Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vent guide for temperature

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Interesting - I find I get about 350F at their 375F top vent position, but with my bottom vent wide open.  I usually run the bottom wide open and control with the top...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I just saw this in another BGE room and thought it may have value to someone in this forum.

For those of us that still have the daisy wheel, this may apply in principle. Not sure?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    For those of us that still have the daisy wheel, this may apply in principle. Not sure?
    Courtesy @Grandpas Grub:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide#latest

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    Courtesy @Grandpas Grub:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide#latest
    My man, thank you for remembering this post snd sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    If you can hit 800 like that, i’m impressed. 

Still not fully open?

i take the chimney vent off completely, fwiw
  • YukonRon
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Still not fully open?

Must be the new top vent?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    That is helpful.  Thanks for posting.  👍
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    It depends when the last time I cleaned out the egg is. 
    NOLA
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options
    Bottom vent accelerator, top vent brake. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I remove the top vent completely and control temp (from 300° and up) with the lower vent only. Below 300°, I use the daisy AND the lower vent. But now that I turbo cook, I'm rarely below 300°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Personally I have never found any of these hints all that accurate, much less working every time to make them surefire. Maybe as a crutch for a newbie, but I find wind conditions, wind directions, humidity and even lump storage methods are issues affecting times and temperatures. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    PigBeanUs said:

Still not fully open?

Must be the new top vent?
    No vent can be more open than taking it off completely. 

• Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Options
    I have an xl and cook something every day. 1 bag of charcoal a week. All settings are one step off for me. Like 425-450 is that 600 setting and 250-275 is that 325 setting. My egg will go out at the first setting. 
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I agree with @RRP on the confounding variables for the settings. I think it varies on each Egg, my settings for 400 degrees are not the same as my brother’s Egg for the same temp. Natural variations in ceramic thickness, dome construction will also impact the amount of oxygen needed to maintain a given temperature. I know exactly where to set things to hit a temperature on my Egg, but trying those same settings on another Egg may not work. My $0.02.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    +1 on what RPP says.  Also, the biggest variable - how much lump you have in your egg.  A half loaded egg will not burn as hot as a fully loaded egg. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    DonWW said:
    +1 on what RPP says.  Also, the biggest variable - how much lump you have in your egg.  A half loaded egg will not burn as hot as a fully loaded egg. 
    I would agree if you do not control the oxygen. I can control the temperature on my XL to within + or - ~ 15°F, which is better than my supposedly state of the art oven in my kitchen.  I am able to do this, on half loads, or loaded up to the bottom of the deflector. I can do this on 20 hour cooks down to 5 hour cooks. Learning your vents for your BGE, is critical, each size is different. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RRP said:
    Personally I have never found any of these hints all that accurate, much less working every time to make them surefire. Maybe as a crutch for a newbie, but I find wind conditions, wind directions, humidity and even lump storage methods are issues affecting times and temperatures. 

In addition intensity of solar radiation hitting the egg makes a big difference. So do cooling rain showers. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Everyone must have much better temp control than I do, although I did notice one time that the relative humidity was up about 6% and my ribs took at least 4.5 minutes longer.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    Everyone must have much better temp control than I do, although I did notice one time that the relative humidity was up about 6% and my ribs took at least 4.5 minutes longer.
    Humidity is no joke.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    top vent sitting on ground, bottom vent wide open, screen removed...1200 dome temp.   never been able to get it over 1200f, maybe a fan would help
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sasspan
    Sasspan Posts: 1
    Options
    Purchased a LBGE a about two months ago and enjoying the heck out of it. Thank you for posting this! 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Sasspan said:
    Purchased a LBGE a about two months ago and enjoying the heck out of it. Thank you for posting this! 
    Congrats and welcome to wallet genocide! Great to have you. Anything I can do to help just reach out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Sasspan

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @Sasspan - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    There is a world of good information here. Most of them are constructive. Great bunch overall. 
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.