Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting a new cook

Orsi
Orsi Posts: 15
How many eggers redo the charcoal at the beginning of a new cook?  By that I mean removing the charcoal from the previous cook, putting new large lump in the bottom and then topping up with used charcoal (usually smaller) and new small lump if necessary.

Comments

• Orsi
    Orsi Posts: 15
    I really have not figured out my way around this particular web page!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Orsi said:
    How many eggers redo the charcoal at the beginning of a new cook?  By that I mean removing the charcoal from the previous cook, putting new large lump in the bottom and then topping up with used charcoal (usually smaller) and new small lump if necessary.

All that sounds like too much work to me. :)
    I'll just add more charcoal if I don't think what is left in the bowl will be sufficient for the duration of the cook. I don't make any effort beyond just pouring new into the bowl.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I only fully remove and reload when doing a knowingly double digit hour cook whatever it may be
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I never do that.  I have been known to pitch old lump that has burned down to mostly tiny pieces or that is coated in chicken grease.  I hate chicken grease smoke!

But, I typically give it a stir, add some new if needed, and light it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Not me. I just give it a big old stir, remove the ashes, and then dump new charcoal on top to top the firebox up ... hasn't been a problem yet for me.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I just add my wood chunks then dump new on top.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Having a KAB (Kick Ash Basket) makes this easier, but I typically put new lump on the bottom, top it off with the leftover lump and light. The used lump lights quickly, which is nice.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i stir out some ash if im starting an overnight cook or the ash is really building up. once or twice a year when its getting low ill pull the fire box and clean behind it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I remove the big pieces and wash them so as to get all the grease off then I sit them out on my deck to dry, the small pieces I toss..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    i stir out some ash if im starting an overnight cook or the ash is really building up. once or twice a year when its getting low ill pull the fire box and clean behind it
    It's almost time for me to do that ... plan on pulling the firebox on the next cook, and giving it a good sweeping!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I'm in the @lkapigian camp here.  Clean load if anticipating a long run.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2021
    I remove the KAB, put it in a heavy-duty trash bag and give it a good shake. Then I replace the KAB and add fresh lump.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Yep, KAB. Give it a few shakes over the garbage and place back in egg. Load wth new lump on top. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    stir, clean out ash and then dump new lump then make pocket for fire starter(s)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    loco_engr said:
    stir, clean out ash and then dump new lump then make pocket for fire starter(s)
    This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    That.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Unless it's a long cook and I'm low on charcoal, in other words, if there's enough in there for my cook, I just light the old stuff and don't fck with it.