Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT... Thank you, Teachers.

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
As the school year winds down, and we get ready for the summer, I wanted to send a big shout-out out to all the teachers out there. 

This past year posed immense challenges for education leaders, teachers, and school staff. I know that caliprince's school rose to meet these challenges, navigating the BS politics and whatnot, to keep kids safe, engaged, and edumacated. 

As a token of our gratitude, we gave everyone in his school a small gift.

If you are a K-12 teacher, please send me your email, and I'd be happy to send you one. Just a small way to say thanks, for doing so much. (JIC - I'll buy you a beer or something the next time I see you).

And, apologies for singling you out @SciAggie, but since you are one of these fine folks, please take a bow.

Much respect.

Have a great summer, everyone. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @caliking
    That is a very good gesture on your part my friend. A little kindness goes a long way sometimes. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Very well said, @caliking.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking Thanks my friend. This has been a challenging year for so many folks. I know we are all looking forward to better days. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My beloved taught high school English for 37:years. Her school had 5K students which always amazed her as we grew up in a small town with JUST 2.2;K population! 

She became the Language Dept Chairperson 15 years before she retired way back in 2003. And yes, she had earned her Masters plus 80 hours beyond.

BUT to this very day she and I are SO HAPPY she is out of THAT occupation. She dearly loved it, but NOT what it has become with the union influence/control!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2021
    RRP said:
    My beloved taught high school English for 37:years. Her school had 5K students which always amazed her as we grew up in a small town with JUST 2.2;K population! 

She became the Language Dept Chairperson 15 years before she retired way back in 2003. And yes, she had earned her Masters plus 80 hours beyond.

BUT to this very day she and I are SO HAPPY she is out of THAT occupation. She dearly loved it, but NOT what it has become with the union influence/control!
    Ha! I see some clown has slammed me! Guess you can't understand an opinion different than yours? Guess you call THAT education? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @RRP do you mean someone just hit the disagree button?

Take a look in the mirror buddy.
  • caliking
    RRP said:

I dunno much about the teachers' unions in these parts. Either they're not so active/influential, or they made some strong decisions with/for their membership. 

Our school district and school made some very evidence-based policies, despite dealing with the spirochetes that we call Governor, Lt. Governor, and Trump. 

And yes, I am mindful of the risks that many (most?) teachers took, by going to work everyday, whether it be to teach online or in-person. So many folks showed their true mettle, for which I am very much in awe, and grateful.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2021
    caliking said:
    RRP said:

I dunno much about the teachers' unions in these parts. Either they're not so active/influential, or they made some strong decisions with/for their membership. 

Our school district and school made some very evidence-based policies, despite dealing with the spirochetes that we call Governor, Lt. Governor, and Trump. 

And yes, I am mindful of the risks that many (most?) teachers took, by going to work everyday, whether it be to teach online or in-person. So many folks showed their true mettle, for which I am very much in awe, and grateful.
    Edit: I don't have MANY problems with Governor Abbott but our LT. Governor and attorney general are friggin morons.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Great gesture @caliking

Lots of teachers in my family including my daughter and it’s been a very hard year on them no matter how you slice it.  No politics, they’ve been heroes.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Impressive gesture and one I am sure is much appreciated.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    Legume said:
    Great gesture @caliking

Lots of teachers in my family including my daughter and it’s been a very hard year on them no matter how you slice it.  No politics, they’ve been heroes.
    I absolutely agree that they are heroes.

And, I meant what I said about sending them a small token of appreciation. If you could send me their email address(es), I'll make sure it happens. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    That is pretty awesome of you and your better half, @caliking.  Bravo.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    For anyone not familiar with the quote I mentioned. 
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

This certainly applies to those in health care and anyone else that was on the front lines through this pandemic. 
    I was not familiar with that quote. Thank you for the elucidation. I've choked up a bit, each of the three times I've read it since. It very much exemplifies what people have had to face, in many different walks of life.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited June 2021
    Thank you!  Teaching 3rd grade math and science both virtually and in person over the past 15 months has been challenging to say the least.  The students  adapted and were amazing.  The parents were incredibly supportive.  Our district did an amazing job navigating through an incredibly divisive year, supporting the students, teachers and administrators.   I am looking forward to a normal start in mid August!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Nice work Cali!
    likewise, our teachers were amazing. I think they put in 150% of the usual effort, maybe more, in order to make things work with our mix of remote and in person. They had to adapt lessons multiple times as the plans changed. AND they had to take care of their own families. 

My middle child said this was the best year ever. He loved learning on his own, with his cat by his side. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle