Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends - COVID Cure

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
I think once I get the hang of making pork belly burnt ends, digesting copious amounts of it will be my death, long before COVID will kill me, haha!

Gonna try this recipe ... 

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Thanks to @lousubcap for posting this.

Don't mean to plagiarize, but this is the easiest way to find the recipes when I do these cooks in the future, by locating them in "My Posts"

In summary, dice about 1.5" cubes, apply dry rub, and smoke indirect at 250F for around 2h.
Then in pan with brown sugar, honey and butter, foil over the top, and back in grill at 250F for about another 2h.
Remove pan, drain fat, apply bbq sauce based glazing (apple jelly good to use) and back in grill open topped for 10 min.

Can't wait.

Looks like I'll need a cooking rack with 0.5" apertures though, to get through the first step. Is that right?

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• I’ve done this cook recently, and I used a quarter sheet pan cooling rack.  I also use them for things like moink balls and other small items—makes transfer to and from grill a lot easier. 

Here’s the result:

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Once  you nail this, move on to Bacon Burnt Ends......Next level from this ,, and a reason to make your own bacon 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120

Looks like I'll need a cooking rack with 0.5" apertures though, to get through the first step. Is that right?

Yes.  They shrink a lot and are a little gooey.

I used a "pizza screen" for mine. I sprayed it down with cooking spray to make clean-up easier.  

If you have two grids, you can put one on top of the other at 90° from each other.   I have two half grids and the original grid, so that works.

You can use an aluminum pan and poke several holes in the bottom. to let the grease drain away and the smoke to circulate.  You just don't want them swimming in their own juices while smoking them.

My quarter sheet pan rack is a little too long (or wide) and it won't let the dome seal.  It could be fixed with a wire cutter.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    These are pretty incredible when done well, and Malcom's recipe is a great place to start.  Enjoy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I’ve done this cook recently, and I used a quarter sheet pan cooling rack.  I also use them for things like moink balls and other small items—makes transfer to and from grill a lot easier. 

I use cooling racks for all sorts of things - salting/resting meat, baking bacon, etc, etc.  They are well worth the little bit of cash if you don't have any.  Get multiple sizes.
    NOLA
  • Mark_B_Good
    I think I might have a cooling rack ... or let me correct, my wife might have one. It may go missing this weekend ... I might be in trouble ... won't matter when I'm eating these babies and downing them with a cold beer. Nothing else will matter at that point ...
  • buzd504 said:
    I’ve done this cook recently, and I used a quarter sheet pan cooling rack.  I also use them for things like moink balls and other small items—makes transfer to and from grill a lot easier. 

I use cooling racks for all sorts of things - salting/resting meat, baking bacon, etc, etc.  They are well worth the little bit of cash if you don't have any.  Get multiple sizes.
    Me too.  I use the racks when dry brining all the time.  In fact, quarter and half sheet pans and racks get a lot of use around our house.  I am constantly roasting vegetables or baking with them.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    I think I might have a cooling rack ... or let me correct, my wife might have one. It may go missing this weekend ... I might be in trouble ... won't matter when I'm eating these babies and downing them with a cold beer. Nothing else will matter at that point ...
    We will remind you of this post when she has a mouthful of your a$$ because her favorite cooling rack is now forever covered in pork fat.  I hope the beer is realllllly cold!

Egg on!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    This weekend, I cooked fish ... I was like, don't I have like a vegetable grate or something I can use to put the fish in, so I don't make a mess of my grill. Well, after digging in my bbq cabinet ... I found a 1/4" wire basket!!! 

I'm good to go, to make these burnt ends this weekend, without compromising my marriage. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Malcolm's recipe is the standard, but there have been quite a few enhancements posted here. No matter what you do, this is always a crowd pleaser!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Langner91
    Nice! You nailed it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    What ^^^ said!!  Nice job.  Now I’m hungry 🤤 
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    I really want to try this but also fear that this will be the end of me. 
  • Langner91
    TheToast said:
    I always said, I don't want to die of old age.  

Do it!  All the cool kids are!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    TheToast said:
    Haha, well ... two things. (1) most of the fat melts off during the 4h cook.
    (2) I think it's okay, unless you're eating this stuff every weekend. I'll do this maybe one to two times a year at most. I mean, I can't see eating a bag of Doritos being any worse to be honest.

All I can say is, it was REALLY good. Even my dad, who doesn't really like things sauced up (he's old school), without being prompted, said they were really good. I was surprised ... I thought he'd complain about the remaining fat and glazing.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    I've made this recipe 3 or 4 times. They were very good, but eat sparingly. You can hurt yourself with these things.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good!  Question:  will it help if I add bleach or maybe some light, inside?