Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I hold a thawed, rubbed/seasoned pork butt?

Options
My Sunday morning pork butt cook couldn't happen because of issues with my LBGE. In the process of prepping for a new gasket (thanks, @RRP ) I decided to take the guts out of my now, mostly clean, egg I discovered that the firebox has a crack that nearly circles the firebox. Honestly, I was surprised that it didn't fall apart into two pieces when I removed it this morning. I don't know how soon I can get a replacement firebox. I suspect I'll have the new gasket on Thursday. 
Could it possibly be safe to hold the thawed and prepped for cooking pork butt until Friday or Saturday? That seems like a really long time. I don't want to waste it. I don't have another means of cooking it other than indoor options - which would be WAY inferior.
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Did the firebox ring fall apart? If not put it back in there and use it to cook the butt. I have seen egg heads use them in 3-4 pieces and still cook with them with no noticeable damage or cooking issues.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I would cook now and pull when finished.  Then use a reheat (plenty of options via the search function here or thru google and eggheadforum).  The smoke presence always seems better a few days after the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This isn't what you asked, but it's not necessary to use a gasket. Lots of guys cook without one. Might burn a little extra lump, but so what.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Im betting there is enough salt that it will be fine, if not partially cured after a few days ...you are basically doing the first steps of a whole muscle cure 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    My other issue is that I currently do not have a gasket. The dome doesn’t fit tightly all the way around. There’s a bit of a gap at the back so I’m not sure how successful I can be at keeping the temp steady. AND if I don’t cook at all before I get the replacement gasket I figure the edges will remain clean/grease-free.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    This isn't going to be a popular answer here, but I would throw into the slow cooker.  It's pork butt, not like you'll be sacrificing an expensive cut of meat, and it'll still taste good. Inferior yes, but still good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you can make a loose tinfoil gasket that will seal well enough if you cant hold temps without one. i was using a twenty piece firebox and ring before getting a new one, thats not an issue
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    you can make a loose tinfoil gasket that will seal well enough if you cant hold temps without one. i was using a twenty piece firebox and ring before getting a new one, thats not an issue
    This is what I do if I want ultra low, i make a Reynolds Gasket 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian