Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knock off kamados

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    edited April 2021
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yes, cast steel would be a good option.  I think there is probably a market for a unit machined out of a large billet. 
    I don’t suppose you could recommend a big yellow tractor company that might want to give that idea a try do you?
    Woooooo, you are a gentleman and a scholar!  Badging a grill with CAT would be epic, you could mark that thing up like crazy!!
    I suppose, but seeing that motorcycle that Orange County Choppers made for CAT using pieces and parts from dozers was one ugly machine so I can't imagine how ugly a CAT inspired grill would be!...BUT I bet it would be durable!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Yes, cast steel would be a good option.  I think there is probably a market for a unit machined out of a large billet. 
    I don’t suppose you could recommend a big yellow tractor company that might want to give that idea a try do you?
    Woooooo, you are a gentleman and a scholar!  Badging a grill with CAT would be epic, you could mark that thing up like crazy!!
    I suppose, but seeing that motorcycle that Orange County Choppers made for CAT using pieces and parts from dozers was one ugly machine so I can't imagine how ugly a CAT inspired grill would be!...BUT I bet it would be durable!

We had one of the two bikes they built in my old building.  It was an odd overall effect.  Up close they had a lot of cool details, but the craftmanship was not great.  From far away it seemed rather bland.  Supposedly it was awful to ride too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

We had one of the two bikes they built in my old building.  It was an odd overall effect.  Up close they had a lot of cool details, but the craftmanship was not great.  From far away it seemed rather bland.  Supposedly it was awful to ride too.
    https://youtu.be/uJGtWVA6_QA
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

https://youtu.be/uJGtWVA6_QA
    Love that UTube channel.  Haven't seen that episode though.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

It appeared to me as a 2 wheeled “rat rod” made by some 3rd shift guys from whatever parts that they found in the recycle bins. Can’t imagine that performance wise it was anything but a slug.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    First time seeing kamado knockoff at our local grocery store!

canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead: First for me as well. Wonder how they are. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

It appeared to me as a 2 wheeled “rat rod” made by some 3rd shift guys from whatever parts that they found in the recycle bins. Can’t imagine that performance wise it was anything but a slug.
    Which is what a chopper should be. It just shouldn't cost 6 figures for those 3rd shift guys to cobble it together.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @Canugghead: First for me as well. Wonder how they are. 
    Looks like a rebranded Vision but stand is almost carbon copy of egg stand. Size unknown, 10yr warranty and no tax this week; IMO better option than buying a used egg with zero warranty.
    canuckland
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    caliking said:
    Heck, one could even build a kamado style cooker with a couple of large flower pots. 
    Like this one ?
    https://www.al.com/bargain-mom/2013/06/how_to_make_alton_browns_flowe.html

Raleigh, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2021
    Options
    One cannot talk about knock-offs without mentioning the units forged by the gods:

https://komodokamado.com/