Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Combining Rubs and Rubs for Sidedishes

Options
How have you combined rubs to improve flavor - 
and
What rubs do you use with your side dishes 

Thank you - Mr Toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I suspect you'll get a much better answer than this but here goes.

I've combined rubs in 3 circumstances.

1) I (or others) find a "spicy" rub too spicy/hot - so I mix it with a milder rub to get some of the heat/flavor but keep the food edible for the group.

2) Based on a friend who has done very well in BBQ competitions where they add a "ribeye" or "beef" or "steak" category I currently do the following on all beef.
    - a first layer of Chupacabra Steak Rub.  It is ground very fine and probably has some MSG in it so I don't layer it too thick.
    - a second layer of some good steak rub with a larger grind (Montreal Steak or John Henry Mojave Garlic Pepper or something that is largely salt and pepper based)
    - a layer of freshly ground pepper - because I worry about the age of my rubs and I like the fresh pepper taste.

3) When one of my bottles is running low I mix them together - trying to think of stuff that will complement each other - but I've got no guidance for you there.  

As for sides, I just use "whatever" - with one exception.  On potatoes and other lighter colored sides I like to use black lava salt as my salt source.  It fools the eyes and creates an expectation of there being a lot of pepper.  Then when you bite into it there's not nearly as much pepper as you think and the salt really comes through.

I hope that helps.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    "Foghorn"  -  Thank you
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited April 2021
    Options
    SPG for the win for me...watch combining commercial rubs in " layers " as the # 1 ingredient is salt you can tend to oversalt ...i vary my SPG ratio depending on the cook, I add Brown Sugar mixes with no salt @ the end of the cooks to avoid burning ....my 2 cents, play with flavors you like and make your own rubs, you likely have everything you need already 

Simple is better, good food starts with good food, let the protein be the star 

Flor Blanca is an excellent salt on its own
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian