Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need help with my spareribs ! I don’t want pulled pork!

Kmm
Kmm Posts: 54
I cook my ribs using the 321 method at 220F.

Flavour is great but the meat just comes away from the bone when I try to cut the rack into individual ribs.

Any ideas chaps ?

Shorter cooking times seems an obvious answer. 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Forget the wrap. Cook the ribs nekked at 250-275 till they pass the bend or toothpick test. Usually about 4 1/2 - 5hrs.  Same time you’re spending now but with a more firm tender texture. 

If I ever wrap it’s for 30-40 min max and that’s only if the cook is running behind schedule 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    3-2-1 ends up being about an hour too long.

I find something around 3 - 1.5 - .5 to be a little more accurate. 

I'd also bump up your temp. No reason why you couldn't settle in somewhere between 250-275 degrees.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kmm
    Forget the wrap. Cook the ribs nekked at 250-275 till they pass the bend or toothpick test. Usually about 4 1/2 - 5hrs.  Same time you’re spending now but with a more firm tender texture. 

If I ever wrap it’s for 30-40 min max and that’s only if the cook is running behind schedule 
    Could you elaborate on the bend and toothpick test 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    ToothpIck or probe poked into the meat. When it goes in with no resistance like warm butter the ribs are ready. 

Bend test is when you pick the rack up by one end with tongs and the rack bends to almost or a 90° bend 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    The toothpick test works with any pedigree or length of rack.  The bend test takes more effort and is designed for full pork rib racks.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I normally cook baby backs, but I tend to go 2.5 unwrapped, 1.5 wrapped and .5 unwrapped and sauced.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Kmm said:

Could you elaborate on the bend and toothpick test 
    Bend test
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Kmm
    Got it ! So if it bends it’s done. And the toothpick?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Bend or toothpick test.  Don’t need both.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Let them ride, dont overthink ribs, SPG , if you are going to wrap, wait till the bark is set wrap if you must...i like mine naked sauce on the side...i gently puck the racks up and give a bounce, you can tell

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    See @Mattman3969 's above post.  This is all analog.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yesterday, I took @RRP’s suggestion from a similar thread a while back and smoked at 300F for 3 hours.  No wrap, but I did spray once.  They were perfect.  This is my new method of choice.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Kmm
    lousubcap said:
    The toothpick test works with any pedigree or length of rack.  The bend test takes more effort and is designed for full pork rib racks.  FWIW-
    Thanks 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    foil turns ribs to mush. shorter cooking times, no foil, at 220 to 250 dome raised grid direct or indirect
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    325 to 350..90 minutes, perfect everytime. Look up turbo ribs for the win

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Kmm
    edited July 2021
    gamason said:
    325 to 350..90 minutes, perfect everytime. Look up turbo ribs for the win
    90 minutes ? Dome up ?
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Cook at 250F indirect. 2.5h unwrapped, 1.5 hour wrapped, 0.5 hours unwrap top of foil to braise ribs (do not take completely out of foil). Gently remove from BBQ by grabbing foil ... and let it sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes ... this tightens up the meat and prevents it from falling apart.

In the end, I found this method gives the best flavor, juiciness and tenderness without it falling apart.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Temp them. 203-206 is my sweet spot. Come off the bone clean but stay on the bone til you bite them.

The 3-2-1 method is a good one as a guide but you must modify to desired results and your cookers traits. The idea is to build and set the desired bark and color(3) then tenderize them to your desired doneness (2). Finally sauce and set sauce(1). The egg generally cooks things faster due to the moist environment. 2.5 + 1 + 1/2 is probably a better formula for the egg, but it requires some adjustments based upon the particular slab (spares vs Babybacks etc. ). Keep it up, the journey is part of the fun. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "321" method.  I'll bet someone just made that up for a laugh.  Also, @pgprescott seriously, you take the temp of pork ribs? 
    First pie crust I learned to make was 3lbs. flour, 2lbs. rendered lard and 1lb. water.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    They run at 225°F for about 5 hours or so spicy rub, uncovered. Peach glaze the last hour our so.

Perfect every time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    "321" method.  I'll bet someone just made that up for a laugh.  Also, @pgprescott seriously, you take the temp of pork ribs? 
    Yep. Use the thermapen to probe but also temp them, just like all the competition teams do on the circuit. Never used to do it (toothpick test guy) but saw guys doing it and thought I’d give it a try. Temperature is like math. It doesn’t lie.