Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whose ribs are prettier than mine?

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
Hadn't posted in while.  These are looking good.  Like I say when playing golf, "It's never too late to fudge it up!"

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    I dunno why they are sideways...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    They were right on, and the "homemade" orange-habanero sauce was killer!

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
     Nice Rack !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Outstanding.  And beautiful.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Nice looking ribs.  Care to share the recipe for the orange-habanero sauce?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnEggGio
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments and apologies for the sideways pics.

For the sauce: this was about 2 cups of Sweet Baby Rays, about a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, a fresh habanero halved (mine came from the freezer), and either several slices of orange or orange juice if you have it.  I let this simmer on low about 90 minutes to release the essences of the orange and the habanero.  Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.  I love the combination of heat and sweet, and especially with pork, the orange works really well.  This is my favorite bbq sauce enhancement.

edit: I made myself hungry...just hit the kitchen and snarfled 2 leftover ribs slathered in sauce...yum!!!  One of the joys of working from home.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Wibbies look great . . . plate setter not so much!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Wibbies look great . . . plate setter not so much!  =)
    Yeah, pretty ugly - that's a stainless (😂) steel pizza pan on a spider.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Nice rack! I’m also curious why the egg is not rotated 90 degrees clockwise in the nest?
    canuckland
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Nice rack! I’m also curious why the egg is not rotated 90 degrees clockwise in the nest?
    Because I set it up wrong and decided to live with it rather than give myself a hernia trying to fix it.  I know it's "wrong" but functionally it's been a non-issue.😊
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Because I set it up wrong and decided to live with it rather than give myself a hernia trying to fix it.  I know it's "wrong" but functionally it's been a non-issue.😊
    I recall seeing someone deliberately setting it up in a similar way due to unusual space constraint, kind of like a PK Original! I'm a weakling but managed to assemble/disassemble several eggs alone, using divide-n-conquer approach,  no hernia  :)
    canuckland
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    I recall seeing someone deliberately setting it up in a similar way due to unusual space constraint, kind of like a PK Original! I'm a weakling but managed to assemble/disassemble several eggs alone, using divide-n-conquer approach,  no hernia  :)
    Ok, toss in a generous dose of laziness...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE