Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Lunch break with leftover pizza. A little spice for the win. 

A “little spice” eh?  I believe that’s the hot sauce that tends to pack the biggest punch on that hot wings show.  Do you use that stuff a lot?
    I have been a big hot sauce guy for years. This past year, my wife got me a Hot Ones sauce pack including a lot of the sauces used by the show - some relatively mild and some on the wilder side. I had had Da Bomb before, but never used it on the regular. Through habituation, it has become my daily dipper. I am really looking forward to opening the Last Dab sauce, as it carries a much higher scoville rating than Da Bomb. This being said, as you note, Da Bomb seems to be the one that gives guests on Sean’s show the most trouble. I can report back with a comparison if ever you’re interested. Are you a spice guy, John?

Had recently seen this episode for the first time. It is worth a watch. 

I appreciate spicy foods, yeah, but I suspect that stuff would be much more heat than I’d care to use on the regular.  
    You’d be surprised what you can get used to if used on the regular. It’s really just a matter of knowing what to expect, I think. I feel like @lousubcap’s Zoom sessions would be a good forum for some hot sauce tomfoolery. 
    Oh I know it’s about building up a tolerance.  I’d just have to be motivated to get there, and I’m not sure the first couple of tries would be all that much fun.  For now a bit of gochujang provides all the extra zip I need.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I sold the Weber Smokey Mountain to my buddy that I picked up last fall off Craigslist. I spent a good three plus hours cleaning it up. Once cleaned up I set it off to the side and winter hit. I came across a different used smoker that I ended up purchasing a few weeks back and something had to go. I knew my buddy was interested getting into smoking. A quick text and it was sold. 

I stopped over this afternoon and showed him the ropes. He did burgers, spatchcock chicken, and a pork roast. It was fun playing around with that type of smoker again. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations I climbed that ladder, until, I didn’t. I enjoy the heat on my taste buds however the day after my guts feel like they are digesting thermite. I have dialed it back considerably as a result. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations I climbed that ladder, until, I didn’t. I enjoy the heat on my taste buds however the day after my guts feel like they are digesting thermite. I have dialed it back considerably as a result. 
    Sounds like you had some fun. 🙃 I’ve never found hot sauce to give me much trouble beyond the palate, but perhaps I am just being propped up by my *relatively* young age - I’m really an old man and have always been. I feel the burn only one time, though. 🙂
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    I’m sub 40 but I have the guts of a 60 something 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’m sub 40 but I have the guts of a 60 something 
    I’m sub-40 too. I’m a really aged millennial, actually. Tell your body it can take on the spice and it will comply. 🙂
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Eating some of this. It's pretty stout.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

Nice. Haven’t had that one. 50K scoville units or so, right?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2021
    Options

Nice. Haven’t had that one. 50K scoville units or so, right?
    It says 2M but I dunno about that. I think that is the pepper not this sauce.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    GrateEggspectations said:
    You’d be surprised what you can get used to if used on the regular. It’s really just a matter of knowing what to expect, I think. 
    I grew up in a German/Norwegian household in South Dakota, no real exposure to hot stuff at all.  As a shiny new AF Second Lieutenant, I took my first TDY (business trip) to Orlando, via the Atlanta airport; I wandered into a snack bar and ordered some cheese nachos.  Was asked if I wanted "jalapeños", I said Sure, not knowing what they were.  I finished them, wiped the tears from my eyes, and made my flight.
    I did NOT make the first 2 hours of my meeting the next morning, crying on the toilet.  I got better.  
    Five years later I transferred to Albuquerque in fall of '87, a particularly dry year and even the locals were burning up on the local chile, another giant step for the sickly white kid.  :D  We had a hot sauce club in my office up at Grand Forks ('92), and three drops of "Insanity Sauce" on my breakfast burrito was too much (for my team too) and that's where I quit trying to "advance".  I'll mince some raw serrano for dishes, and even marinate jerk with two habaneros, but I have no desire to go further.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WeberWho said:

A “little spice” eh?  I believe that’s the hot sauce that tends to pack the biggest punch on that hot wings show.  Do you use that stuff a lot?
    I have been a big hot sauce guy for years. This past year, my wife got me a Hot Ones sauce pack including a lot of the sauces used by the show - some relatively mild and some on the wilder side. I had had Da Bomb before, but never used it on the regular. Through habituation, it has become my daily dipper. I am really looking forward to opening the Last Dab sauce, as it carries a much higher scoville rating than Da Bomb. This being said, as you note, Da Bomb seems to be the one that gives guests on Sean’s show the most trouble. I can report back with a comparison if ever you’re interested. Are you a spice guy, John?

I appreciate spicy foods, yeah, but I suspect that stuff would be much more heat than I’d care to use on the regular.  
    I stopped over at my friend's this afternoon and was given a hot sauce his wife had purchased for him. He tried it and said it was way too for his liking. I'll be giving it a try one of these nights with tacos or on some eggs. 

I have gone through a bottle of that.  Delicious, not too hot.
    Options
    Hot sauce is fun, easy to control. The last meal that tapped me out was Thai, the next morning and following 4 hours made me ask myself, why?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I stopped over at my friend's this afternoon and was given a hot sauce his wife had purchased for him. He tried it and said it was way too for his liking. I'll be giving it a try one of these nights with tacos or on some eggs. 

If you enjoy that you should try the Walkers Wood Scotch Sauce.  It's excellent.  I put it on my eggs all the time.

Walkerswood Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce Hot 6
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I recently took on the local Chinese place with a hot dish. They won.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Just got off the roof cleaning gutters. SWMBO walks out on the deck while I’m on the roof, backpack blower on and asks “what are you doing “...
    umm....cleaning out the gutters. Starts blower. 
    Yup, I’m in trouble 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan
    Options
    Got home to find a package on the door step. Got to love when the parents still come through with awesome birthday presents, even if I’m pushing 40. 
    Nice! I’m a fan of Vortex optics

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Gassed red dyed  :) tandoori chicken, quite impressed with how evenly it cooks. Started direct for the char, finished indirect. Can't beat the convenience. 

Looks great, as per usual. A few years back, I toyed between a Napoleon and a Weber. I ended up going for the P500RSIB. I LOVE the infrared side burner, but was pretty disappointed with the longevity off the bat - some rusting parts, failed starters, etc. If I was to do it again, I’d go for the Weber. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Contemplating whether there really is a God....

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hot sauce is fun, easy to control. The last meal that tapped me out was Thai, the next morning and following 4 hours made me ask myself, why?
    One of the spiciest things I’ve ever had was an authentic Thai dish.  I tried about half a spoonful, spit it out immediately,  and then spent the next hour washing my mouth out with milk.  It felt like my entire face was hot lava.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options

OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!

Options

This is what the sink looks like after my 8yo has brushed her teeth.....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I was going to say...after a Smurf orgy, but that probably would conjure too many bad images in forum members.
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina our favorite Thai restaurant spice level is graded on a scale of 1-10 just tell them what you want.  I started with 7 and have slowly dialed it down to a sweet spot of 4, my wife gets a chuckle out of that for some reason..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina our favorite Thai restaurant spice level is graded on a scale of 1-10 just tell them what you want.  I started with 7 and have slowly dialed it down to a sweet spot of 4, my wife gets a chuckle out of that for some reason..
    That’s about where I am as well at the ones I go to.  Most of these places also have an off-scale “Thai spicy” that you have to ask for, and when you do, the manager comes out and looks at you and asks if you’re really sure you want it that hot, you stupid American.  
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    In Indian restaurants, you often have to have a conversation with the waiter to determine if their very hot curry (typically vindaloo) is Indian hot or hot toned down for English people.

At home, I like to use whole chillies as well as some powder / chopped chillies.  This gives two levels in one dish: background 'hot' and 'very hot' (if you want to eat the whole chillies). The Russian Roulette bit is funny sometimes as well.
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    That’s about where I am as well at the ones I go to.  Most of these places also have an off-scale “Thai spicy” that you have to ask for, and when you do, the manager comes out and looks at you and asks if you’re really sure you want it that hot, you stupid American.  

I made that mistake once and only once. Ordered "Thai Hot" and it came out swimming in Thai chili's. I took one bite

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    roommate in college used to make indian rice with ghost peppers, thats before any one knew what those were. biting into a whole ghost pepper was insane
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We have a favorite Indian place.  I made the mistake of mentioning that "hey last time I was in here, I asked for spicy and it wasn't really that hot"

The aftermath of the that next meal was not pretty.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI