Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Conveggtor broke, new one or Woo?

Options
My Conveggtor finally had its last cook.  A leg broke off it after I did a burn off.

Contemplating getting a Woo this time around.  I like the fact that you can use a larger diameter stone to deflect the heat and that it raises the grid.

I’m looking for advice from anyone who has one.  Will the Woo replace the Conveggtor totally or will I end using both for different applications?

Comments

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Steve0 said:
    My Conveggtor finally had its last cook.  A leg broke off it after I did a burn off.

Contemplating getting a Woo this time around.  I like the fact that you can use a larger diameter stone to deflect the heat and that it raises the grid.

I’m looking for advice from anyone who has one.  Will the Woo replace the Conveggtor totally or will I end using both for different applications?
    I’ve got the PSWOO2 and that uses the conveggtor but you can use ceramic grill stores stones in it which seems like a good idea. Woo will definitely replace the conveggtor when equipped with a stone plus it will allow you to cook direct at the felt which is a big upgrade. 
  • Steve0
    Steve0 Posts: 73
    Options
    Looking at the pswoo, I may be able to use my broken stone since it’s the leg that broke off.  I’ll take a better look when I go home.

can you also use a stone as a deflector with the pswoo?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Buy the combo, woo and spider. Don’t look back 
  • Steve0
    Options
    Didn’t know they sold a combo, is it on their site or do you just order both separate?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Steve0 said:
    Looking at the pswoo, I may be able to use my broken stone since it’s the leg that broke off.  I’ll take a better look when I go home.

can you also use a stone as a deflector with the pswoo?
    I cut the legs off mine and use it with my Woo. Any quality pizza stone will work with the Woo as well. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited June 2021
    Options
     You should definitely be able to use your existing conveggtor.  I’d get the standard PSWoo, which will allow you to still load charcoal easily with it in place (minus the conveggtor).  Once you start grilling direct at the felt line you’ll end up keeping the Woo in all the time.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Steve0
    Options
    Think this will still work with the pswoo?

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    If you trim the other two legs it will 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited June 2021
    Options
    This is what I did with mine.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1203755/i-salvaged-a-large-and-xl-plate-setter-to-make-stones

Id personally cut it down and buy a spider and drip pan. The woo would also be nice. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    That is an unfortunate break.   The PSWoo has triangular supports under each leg of the Conveggtor. Where you break occurred would leave the Conveggtor quite unstable if not unusable.  

Here is a shot of mine:

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Options
    For a large egg, a PS woo is for the Plate Setter, a regular woo is for a stone. If you break the other two legs off, you will now have a stone. The stone can also be used with a spider. When my plate setter broke a leg, I cut the other two legs off, and trimmed it round with an angle grinder.

For an XL egg, the regular woo will fit a stone or a plate setter.

I would recommend an adjustable rig. I really like mine. My regret there is not buying one sooner.

call or email Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store and he can figure out what will suit your needs the best.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Wait.   Get a grinder and grind off the other two legs.  Pizza stone or heat deflector.  But very usable. I find i use mine often as an indirect cooking surface on my upper rack.   
    Columbus, Ohio
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Steve0 said:

I glued mine with JB weld several years ago. It's still holding. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Steve0 said:

I glued mine with JB weld several years ago. It's still holding. 
    This. I kicked a leg off ones years ago and used it JB welded for years. Just keep temps like 400 or below and it will work fine.
  • Steve0
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the help!  Placed an order for the Woo and I’m going to run it with the modified broken stone.
  • Steve0
    Options
    Did my first cook with the Woo yesterday.  Great product!
  • Steve0
    Options
    Thanks for the help