. Especially if using the 3-2-1 method. 
  • 🍿
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited July 2021
    Foghorn said:
    With 4 racks, I would use a vertical rack and cut one rack in half.  Put the 3 whole racks in the center of the grate and a 1/2 rack on each side.  I don't have a picture of it, but hopefully that makes sense.
    Thanks, makes a lot of sense. I often cook 3 full slab-racks of St. Louis, and occasionally do 4.  My current metal rack was originally a roasting rack so I might look for one that holds the ribs a little better.

• Carolina Q
    PigBeanUs said:

Love this pic. From about twenty years ago maybe? Pretty funny. 

Drives me crazy though. Pretty sure them’s slabs. Cut em up and they’s racks. 

slab=whole
    rack=four or so ribs together

or no?

@PigBeanUs

To me, racks are the whole thing. So are slabs, just don't hear slabs much.

As for "pretty funny" pics, I like this one...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    There's not a current colloquial difference in USA bbq country in pork ribs between calling them or asking for racks vs slabs.  They're effectively the same thing.  If you want to find a difference I'm sure there's a context that fits the bill.  I've heard a rack is a collection of ribs connected together and a slab is all the ribs connected together.  Who really counts them when they're sold by weight? 

With lamb, a rack has the loin meat attached.  But then again, I don't recall just the ribs without the loin being very common (the "slab", I suppose).
     There's not a current colloquial difference in USA bbq country”

Get a load of Daniel Webster over here. 

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Slab vs rack  Let's see... 

WOW, check out the slab on the new neighbor. 

Doesn't quite seem the same 😎

• danhoo said:
    Slab vs rack  Let's see... 

WOW, check out the slab on the new neighbor. 

Doesn't quite seem the same 😎

“Check out that rack on that sow/pig”

Now that sounds perverted! 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    edited July 2021
    danhoo said:

Why would laying them bone-side down utilizing the natural rack. Especially if using the 3-2-1 method. 
    So would you say heat is even top and bottom? Are you getting equal smoke penetration top and bottom? I think if you have smoke running through them, edge side down, equally across both sides of the ribs ... you're smoke penetration and heat is gonna be the same.  Plus you can get A LOT more racks/slabs (lol) on the grid if you stand them up.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Bellavista52
    Bellavista52 Posts: 137
    I have heard of slab crappies, though.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • ThrasherIII
    danhoo said:

So would you say heat is even top and bottom? Are you getting equal smoke penetration top and bottom? I think if you have smoke running through them, edge side down, equally across both sides of the ribs ... you're smoke penetration and heat is gonna be the same.  Plus you can get A LOT more racks/slabs (lol) on the grid if you stand them up.
    The same questions could be asked in regards to stacking that many racks on an egg. The ribs that are stacked out past your place setter do they cook as evenly as the ones in the middle? Do you have the same equal smoke penetration with them stacked so close? I have always liked quality vs Quantity. Do you do this many and use the 3-2-1 method?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Butt or shoulder…
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL