Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roy Choi Cuban Sandwich is the Real Deal

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
  First off thanks to the guys that posted their Cuban cooks for putting this sandwich in my head. I had to make it and so glad I did.  

It all started on Wednesday night when I put a 5lb butt in the mojo brine 

On Thursday I smoked a ham for the sandwich for 7hrs at around 200° with some orange wood for smoke.  For some reason the small will hold crazy low temps so I let it go where it settled. 

Thursday night I took the butt out of the brine then threw it into a citrusy herby marinade till morning 

On Friday morning it went on the small running at 225 with some peach for smoke. 7 1/2 hrs later I pulled it when it hit 175, let it cool a bit then into the fridge to slice later. 

This morning I got up and sliced the ham and the butt and made a batch of Mojito to take to a friends house to make some sandwiches  I think over the last 3 days I’ve squeezed about 35 limes. Lol. 

Reheated the meat on the griddle then toasted the inner part of the buns. Now it’s sandwich building time. Pork butt,ham,Swiss,pickle and mustard from bottom to top.  Toasted the buns on the griddle with my CI plancha as the weight cause I ain’t gotz no panini press. 

Made 5 sandwiches in all. Here’s a pretty crappy pic of mine 

Everyone all agreed that this was the best Cuban sandwich they had ever had. My anticipation/anxiety of the time spent hoping it wasn’t wasted time paid off big time.  It was a great end result shared by great friends.  

*edit to correct recipe author. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments