Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Brisket Day, Friday May 28th-time to give it a go!

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,163
Thought I would toss out an alertment so that everyone has time to find, thaw or give the cow a practice run.  Above all, have fun.  Always remember-the friggin cow drives the cook. Here's to finding the proverbial "feels like buttah" outcome. 
I will not be able to  fully participate/celebrate until Sunday the 30th but I will be engaged in spirit throughout the Memorial Weekend.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lousubcap
    Shameless bump for visibility-make it happen and enjoy the adventure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I'm doing one tomorrow!   We have a birthday party tomorrow evening.  Pepper stout beef is in the works now so the flavors can wrestle with each other in the fridge overnight. Brisket will go on early in the morning.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I bought one of these to try on Memorial Day weekend. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    My brisket game is struggling! I might have to hit you up for a tutorial soon and just start over from scratch with my method. But hey, I've got lots of chili meat in the freezer. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lousubcap
    @gonepostal- incoming PM sent.  Always glad to answer any questions you may have related to brisket.  But remember the source.   B)
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Have this one on deck:

@lousubcap can you PM your method?  Always looking for tips and tricks to up my game.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap
    Great starting point right there- @4TheGrillOfIt!  Gonna be a banquet.
    As requested, PM sent but you likely have this sorted out given you are going with SRF.  Hopefully something of value included.  
  • kl8ton
    edited May 2021

Hmmm back to sideways. 

First time wrapping.  Put on this 12lb (before trimming) prime packer from Costco about 6am.  6 hours later we're at 180 in the thickest part of the flat.  Grid running at 325.

This is working out perfectly.  I can FTC this and have enough time to get PSB back on the egg to reduce and heat up! 

The less effort I put in and the less I worry.  . . Seems to work out better much of the time. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    @kl8ton- sweet lookin brisket right there.  Great eats await!  
  • kl8ton
    Base cracked.  Grid temp shot up to 410 while I ran an errand.  Vent only open two credit card widths.  Brisket temp just over 200 everywhere. 

Haven't unwrapped.  Going to ftc after it sits a half hour.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    You may want to unwrap to help with the cool-down before the FTC but your call.  
    What a hose job with the base.  Warranty-a great deal, unfortunately needed with ceramic cookers.
    It sounds like you caught it-how did the brisket probe?
  • kl8ton

70 percent probes like butter. 

Good call on paper removal. 

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Seems fine.  oozing juice everywhere.  Done resting. Its in the cooler for about 3 hours till party time. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Inspired by the thread stopped off tonight and found this one, an SRF repackaged by HEB. Going to do it sometime this weekend. I just hope this friggin cow is a good driver😀
  • lousubcap
    @txhawkeye - Score one more for HEB.  I have only walked thru one (in Fredricksburg) and the wagyu briskets we definitely available.
    Better to be lucky than good.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  

• kl8ton
    Ok. Brisket was top 2 or 3 I've ever pulled off.  I've never had the tip of the flat be that moist!  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited May 2021
    Done it five days early, does it count  ;)
    And you're right, the cow drives the cook, I got real lucky this time  :)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Bump as this is closing in on the Day!
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Thanks for the reminder Cap.

Another overnighter about to go down.

Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    dmourati said:
    Good morning sunshine

There are not a lot of better things to see in the morning than that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265

Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    It is indeed National Brisket Day.  These were just delivered.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Buddy of mine I'm doing a crawfish boil for tomorrow just dropped off a brisket for me to cook tonight for tomorrow.  Providence.
    @Foghorn and @nolaegghead Better to be lucky than good is definitely at play.  @Foghorn - At least I have no expectations of ever getting a drop-off like that! Dang!
  • Foghorn
    Yeah @lousubcap, my meat donor gave me some briskets to cook for a gathering this weekend at my boss’s house to show appreciation for the hospital CEOs and other leaders that coordinated our regional pandemic response.  

50% Wagyu/50% angus herd.  Best beef I’ve ever tasted.  Errr, you know what I mean. 

San Antonio, TX

• EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    Just wrapped at 165. Can't get the photo to not be sideways.

• Foghorn

San Antonio, TX