Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Church Holy Voodoo for spare ribs

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Has anyone used this rub on spare ribs?

Is it too spicy or do you layer it with other rubs like Honey Hog? 

Comments

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    I've done straight voo doo on wings.   I've used a mix of voo doo and holy gospel on baby backs.   I didn't think it had much heat,  but then again,  I'm known for drinking hot sauce out of the bottle. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I think the "too spicy" is solely subjective to the person eating it.
    Do half a rack with Voodoo and half with a Voodoo mix. A longer cook, like ribs. will really mellow down the spices.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I've tried some fairly spicy rubs on ribs, and for whatever reason, never found the end result to be all that spicy.   That could be because I also tend to use a sauce that isn't terribly spicy, so maybe that helps offset things, I'm not sure.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • It’s got a kick but I would be more careful of the salt. I love Holy Voodoo but it is way saltier than most rib rubs. It has MSG in it which really amps up the saltiness. I would think if you put enough on ribs to really feel the heat, they are going to be really salty 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    The MSG is the reason that I put it back on the shelf. As far as I know it is the only Meatchurch rub that has MSG.
  • I love it but it is salty. I bought a bottle of cattleman’s Cajun fusion recently. It has a similar flavor and isn’t as salty. I still like voo doo better but I use it sparingly. We don’t usually eat many salty rubs. Wish they would cut out the msg and salt or offer a lower salt version. The flavor really is good. 
  • FX3S
    FX3S Posts: 1
    My kids can't eat it.  I would consider it similar to "hot" for hot wings....very subjective.

The taste is great but I go light because yes it can be salty.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    I can’t speak to the Voodoo but I use Holy Gospel from time to time on ribs.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I contacted the Meat Church store. They recommend starting out with a light coat and layer Honey Hog on top or just use Voodoo on the back side and Honey Hog on the meat side. I am going to split a slab and try the layering method and one half with just the Voodoo rub.