Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Roy Choi Cuban Sandwich is the Real Deal

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,296
edited May 2 in EggHead Forum
  First off thanks to the guys that posted their Cuban cooks for putting this sandwich in my head. I had to make it and so glad I did.  

It all started on Wednesday night when I put a 5lb butt in the mojo brine 

On Thursday I smoked a ham for the sandwich for 7hrs at around 200° with some orange wood for smoke.  For some reason the small will hold crazy low temps so I let it go where it settled. 

Thursday night I took the butt out of the brine then threw it into a citrusy herby marinade till morning 

On Friday morning it went on the small running at 225 with some peach for smoke. 7 1/2 hrs later I pulled it when it hit 175, let it cool a bit then into the fridge to slice later. 

This morning I got up and sliced the ham and the butt and made a batch of Mojito to take to a friends house to make some sandwiches  I think over the last 3 days I’ve squeezed about 35 limes. Lol. 

Reheated the meat on the griddle then toasted the inner part of the buns. Now it’s sandwich building time. Pork butt,ham,Swiss,pickle and mustard from bottom to top.  Toasted the buns on the griddle with my CI plancha as the weight cause I ain’t gotz no panini press. 

Made 5 sandwiches in all. Here’s a pretty crappy pic of mine 

Everyone all agreed that this was the best Cuban sandwich they had ever had. My anticipation/anxiety of the time spent hoping it wasn’t wasted time paid off big time.  It was a great end result shared by great friends.  

*edit to correct recipe author. 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 20,011
    Oh my
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 4,019
    That looks killer! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 3,466
    I like the process here. Well done.  I want one.  No.  I want more than one. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,363
    Real nice brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 851
    I have the same plates! 

KILLER sammiches, btw

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 819
    Very, very nicely done.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,711
    edited May 2
    That looks amazing do you have a link for the recipe for it? I found a few sources for Roy Choi. SWMBO is keen on this and ordering a panini press. 😉
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,708
    Fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,592
    👍👍👍

LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,296
    Thanks folks. I’ve never brined a pork butt before. Just didn’t think many flavors would penetrate a big chunk of meat. When I sliced it I cut a piece from the center and tasted it first then had a bite from the outer.  Both had a great taste but you could tell the different levels of penetration of the brine vs the marinade. 

@Stormbringer I used the one from the Chef Show webpage 

This one for the meat. It has a link for the sammi build at the end of the brine/marinade recipe. 
    https://thechefshow.com/recipes/roast-mojo-pork

• StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,711
    @Mattman3969 cheers that's now in the recipe backlog.
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 23,466
    What a way to lay it out and then bring it all together.  Great prep, cook and finish.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • GrateEggspectationsGrateEggspectations Posts: 5,484
    Solid effort and result. Bet it was fantastic. That mojito looks mighty fine as well. 
  • RyanStlRyanStl Posts: 260
    edited May 2
    Glad it was worth it because you really put time into that cook. Looks great.
  • Wow, it looks great! What kind of bread did you use? 

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,296
    @Florida Grillin Girl  Thank you. It was just a French bread loaf that we cut to sandwich length.  

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,667
    totally nailed it!  Great cook & thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'

Bob Hope:

When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

• calikingcaliking Posts: 15,203
    Gotta love a cook that takes 4 days to execute. That's a sammich to behold, and revere. And, then... EAT :)

The brine for the ham looks amazing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 1,075
    This is one of my favorite sandwiches. This and a good Ruben. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL