Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Salvaged a Large and XL Plate Setter to Make Stones

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
Let me start out by saying running over your egg isn't the best idea. Five years later it still stings a little. So why not turn lemons into lemonade.

I've had a two legged plate setter sitting on a shelf in the garage collecting dust ever since I went Grave Digger on my egg. One of the few things to somewhat survive the fall. After years of sitting I finally found a use for it.

I ordered a Woo from Ceramic Grill Store last weekend since my small plate setter went missing. When looking at different options for the Woo, it dawned on me that I still had the old plate setter laying around. So I skipped on the stone to save a little money. With the Woo in hand, I needed to get this whole plate setter stone figured out. So I stopped up at my parents place to borrow my Dad's angle grinder and diamond blade. I took a few pics along the way:

Large plate setter all clamped up and ready for action

I brought my XL plate setter with. I had it replaced under warranty as it started to chip. I figured why not do something with the XL plate setter if I'm going to be making a bunch of dust with the other plate setter.

All finished up. They came out pretty good. I ended up saving about $70+ worth of stones. With the extra savings I ordered a couple drip pans when ordering the Woo.

The small should be good to go now!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice work man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice repurpose brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Great salvage!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    awesome work! Sorry you ran over your egg?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Awesome!  I've used masonry disc on small 4 1/2" angle grinder to score and chisel-break a firebrick cleanly, is a diamond disc much more efficient?
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great recycling effort right there.  You are right about being able to really take advantage of the SBGE now.  Have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @WeberWho how did you get such a clean edge on the stone?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Great job!
    I am not sure if what I am about to describe is going to make sense, but I will try.  If you have the part where the leg of the platesetter broke off right by the 90 degree bend, with the angle grinder you can cut off and smooth the rough edges down and make your self drip pan spacers as well.  I am talking about the parts that it looks like you cut off in picture 2.  Heck, you can even make mini ones from the scrap pieces cut from the difference between pics 2&3 as well!  

Regardless, great job!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Very nice job they look perfect.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I had a chuckle at "went Grave Digger on my egg."  Nice work on the stones.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Although you show your reclaimed plate setter as an indirect stone, they also make good pizza stones.  No worries about high heat cracking them!

Running over your egg is probably a drastic approach to getting a plate setter to re-purpose.  If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you might ask for a lead to someone who bought a new one 'cuz they broke one.  Or, if they could spare a broken one turned in for warranty.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Nice.  Broke leg my small plate setter at Texas eggiest last year.  Making it into stone is on the bucket list.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Way to be resourceful, it turned out perfect 
  • WeberWho
    Hans61 said:
    Nice work man!
    Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    bgebrent said:
    Nice repurpose brother!
    Thanks Brent

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Great salvage!!
    Thank you Johnny 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Miked125 said:
    awesome work! Sorry you ran over your egg?
    Thanks Miked. Long story but I left the egg behind my truck in the garage. I didn't see it as I walked to the front of the garage to grab a Coke from the fridge than to my truck. My truck won when backing up. Fortunately it was my spare large I picked up for $200 used. Unfortunately I'm out $200

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Awesome!  I've used masonry disc on small 4 1/2" angle grinder to score and chisel-break a firebrick cleanly, is a diamond disc much more efficient?
    @Canugghead It's one tool I don't use very often. The reason why I had to borrow my Dad's since I don't own one myself. I would say it is. My Dad told me a story about how he borrowed his angle grinder with blade to the masonry guy he had hired to do their fireplace. He saw him struggle with his angle grinder and blade. My Dad had 4 different types of diamond blades for it. So it was his go to blade with 15 other or so blades he had in the toolbox. It was painless cutting it down. Easier than I was expecting 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    Great recycling effort right there.  You are right about being able to really take advantage of the SBGE now.  Have fun.
    Thanks much lousubcap 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    RedSkip said:
    @WeberWho how did you get such a clean edge on the stone?  
    @RedSkip I used a diamond blade for the initial cut. I cleaned it up using sanding discs for smoothing the edges.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Sea2Ski said:
    Great job!
    I am not sure if what I am about to describe is going to make sense, but I will try.  If you have the part where the leg of the platesetter broke off right by the 90 degree bend, with the angle grinder you can cut off and smooth the rough edges down and make your self drip pan spacers as well.  I am talking about the parts that it looks like you cut off in picture 2.  Heck, you can even make mini ones from the scrap pieces cut from the difference between pics 2&3 as well!  

Regardless, great job!  
    @Sea2Ski Thanks! You make a great point with making spacers. I wish I would have thought about that before tossing them. They would have come in handy down the road

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Very nice job they look perfect.
    Thanks much justacookin

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    YEMTrey said:
    I had a chuckle at "went Grave Digger on my egg."  Nice work on the stones.
    Haha thanks YEMTrey

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir!!
    Thank you Hotch

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Although you show your reclaimed plate setter as an indirect stone, they also make good pizza stones.  No worries about high heat cracking them!

Running over your egg is probably a drastic approach to getting a plate setter to re-purpose.  If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you might ask for a lead to someone who bought a new one 'cuz they broke one.  Or, if they could spare a broken one turned in for warranty.
    Yeah they weren't doing too much sitting on the shelf but figured they'd come in handy at some point

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Nice.  Broke leg my small plate setter at Texas eggiest last year.  Making it into stone is on the bucket list.
    I hear you Austin Egghead. It only took me 5 years! =)

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Way to be resourceful, it turned out perfect 
    Hey thanks chuckytheegghead 

Minnesota