Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook of retirement

Greetings - So, after 31 years I hung up my protractor and retired from teaching high school math. Which means I should have a little more time to Egg some fun meals… we shall see.

Though simple, this was a great meal - salmon in a honey garlic glaze (skin on), raised direct at 475°. Plated with caprese using our basil and the yet to be added dill sauce using our dill. Can’t beat fresh ingredients! Wine was a CA. Chardonnay. 

Recipe for glaze: 1 tablespoon each of packed brown sugar, melted butter, olive oil, honey, soy sauce + 1 or 2 garlic cloves finely chopped. Mix everything together and marinate salmon for 30-60 min and then cook.

Not sure why they pictures are sideways, hopefully you get the idea. Stay safe and enjoy the summer!

Cheers!
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Congrats on the retirement!  Beautiful meal there.  Salmon on the BGE is always a winner. Yours looks perfect.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Congrats and welcome to the "Every day is Saturday" lifestyle.  If you don't own a watch that gives you both day and date it may become a necessity soon.  B)
    Great meal right there.  That sounds like a great glaze recipe.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Congrats! Been in the retirement pool myself now for 16 years and I LOVE IT!!! Hope you do as well!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Beautiful cook and congrats on hanging up the tools of the trade.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Congratulations, thank you for all that you have done.  Teachers are under valued.  Thank you for the recipe.  I love when folks share.  Awesome cook.  Enjoy it.  You earned it
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Congrats, and like jd said, thank you!  
    I got much better acquainted with my Eggs in retirement; enjoy!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Congratulations!  Nice looking meal.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Congrats and great looking meal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    1) Great cook and post.

2) Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your commitment to our youth.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Food looks delicious. Congrats on the retirement -- and what a crazy year to go out on.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Great cook happy retirement, thanks for all the teaching you have done.
    codfish.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Congratulations you made it!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    WooHoo you made it… enjoy and grill on my friend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Congratulations 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Bit the bullet and retired 8 years ago from teaching. Probably take a while to get back to the person you were. The class changing bells rings a regular intervals. Get rid of the watch. Keep cooking…Retirement cook looks great! Congrats!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Congrats and beautiful meal. Enjoy your extra time. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice cook and enjoy some slow time. Hardest thing for me when I left the work world was realizing that I didn’t have to go 100mph to get things done around the house.  The honey do list won’t take as long as you originally guessed.  Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    At the end of the month I will be retired from my state government job for 5 years. Don’t miss it much, a few of the coworkers, the actual work some. Dealing with the general public and federal agencies, not at all.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Congratulations…Love me some Egged Salmon.
    ‘Do kids nowadays even know what a protractor is?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Congratulations and thanks for teaching the future generations from one former math teacher (college TA) to another!
    Mountain View, CA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Congratulations.  A man after my own heart when it comes to egging salmon.  Direct at 375 - 400.  And don't forget to eat the skin.  Crispy delight!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Congratulations on the retirement.   It’s still several years out for me, but close enough to dream about it. I hope you enjoy every day.  

Cook on young man!   
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2021
    Not that you asked for any advice, but permit me to offer some anyway IF you even want it! =)

My wife taught English for 37 years in a high school with a student body of 5K. She retired in 2003. I retired in 2005 from business. She took little time to see just how great retirement was and I think I even took less time! She was 58 and I baled at 60. 

We have good friends who also live in St Louis and he was self-employed and waited until age 76 to retire and his wife worked as a business manager elsewhere and she baled at 74. They are now 82 and 80 and are MISERABLE!!! Why? They have never accepted the "slowing down" phase! It is truly a shame as financially they are very well off...but will probably die frustrated since they never learned to do anything, but work to become so rich!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I was on my third bourbon slushie last night when I found myself contemplating what my first "cook" of retirement will be.

I want to say I will grill a big-ole-steak!  But, I could see it being something a little less predictable. 

What about you others?  What would it be if you could retire soon?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Langner91 said:
    I was on my third bourbon slushie last night when I found myself contemplating what my first "cook" of retirement will be.

I want to say I will grill a big-ole-steak!  But, I could see it being something a little less predictable. 

What about you others?  What would it be if you could retire soon?
    A 25+ (ideally 30+) pound beef shoulder clod.  Just because of the issue @RRP raised.  If I'm retired I have time for anything.  Why not start with the biggest hunk of meat that will take the longest cook - just to drive home the point (to myself)?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Congratulations on retiring. Good looking cook as well. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    @CTMike -Bubbleheads never recover and never give it any thought...
    Submarines once- B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited June 2021
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike -Bubbleheads never recover and never give it any thought...
    Submarines once- B)
    I’ll always be a recovering bubblehead because it’s something you never get over.  
    Where else can you shoot a 2’ long baloney log out of the aft signal ejector and hit the side of the tender in Scotland at 3 in the morning, and get all the Marines up and donning combat gear because they think they are under attack?

Submarines twice - 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    @CTMike - that is priceless right there.  Frozen for effect I would guess.
    Great move.  Plausible deniability in play for sure!