Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited June 2021 in EggHead Forum
Trying something different today.
Tri Tip pot roast slow cooked on stove top in Dutch Oven. Just winging it. Not something I’m familiar with cooking.
Prime Tri Tip was priced almost as cheap as decent roast. But really hurt me cutting it up for a pot roast. Ha Ha
Added some potatoes towards the end. No plated photos tonight. Just chopped up the potatoes, added some butter and sliced beef topped with juice and mushrooms. 
It was absolutely fantastic.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks great, and something I had never considered doing with tri-tip. How was the texture? did it cook to fall apart tenderness?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GregW said:
    Looks great, and something I had never considered doing with tri-tip. How was the texture? did it cook to fall apart tenderness?
    Thanks.
    It was simmering about six hours. 4 would have been plenty. Maybe even a little less. It was easily pull apart tender but I was able to carefully pull the pieces out with tongs and slice with sharp knife. Was not intension sacrifice this tri tip but it was poring down rain and I just didn't feel like grilling it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice cook Darian! 
    I like the mushroom add . . . good call
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I hope there are some leftovers. 

What time should I swing by tomorrow? =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    That last pic of everything in the pot… drool!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    looks great, love a good pot roast.  was yelled at by a woman in the supermarket once for asking how long to boil it. apparently its called pot roast because you roast it just partially in water with the top not submerged. it developed a crust like a brisket. i still have a vision of that woman yelling at me every time i roast one, strange people
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This is on my list to try.  Looks awesome.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    edited July 2021
    Options
    This was my second pot roast style cook.
    My first was done on the Egg using standard blade roast type cut. Slow cooked it for about and hour to give it a little smoke followed by a sear, then into the Dutch oven with veggies similar to this cook. Cooked first hour with lid on DO the render the onions and mushrooms then took off the lid and continued cooking indirect for about 6-7 hours adding a little stock when needed. But the onions and mushrooms do add a fair amount of liquid on their own. I’m sure a little added liquid smoke would have made my stove top cook similar to my Egg cook but much less work.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This was my second pot roast style cook.
    My first was done on the Egg using standard blade roast type cut. Slow cooked it for about and hour to give it a little smoke followed by a sear, then into the Dutch oven with veggies similar to this cook. Cooked first hour with lid on DO the render the onions and mushrooms then took off the lid and continued cooking indirect for about 6-7 hours adding a little stock when needed. But the onions and mushrooms do add a fair amount of liquid on their own. I’m sure a little added liquid smoke would have made my stove top cook similar to my Egg cook but much less work.lol
    Thanks for that. Pot roast is in our future, we haven’t done one in a really long time.