Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

full racks of ribs on a large?

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

danhoo said:
    So, ribs on edge? vs flat on more than one grate? 

I have a rack, but only one grate. 
    You want them on the edge ... smoke/heat rises and cooks both sides more evenly. It's worse to lay them flat ... that's why guys use racks.
    Why would laying them bone-side down utilizing the natural rack. Especially if using the 3-2-1 method. 
    So would you say heat is even top and bottom? Are you getting equal smoke penetration top and bottom? I think if you have smoke running through them, edge side down, equally across both sides of the ribs ... you're smoke penetration and heat is gonna be the same.  Plus you can get A LOT more racks/slabs (lol) on the grid if you stand them up.
    The same questions could be asked in regards to stacking that many racks on an egg. The ribs that are stacked out past your place setter do they cook as evenly as the ones in the middle? Do you have the same equal smoke penetration with them stacked so close? I have always liked quality vs Quantity. Do you do this many and use the 3-2-1 method?
    Obviously (IMO) the heat isn't even and the amount of smoke isn't even in any cooking environment, including the egg.  When you're stuffing a grill, smoker or oven, you need to move things around in and out of the hot/cool zones so they cook more evenly and even then you will probably pull them off at different times when they're done, if you're paying attention and want good results.

Case in point: large scale commercial smokers have very large "sweet spots" and high levels of convection to more evenly cook large amounts without manual intervention.  That said, there's no substitute for checking and pulling food off when it's done, not before, not after, for the best quality.

The "3-2-1" method is ruinous to ribs.  I don't know how that phrase got popular. 

Options
    Rolli polli method I've done 6 slabs smoked then 3 flat on 2 layers to finish.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    Options
    I’ve done 4 in my egg. I don’t like when the racks bend, they don’t present on a plate as well. So I did them like this
    But then I wanted to able to do far more than this, so I got an XL
  • ALLCAPS
    ALLCAPS Posts: 9
    Options

danhoo said:
    So, ribs on edge? vs flat on more than one grate? 

I have a rack, but only one grate. 
    You want them on the edge ... smoke/heat rises and cooks both sides more evenly. It's worse to lay them flat ... that's why guys use racks.
    Why would laying them bone-side down utilizing the natural rack. Especially if using the 3-2-1 method. 
    So would you say heat is even top and bottom? Are you getting equal smoke penetration top and bottom? I think if you have smoke running through them, edge side down, equally across both sides of the ribs ... you're smoke penetration and heat is gonna be the same.  Plus you can get A LOT more racks/slabs (lol) on the grid if you stand them up.
    The same questions could be asked in regards to stacking that many racks on an egg. The ribs that are stacked out past your place setter do they cook as evenly as the ones in the middle? Do you have the same equal smoke penetration with them stacked so close? I have always liked quality vs Quantity. Do you do this many and use the 3-2-1 method?
    Obviously (IMO) the heat isn't even and the amount of smoke isn't even in any cooking environment, including the egg.  When you're stuffing a grill, smoker or oven, you need to move things around in and out of the hot/cool zones so they cook more evenly and even then you will probably pull them off at different times when they're done, if you're paying attention and want good results.

Case in point: large scale commercial smokers have very large "sweet spots" and high levels of convection to more evenly cook large amounts without manual intervention.  That said, there's no substitute for checking and pulling food off when it's done, not before, not after, for the best quality.

The "3-2-1" method is ruinous to ribs.  I don't know how that phrase got popular. 

Because it was easy to remember - mnemonic