Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL rig...sorta

Options
I think I've seen a few people asking about XXL rigs, I know I have searched.  So I bought that 2XL conveggtor basket when it came out, along with the two big half pizza stones (actually that's the reason I bought the basket). Recently it was stored upside down in my XXL on top of grid.  When I opened it up the other day, I went aha.  So I put my XL grid on top of the upside down 2XL basket and threw some wings on just to give it a whirl.

They came out good btw, three types of Dizzy Pig rubs to do some taste testing.  Some with Ghost, some with Bombay Curry'ish, some with Tsunami (only one type in the finished pic, think that was Tsunami, the first to come off)

So after that cook, I looked at my CGS XL rig and went ohh, aha.  So that goes on top of the XL grid I had on my wing cook to make it four levels without being squished at all.  Yes, the XXL lid closes no problem with room to spare.  

Comments

• AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options
    Those look like some mighty fine wings brother.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Love the idea. I’ve considered just getting an AR like I have in my XL for the 2XL, but most of my 2XL cooks have been only one level big. Way to go on this one. Love the idea!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Hmm.  I have the same setup you used for the wing cook for my XXL.  It never occurred to me that I could get a AR for the XL to go on top of it...

Brilliant!

I'm thinking that 5 briskets fits easy with that setup.  Maybe up to 8.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hmm.  I have the same setup you used for the wing cook for my XXL.  It never occurred to me that I could get a AR for the XL to go on top of it...

Brilliant!

I'm thinking that 5 briskets fits easy with that setup.  Maybe up to 8.
    Going to need a photo of this…but if anyone can pull it off, it’s you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    marluc said:
    I think I've seen a few people asking about XXL rigs, I know I have searched.  So I bought that 2XL conveggtor basket when it came out, along with the two big half pizza stones (actually that's the reason I bought the basket). Recently it was stored upside down in my XXL on top of grid.  When I opened it up the other day, I went aha.  So I put my XL grid on top of the upside down 2XL basket and threw some wings on just to give it a whirl.

They came out good btw, three types of Dizzy Pig rubs to do some taste testing.  Some with Ghost, some with Bombay Curry'ish, some with Tsunami (only one type in the finished pic, think that was Tsunami, the first to come off)

So after that cook, I looked at my CGS XL rig and went ohh, aha.  So that goes on top of the XL grid I had on my wing cook to make it four levels without being squished at all.  Yes, the XXL lid closes no problem with room to spare.  

Super cool. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • marluc
    marluc Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys!  It just always bothered me that the XXL's potential wasn't close to being fulfilled.  I've come close a number of times to starting a XXL rig group buy thread for Tom to build and see if it gained traction and to see what number of units he'd need to make a run.  Just using the XL rig on top of the XXL grid didn't sit right with me...I'd rather just use my XL in that case.  It looks like this setup will take advantage of the XXL's sheer volume (and the charcoal). 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Great, now there will be a wing shortage from all the 2XL and XXL guys cooking 900 wings at a time!

Super cool!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Great, now there will be a wing shortage from all the 2XL and XXL guys cooking 900 wings at a time!

Super cool!

picked up the last two packages of wings off the shelf for the weekend, last summer i didnt even see chicken on display so maybe we are going to see that shortage again this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it