Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Venmo safe and foolproof? Or are scams possible?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I’ve only been using Venmo for a couple years now to receive payments. Today I was hit with a problem I don’t understand. On the surface it seems totally legit until I started getting confused and then suspicious later on.

A fellow whose name I don’t recognize, much less have in my in coming nor out going email (suspect # 2 or 3) says that he sent me several hundred dollars by mistake. Sounded legit since Venmo says they got it and after signing in then yes the money is in my account! 

He wants me to return it as a payment to him using my bank account (MAJOR flag).

I would be glad to just refuse his payment but don’t have a clue how to do it, but when I sent him (via Venmo) the instructions for HIM to cancel the transaction he said he can’t do it that way...

Anybody starting to understand why I smell something stinky? I have since asked him to email me with some info, instead of all this communication back and forth using Venmo only!

Thing is the amount he sent was $700, so it really seemed legit, but giving him any access to my bank account info makes me VERY suspicious! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I would be very cautious.  I would do everything through Venmo and not send money direct from you bank.  Minimum, I would call your bank tomorrow and ask for advice.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 665
    edited May 2021
    Venmo has the most social networking aspect of the pay apps so you will want to hide yourself as much as possible. 

This is what the sender should do if he sent $ to you in error..  
    https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/209681208-I-paid-the-wrong-person-

Don’t send money back based on an imaginary handshake.   If you have the money in your account, you will want to give it back. Be careful there are not two processes giving it back at the same time. 

Look at #4 here:  https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/find-my-answers/venmo-scams-302911

maybe block the user and let Venmo sort it out. 
  • RRP
    Venmo has the most social networking aspect of the pay apps so you will want to hide yourself as much as possible. 

This is what the sender should do if he sent $ to you in error..  
    https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/209681208-I-paid-the-wrong-person-

Don’t send money back based on an imaginary handshake. 
    THAT is exactly what I copied and sent him and he replied that he can’t do that! 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    This is the same MO of the Craigslist Rental Scams........if it walks like a duck
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Send him a note saying to get the refund from Venmo and then block him.  I know it feels weird to sit on the cash but Venmo has withdrawal rights on your account and they will use it when the fraud is proven on his original deposit that was paid to you. 
  • RRP
    lkapigian said:
    This is the same MO of the Craigslist Rental Scams........if it walks like a duck
    Even for $700? I’m not on Craigslist nor all that worldly...but this just stunk...when he started saying I couldn’t send his refund without using my bank account.

Guess I might have $700 free money to spend on tools, you think, huh?  :):):)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    check out #4 @RRP   This seems to be a common scam involving payments being made from stolen credit card info 

https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/find-my-answers/venmo-scams-302911

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    check out #4 @RRP   This seems to be a common scam involving payments being made from stolen credit card info 

https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/find-my-answers/venmo-scams-302911
    Thank you! Other than the scammer giving me a probable fake name that #4 fit like a glove! 
  • RRP
    Looks like unbeknownst to me I posted a PSA!  :)

I guess maybe posting even Off Topic subjects on the regular forum might help others.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    If you get his address, make it right by sending him $700 worth of Rutland Gaskets with installation instructions.  Thank him for making the largest once time purchase from your gasket supply store.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    Even for $700? I’m not on Craigslist nor all that worldly...but this just stunk...when he started saying I couldn’t send his refund without using my bank account.

Its a mirror account 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    lkapigian said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

Its a mirror account 
    Laundering rather than scamming?
  • Clutch227
    Clutch227 Posts: 11
    I think the scam is going to be that his $700 isn’t going to clear somehow after you’ve sent him back $700.  He’s found a way to “send” $700 temporarily, and hopes that you send $700 back before Venmo figures out his $700 doesn’t exist.  

Don’t send anything - let Venmo figure it out.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That account was likely hacked or device stolen or borrowed.  If it was a real account the guy would be on the hook for mail fraud.  The money would eventually be returned to the rightful owner and Ron would be out $700.  Someone has to lose in this scenario.  If Ron does nothing, he won't get scammed out of money.
    The person probably paid using credit card and will do a charge back after you pay back using your bank account or it was sent to you from stolen card.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited May 2021
    It’s a scam. Do nothing other than contact venmo through proper channels. 

Do not try to be ‘helpful’, that’s part of the social engineering. Namely: “But I’m a good person, and I just wanted to help” 

The $700 he sent is not real. 

This is also why you should not post your everyday email, real name, phone number, etc all over social media. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @RRP - thanks for the PSA here.  The linked articles are worth a read.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2021
    That account was likely hacked or device stolen or borrowed.  If it was a real account the guy would be on the hook for mail fraud.  The money would eventually be returned to the rightful owner and Ron would be out $700.  Someone has to lose in this scenario.  If Ron does nothing, he won't get scammed out of money.
    ^^^^this^^^^
    Looks just like his account and probably logged into it with a provided link ....you may want to update your password as hou could have easily just given them yours 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Don't do anything.....just let it sit.  Venmo/Paypal will eventually take it back once they find the fraud.  Do not complicate things by being proactive.  Seriously, this is their problem, not yours and it's better to let it play out.  Whoever it got stolen from with get their money back from their bank or credit card, and Venmo/PayPal will have to eat it if they cannot get it back from you.....and they should have better safeguards in place to make sure this crap doesn't happen.

I have zero sympathy for them after they screwed me on deal.  Had a guy buy about $5000 of BGE stuff from me.  He put half down through a PayPal invoice, then I swiped his card with a PayPal reader on pickup for the other half.  Then he disputed the downpayment before he ever got here.  I sent them his signature on the invoice showing the downpayment credited, pictures of his license plate, video of him loading the stuff in his car (which matched the invoiced items), our text messages confirming everything.  PayPal's response, "Nope too bad, he said he didn't get it."
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @stlcharcoal call the Mounties and tell them someone stole from you.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    If only it were a Nigerian Prince!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Could this not be @WesJohnson raising his ugly head?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Could this not be @WesJohnson raising his ugly head?

Agree
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    Law enforcement may have probable cause to get a subpoena for that thief's IP address....

This joker would be the only one who needed your bank account to get his money back, while everyone else in the world would get it returned via the Venmo system!.  If he "can't do it that way", I'd tell him "Sucks for you. Bye Felisha..."
  • RRP
    EPILOGUE:
    Thanks for all the sage advice! I have done nothing and the $700 will sit in my Venmo account until Venmo takes it back. At this stage the perp has no information about me other than my Venmo account and he isn't getting anything from me - not even a nasty reply to his last Venmo comment which now was 14 hours ago.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    You should open a gasket selling empire with the proceeds, seems like the best thing to do.  I say this because I need a new gasket.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Fellas. Keep in mind Venmo is not backed by any fiduciary insurance. Leave little to nothing in those accounts. 
  • nolaegghead
    ColbyLang said:
    Fellas. Keep in mind Venmo is not backed by any fiduciary insurance. Leave little to nothing in those accounts. 

FDIC insurance is if the institution fails (not you getting ripped off), in this case, if Venmo failed you could lose your money if that money went in your account from Venmo transactions.  It would be insured if you loaded it up from your bank account or through direct deposit.