Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brussel sprout recipe

Options
Can anyone please share their favorite go to brussel sprout recipe?  I love brussel sprouts but have yet to try making them on my BGE.  I would love to get some recommendations/advice.  Thanks.  

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I usually just roast them over high heat with EVOO, salt and pepper. I'll finish with hot honey sometimes for the last few minutes
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I usually just roast them over high heat with EVOO, salt and pepper. I'll finish with hot honey sometimes for the last few minutes
    This.  I chop in half. Don't be afraid to get a good char on outer leaves.  Sometimes I'll put some cayanne or paprika on.  Can also hit with grated parmesan.  My family loves them grilled.
  • Iamsan
    Iamsan Posts: 12
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Do you roast them in a cast iron skillet?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Iamsan I mostly use a rotisserie basket now, but I have used CI or just one of those finer mesh grill mats so I don't lose them.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    Iamsan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    No I use a basket
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Iamsan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    No I use a basket
    You dont find the leaves fall off?  Do you roast whole or in halfs?

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    This.  I chop in half. Don't be afraid to get a good char on outer leaves.  Sometimes I'll put some cayanne or paprika on.  Can also hit with grated parmesan.  My family loves them grilled.

I also chop in half and I like to get a good sear on the cut side.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Martian heads for the win-Here's a ball-park recipe I use:
    CI- raised direct around 350-375*F til they pass the toothpick test. 
    Cut 'em in half, chop up some yellow onion, toss in some minced garlic, S&P to taste, coat in EVOO.  Enjoy. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Replace the salt with bacon 🤣😂

Options
    The advice and feedback is very much appreciated.  Thank you
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    However you do them, a little balsamic added near the end of the cook (possibly with some water if they're dryish) really elevates them.
    Options
    I will usually either shred them or peel the leaves. I then saute them in a hot pan with butter S&P and nutmeg.  When they are almost done, I add a few drops of lemon juice.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    roast over high heat with EVOO and salt and pepper.  Sometimes add some feta cheese at serving time as well.  also have had them with a side of bang bang sauce.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    However you cook them, tossing a few thinly sliced peppers (pick your heat) in at the end and finishing with Thai chili sauce is a good direction.  You can decorate with whatever - chopped peanuts, cilantro or mint, splash of rice vinegar or vinegar white balsamic.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Slice then Parboil till bright green. This removes a bunch of bitterness. In a CI pan cook a few slices of bacon to be diced. Throw brussels in the bacon grease to crisp up, throw bacon bits in then a little bit of Thai Sweet Chili sauce.  Good stuff 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.