Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot - No Membership Needed

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
I read over on the Brethren that you don't need a membership to go to Restaurant Depot right now. I'd imagine Restaurant Depot will take anyone at this point willing to buy. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I need to make the hour plus drive to mine and check it out. I'm a member, but haven't been in a minute 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    ColtsFan said:
    I need to make the hour plus drive to mine and check it out. I'm a member, but haven't been in a minute 
    I've been lucky with one of the Restaurant Depots here in MN that has a city ordinance of no private memberships for any businesses. So no membership is needed. 

I'd probably keep waiting at this point and with them now opening to the public. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    WeberWho said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I've been lucky with one of the Restaurant Depots here in MN that has a city ordinance of no private memberships for any businesses. So no membership is needed. 

I'd probably keep waiting at this point and with them now opening to the public. 
    I haven't been to the one in St. Paul, but I've heard it's much nicer than the other one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    ColtsFan said:

I haven't been to the one in St. Paul, but I've heard it's much nicer than the other one.
    I've only been to the St. Paul Restaurant Depot once and it was much nicer. 

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Today at RD in the produce section
    Today at RD in the produce section
    Wow, wiped out!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think they just stopped stocking so much produce because most restaurants closed more than anything.  There were about 20 shoppers in the whole store.  Dry goods were fully stocked.
    I think they just stopped stocking so much produce because most restaurants closed more than anything.  There were about 20 shoppers in the whole store.  Dry goods were fully stocked.
    I would agree they aren’t stocking.  Saw a news article a couple days ago that several produce farms in Florida were tilling under crops because they had no market for them.  They were still harvesting some that they could move but weren’t wasting the money on labor intensive harvest for most of it since they couldn’t move it before it spoils. 
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2020
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    ColtsFan said:

@StillH2OEgger

I retract my statement about the St. Paul location. I stopped in there this afternoon and what a trainwreck. You almost feel like a nuisance with their employees. 

I was overcharged $58. The manager was less than thrilled to help me out. She was annoyed that I used a day pass and she was now having problems getting my money back. After five or six different attempts she realizes she is using her personal scanner and not the registers scanner. Somehow that was still my fault. 

Brooklyn Center location is a mess but not nearly as bad as St. Paul. 

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the heads up. It may have saved me a trip since I still haven't been there. Not sure if you Costco, but the Business Center off of I-35 in Minneapolis is good for some bulk buying. No where near the selection as Restaurant Depot, but a good option for loading up the freezer as long as you don't require prime grade.
    Stillwater, MN
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    ColtsFan said:

@StillH2OEgger

I retract my statement about the St. Paul location. I stopped in there this afternoon and what a trainwreck. You almost feel like a nuisance with their employees. 

I was overcharged $58. The manager was less than thrilled to help me out. She was annoyed that I used a day pass and she was now having problems getting my money back. After five or six different attempts she realizes she is using her personal scanner and not the registers scanner. Somehow that was still my fault. 

That's not great. BC is closer to me on the West Side, and I've been planning to find a way to get in once the health situation seems to have died down a bit. I guess I'll stick with that one... 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • WeberWho
    That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the heads up. It may have saved me a trip since I still haven't been there. Not sure if you Costco, but the Business Center off of I-35 in Minneapolis is good for some bulk buying. No where near the selection as Restaurant Depot, but a good option for loading up the freezer as long as you don't require prime grade.
    That very thought crossed my mind about the Costco Business Center when inside Restaurant Depot. I've only been to the Costco Business Center once but the experience was much more pleasant. 

It's still worth checking out but the employees don't give you the time of day. Which is too bad. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    carrda04 said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    ColtsFan said:

@StillH2OEgger

That's not great. BC is closer to me on the West Side, and I've been planning to find a way to get in once the health situation seems to have died down a bit. I guess I'll stick with that one... 
    It's probably been 7-8 years since I last was in the St. Paul location. I had no issue the first go around. 

The isles are tight. Especially when you have to manoeuvre around moving forklifts and random pallets scattered everywhere throughout isles. It gets a little tough when moving around your big heavy flat steel carts. You'll find this at every Restaurant Depot though. It gets a little crazy. So it gets a little tough to focus with everything going on around you. Especially your first time going. Just a little heads up.  

Minnesota
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Haven't been to either lately.  What is up at Brooklyn Center that makes it a mess?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    We have a RD in Birmingham AL. It has the free memberships, it's always been free here. It's a real dump of a place. I go there occasionally as a last resort, when every other place is sold out of what I need. It's not clean and really junky. The employees are several cuts below average as well, not friendly and go out of their way to avoid being helpful.
  • WeberWho
    Haven't been to either lately.  What is up at Brooklyn Center that makes it a mess?
    The experience as a whole. I realize it's not fine dinning but the organization of the place and lack of interest in helping or even acknowledging you as a customer is almost nonexistent. The attitudes of not caring is apparent. I don't complain about much in general but attitude starts up on top with management. The manager getting annoyed at me about their mistake by over charging me by $58 says something. The trickle down effect shows. 

Minnesota
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    As a KCBS member I have a pass for RD and I stop in once or twice a year just to see what's available. I usually pick something up if I see a nice bargain, but certainly not my favorite place to shop.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I did not want to start a new one for the same topic.

I recently tried shopping at a RD near me in Georgia and they (RD management) told me that the KCBS arrangement is no longer valid. After multiple conversations with KCBS (I called their offices while I was at the RD Customer Service desk) and RD's management, they granted me a One Day pass. When I asked if I will be able to shop there next month, they did not give me a straight answer.

I thought that with my current KCBS membership, I would be able to shop at RD whenever I wanted to, without frequency limitations. Am I misunderstanding something?

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The one in Louisville looks like a Depot, and comparing these places to other private membership retail outlets is a losing proposition, at best. If you expect service go someplace else.

I have purchased a lot from RD, but if they were gone, no biggie, I can get this stuff on line, occasionally less expensive.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky