Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To mustard, or not to mustard?

Guys, lately I've been using mustard as a binder for my seasoning on a lot of different meats (pork, beef).
Some/most of the cooks have come out a tad too salty. I've always blamed it on the seasoning (overseasoned? KEG seasoning??).  

Now I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the mustard ... either compounding the salt flavor, or allowing the salt to penentrate the meat more.

What the heck is GOING ON?!?!
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’d guess probably the mustard, I know when we do tuna/chicken salad or a homemade salad dressing we don’t need much extra salt because of the salt in Dijon.

Also, seasoning sticks to raw meat just fine on its own, I’d ditch the mustard altogether.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I would say it's the mustard. I would say it's more to do with as it dries out any liquid is evaporated and you are left with concentrations of salt.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I've used regular ol' yellow mustard for years.  I've always been of the opinion the mustard completely cooks off and has no bearing on final taste.  Of course, the mustard will help bind the seasonings to the meat as opposed to them falling into your fire.  That's just the mustard doing its job.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hub said:
    I've used regular ol' yellow mustard for years.  I've always been of the opinion the mustard completely cooks off and has no bearing on final taste.  Of course, the mustard will help bind the seasonings to the meat as opposed to them falling into your fire.  That's just the mustard doing its job.
    I agree 99%. The only time I notice mustard adding any flavor is on deep fried soft shell crabs. And ironically enough it’s not a “mustard taste”.  It’s a great taste. Just doesn’t taste like mustard though. Maybe is because crabs are very light meat and the cooking is extremely fast. But it definitely imparts a taste. Again, in no way do you get any hint of mustard. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited May 2021
    I imagine it depends on what type of mustard you are using and even right on down to the brand besides. Personally I normally use plain ol' cheap French's yellow mustard as a binder and I've never noticed a salty taste difference when I do use it or skip it. Also when you use the word "tad" that means not much. Furthermore if you are using any pork which is injected then that to me is where excessive salt taste comes into play and again different producers seem to use varying levels of salt in their injection solution!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Using mustard as a binder is a waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2021
    I seriously doubt the mustard is responsible for the over seasoning you're experiencing. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    You are probably over-seasoning because your are using a binder.  Sans binder the excess seasoning falls harmlessly onto the cutting board.   You don’t have to use a binder on anything.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I agree with Acn and others. There's no need to use mustard.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    more rub sticks to mustard, if its a salty rub you get twice the salt to stick. i only use mustard on butts and pork ribs and cut the rub with brown sugar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2021
    So I'm posting as I have wondered similar thoughts on taste.   So I went as far as measuring everything so I knew the consistency was the same each time.  Different mustards  have some small differences in flavor.  I tried different binders including mayonnaise.  Try mayonnaise as a binder.  It's awesome.  Steak sauce and applesauce work well too.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    I use mustard on pork items.   Just put a 7# butt on a bit ago 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    jdMyers said:
    So I'm posting as I have wondered similar thoughts on taste.   So I went as far as measuring everything so I knew the consistency was the same each time.  Different mustards  have some small differences in flavor.  I tried different binders including mayonnaise.  Try mayonnaise as a binder.  It's awesome.  Steak sauce and applesauce work well too.
    I'm going to try mayonnaise this weekend, thanks for the tip.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Mustard is about 2% salt, not really enough to oversalt if using as a binder where as a commercial rub is 25-50 % salt 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I've also used mayo or worstershire sauce as binder;  I usually go light on salt/rub so it's hard to notice any significant difference.  

FWIW, visually mustard help to sprinkle rub/spices of contrasting colour more evenly.
    canuckland
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Personally I never use anything as a binder as I haven't had any issues with rubs not binding on their own. I suggest using something cheap and doing a comparison get some spare
    ribs or something and measure out the exact same amount of rub. Then put mustard and the rub on one and only the rub on the other. See if you notice a difference

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    End product.  Wrapped and set aside to be shredded and add the finishing components. 

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    My theory - using the mustard is allowing more of the very salty rub to adhere to the meat.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    My theory - using the mustard is allowing more of the very salty rub to adhere to the meat.
    That's what I think is the issue.