Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL Drip Pan Found - Brisket & Butts tonight

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
I've been looking around for a drip pan for my XXL and never really found anything the right size.
I finally checked the hot water heater pans (duh) at Lowe's and found this 24" pan.

It's 24" on the bottom, almost 26" across the top, and it was also just a bit deeper than the plate setter legs. I thought I might need to modify it to get it to fit, but as it seemed fine...

You'll notice that hole in the side of the pan to run a hose out of, I just plugged it up with foil.

Loaded with an entire 20lb bag of Rockwood and generous amounts of post oak and pecan wood chunks.

There's still room for more lump, but that should be enough (I hope).

All setup and ready to go:

I'm hoping to get a 16lb brisket and two almost 8lb pork butts on without an expander if possible. If not, I'll grab the AR from my XL.

I'll post more when I load the meat.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Nothing like a serendipitous event to make your day.  You must be throwing a great gathering to be cooking that amount of protein.  The recipients are gonna be extremely happy.
    Enjoy and bring on the pics-not like you're gonna run out of real estate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Following
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Dude.  Brilliant.  

On a different note - who the crap labeled your post as "off topic"?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2021
    Standing by like a hippie in a wind storm 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Now I’m sitting by like a hippie in a wind storm. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  Brilliant.  

On a different note - who the crap labeled your post as "off topic"?
    Dwayne debunked more than a few conspiracy theories here and a few Alex Jones worshippers got their pork butts hurt and can't let it go.  (my theory, anyway).

Looks like a grate setup, Dwayne!

lousubcap said:
    Nothing like a serendipitous event to make your day.  You must be throwing a great gathering to be cooking that amount of protein.  The recipients are gonna be extremely happy.
    Enjoy and bring on the pics-not like you're gonna run out of real estate.  
    No gathering here, I'm taking it to a 25th anniversary party for friends of ours tomorrow. Estimate is 40-45 folks to feed, I wanted to make sure none leave hungry. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    What’s the lump situation after running through the night? 
  • DMW
    CornfedMA said:
    What’s the lump situation after running through the night? 
    Not sure, haven't checked, but it's holding temp just fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• CornfedMA
    Should be fine. I’ll be curious to see how much fuel is left after shutdown. Looks like things are cruising right along. Keeping an eye on this one! 
  • DMW
    And, it’s done. 

From what I could tell, there was plenty of lump left. I’ll check it out when it cools off to know exactly how much. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    A feast awaits!! Nice work!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
     @SGH >> Standing by like a hippie in a wind storm

He says the darndest things...

Clever @DMW

Rats, on the Lowes site, they all look too big to fit just a Large.
    (makes sense thinking about my old water heater)

Related question - with a large Egg's grid diameter of 18.25"
    What is the largest diameter I should consider for an aluminum tray like that?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Their looking great @DMW
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    That egg is awesome- hope the party goes well. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • DMW said:
    I've been looking around for a drip pan for my XXL and never really found anything the right size.
    I finally checked the hot water heater pans (duh) at Lowe's and found this 24" pan.

It's 24" on the bottom, almost 26" across the top, and it was also just a bit deeper than the plate setter legs. I thought I might need to modify it to get it to fit, but as it seemed fine...

You'll notice that hole in the side of the pan to run a hose out of, I just plugged it up with foil.

Loaded with an entire 20lb bag of Rockwood and generous amounts of post oak and pecan wood chunks.

There's still room for more lump, but that should be enough (I hope).

All setup and ready to go:

I'm hoping to get a 16lb brisket and two almost 8lb pork butts on without an expander if possible. If not, I'll grab the AR from my XL.

I'll post more when I load the meat.

Wifey, over my shoulder, “wow, that is a clean grill.”
  • DMW
    CornfedMA said:
    Should be fine. I’ll be curious to see how much fuel is left after shutdown. Looks like things are cruising right along. Keeping an eye on this one! 
    I finally cleaned out the XXL after last weekend, here's the lump that was left @CornfedMA

I lit it around 8:00PM Saturday night and shut it down around 2:15 Sunday afternoon.

I realize I never posted any pics of the pork or brisket, here's a couple.

And FWIW, I need to figure out a better way to foil the drip pan. Given its size, 18" foil doesn't cover it with a single pass and the grease found its way through the seams. Here's what I had to clean out of the pan after removing the foil:

Anyone know where to get a 30" wide roll of foil?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• CornfedMA
    I don’t know why I’m surprised. Looks like plenty of fuel left to do a shorter L&S. Outstanding 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Sweet100s said:
     @SGH >> Standing by like a hippie in a wind storm

He says the darndest things...

Clever @DMW

Rats, on the Lowes site, they all look too big to fit just a Large.
    (makes sense thinking about my old water heater)

Related question - with a large Egg's grid diameter of 18.25"
    What is the largest diameter I should consider for an aluminum tray like that?
    I use a 16 inch pizza pan cover in aluminum foil with my kj classic (same size as lg egg).
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @DMW what a killer cook.  I imagine you could have put 4 butts on the xxl with the brisket and still had space.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2