Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knock off kamados

What’s the verdict on other brands of kamado? My neighbour is envious and asked for advice on the ALDI version - which is a third the price of a BGE in the uk and sells out every year. I’m sure it’s not as good but if it’s 70% as good it’s prob worth it. 

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I’d say it’s worth the risk. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    For 1/3 the price you're right around the big box store gas grill prices. I wouldn't treat it much different than your typical gas grill. If it lasts 3-4 years I'd call it success. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Useful to know. Thanks everyone 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I would rather get a used BGE, which is what I did. If you are patient you can find some good deals.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    RyanStl said:
    I would rather get a used BGE, which is what I did. If you are patient you can find some good deals.
    You are going against the biggest argument to get the egg, the warranty. I got a classic Joe full warranty & divide and conquer for $700. The Classic 3 is up to BGE prices, but you do get the gasket upgrade and vortex.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    beteez said:
    RyanStl said:
    You are going against the biggest argument to get the egg, the warranty. I got a classic Joe full warranty & divide and conquer for $700. The Classic 3 is up to BGE prices, but you do get the gasket upgrade and vortex.
    This. I know 2 different family members that did the exact same thing. $700 for a Lg Joe. No looking back. I’d buy a knock off for the deer lease, use it 6-8 times a season and be satisfied I didn’t spend an arm and a leg to get it (especially if it broke)
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    The Aldi one is like hen's teeth. They sell out in minutes.  
    To be fair, the cost of BGE or KJ is prohibitive when most UK BBQ-ists would get a touch of the seconds at £300 for a gasser.  
    Do you follow James Buckley on YouTube?  Not only is he far more personable than you would assume (no that's wrong, I assumed) based solely on The Inbetweeners, but he does some great cooks on a Weber and recently a Traeger.  
    I would point fellow Brits to the Hellzar Yama, but they're coming in at 600 notes.  Still fancy one though despite no temp gauge and the handle getting hot. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    RyanStl said:

I'm betting that the used marketplace for a BGE in the UK is not near as vigorous as in the US. Might be waiting a long time for a good used BGE in the UK.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I've had a few different ones.  The Blaze Kamado blows them all away, in my humble opinion.  Ain't nothing ever going to crack, and the little things make the difference.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    HeavyG said:
    RyanStl said:

I'm betting that the used marketplace for a BGE in the UK is not near as vigorous as in the US. Might be waiting a long time for a good used BGE in the UK.
    Virtually no second-hand market yet. Quick look on Ebay, no Eggs at all. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hub said:
    I've had a few different ones.  The Blaze Kamado blows them all away, in my humble opinion.  Ain't nothing ever going to crack, and the little things make the difference.
    Had never heard of that aluminum Blaze. A few years back there was another metal kamado being made from cast iron. The company contacted me. I don't recall the name, nor ever heard of it again. 

I did get a kick out of the Blaze video putting several slugs through their cooker...if that's what you like to be able to do to show off after a few beers with your buddies! Yup, a BGE couldn't withstand all those shots like the Blaze! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited April 2021
    RRP said:
    Hub said:
    Had never heard of that aluminum Blaze. A few years back there was another metal kamado being made from cast iron. The company contacted me. I don't recall the name, nor ever heard of it again. 

I did get a kick out of the Blaze video putting several slugs through their cooker...if that's what you like to be able to do to show off after a few beers with your buddies! Yup, a BGE couldn't withstand all those shots like the Blaze! LOL

The cast iron kamado you're talking about is probably the Golden's. They are still around and folks seem to love them. Like the Blaze there are some advantages over all the ceramic makes.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:
    Hub said:

The cast iron kamado you're talking about is probably the Golden's. They are still around and folks seem to love them. Like the Blaze there are some advantages over all the ceramic makes.

Yes, Sir! That is the product! 
  • If I was to do it again, I’d go Blaze in a heartbeat. I’ve read two distinct downsides to the Blaze relative to ceramics: i) less efficient, and ii) they get crazy hot. Even so, I think the advantages (e.g., durability, no parts that will crack, etc.) would steer me to get one.

And really, who doesn’t want to cook on a rocket ship?
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I had also consider Goldens cast iron model.  It was a close second to the Blaze.  I don't plan to drop my kamado off of a loading dock or blast it with a shotgun, but I do like that I don't have to worry about cracks.  I also love that I can add lump during the cook, and the removable plug for temperature probes.  The only thing I don't like is the place setter.  It is flat and without legs, so picking it up off a flat surface can be difficult.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cast iron is brittle and can crack/shatter like ceramic.  Just takes more force.
    Cast iron is brittle and can crack/shatter like ceramic.  Just takes more force.
    There is such a thing as "Ductile Cast Iron" which had improved impact resistance and fatigue resistance due to nodular graphite.  Hence the other moniker nodular cast iron.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    There is such a thing as "Ductile Cast Iron" which had improved impact resistance and fatigue resistance due to nodular graphite.  Hence the other moniker nodular cast iron.
    Leave out most of the carbon that makes iron "cast iron" (from 2-3% carbon) to below 0.5%, and you increase ductility and reduce fractures.  I think they call that "cast steel". 
    Leave out most of the carbon that makes iron "cast iron" (from 2-3% carbon) to below 0.5%, and you increase ductility and reduce fractures.  I think they call that "cast steel". 
    Yes, cast steel would be a good option.  I think there is probably a market for a unit machined out of a large billet.  I am sure a competent marking team could sell it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Yes, cast steel would be a good option.  I think there is probably a market for a unit machined out of a large billet. 
    I don’t suppose you could recommend a big yellow tractor company that might want to give that idea a try do you?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited April 2021
    RRP said:
    Yes, cast steel would be a good option.  I think there is probably a market for a unit machined out of a large billet. 
    I don’t suppose you could recommend a big yellow tractor company that might want to give that idea a try do you?
    Woooooo, you are a gentleman and a scholar!  Badging a grill with CAT would be epic, you could mark that thing up like crazy!!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Nodular is a cooler word though.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:
    Hub said:

If only they made an equivalent XL size I'd be all over it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:
    Sure, if you think the things they surgically remove from various internal body parts translates well to iron.

Eoin said:
    Sure, if you think the things they surgically remove from various internal body parts translates well to iron.

I'm not a medic, so CI comes to mind first when using 'nodular'.
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

I'm just being difficult.  Rough day = churlish behavior.

Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

I'm just being difficult.  Rough day = churlish behavior.

Churlish or childish?
  • nolaegghead
    Yes