Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dow Jones 32k!

Options

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    tomtnc said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks as I did read that. I'm not smart enough to attempt a conversation on the pros and cons of the tax system.  Perhaps I can gain enlightenment on the Friday Zoom/speakeasy.  However, many will likely not be drinking beer so there's that challenge.   B)
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks as I did read that. I'm not smart enough to attempt a conversation on the pros and cons of the tax system.  Perhaps I can gain enlightenment on the Friday Zoom/speakeasy.  However, many will likely not be drinking beer so there's that challenge.   B)
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I get the comments regarding the beer youtube, but I fail to see where the end game is flawed as questioned above.  Seems to me how it works-right or wrong but I am in fly over country, so there's that.   B)
    Any time someone puts forward a relatively simple story like guys paying for beer in a bar to explain a fairly complex system (like US taxes), you should question it.  Certainly these kind of things can shed insight into how these things work, and there is a lot of value in simplifying something down to its core elements, but there’s a clear agenda behind that story.  Its goal is not to help people understand the US tax code, but rather to signal that very wealthy people in the US already pay more than their fair share of taxes and that when there’s a cut OF COURSE they benefit more and that’s only fair too and under no circumstances should we ever entertain raising their taxes.  I’m being a little hyperbolic but that is the clear agenda.

Anyway... if you want to understand what’s actually wrong with the beer as taxes parable, there are many people who’ve explained it better than I can.  Here’s a Forbes (that bastion of liberalism!) piece from a few years ago, for example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2017/10/31/beer-is-not-a-metaphor-for-tax-fairness/?sh=52c6582756d3

Enjoy.
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I get the comments regarding the beer youtube, but I fail to see where the end game is flawed as questioned above.  Seems to me how it works-right or wrong but I am in fly over country, so there's that.   B)
    Any time someone puts forward a relatively simple story like guys paying for beer in a bar to explain a fairly complex system (like US taxes), you should question it.  Certainly these kind of things can shed insight into how these things work, and there is a lot of value in simplifying something down to its core elements, but there’s a clear agenda behind that story.  Its goal is not to help people understand the US tax code, but rather to signal that very wealthy people in the US already pay more than their fair share of taxes and that when there’s a cut OF COURSE they benefit more and that’s only fair too and under no circumstances should we ever entertain raising their taxes.  I’m being a little hyperbolic but that is the clear agenda.

Anyway... if you want to understand what’s actually wrong with the beer as taxes parable, there are many people who’ve explained it better than I can.  Here’s a Forbes (that bastion of liberalism!) piece from a few years ago, for example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2017/10/31/beer-is-not-a-metaphor-for-tax-fairness/?sh=52c6582756d3

Enjoy.
    lousubcap said:

Enjoy.

Sort out those multi-quotes!
  • Eoin
    Options
    I personally wouldn’t mind paying more taxes if it wasn’t all pissed away. 
    A bit of an easy get out clause, since we all consider different things as 'pissed away'.
  • Eoin
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

everyone's at a table playing the same $#!++y hand.  The amount of hustle determines your seating chart. Don't like your seat, change your hustle. If some haven't figured this out yet, I'll help. The government will never help you get a better seat. Maybe on the surface for a short period, sure...but long term the house always wins.  Life is too short, so hustle....everything else is just people making noise

#live_on_passive_income
    The starting point of your argument is wrong, because we're not all playing the same hand.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    I wonder if the 1%ers **** about how much less everyone else has as some do about how much more they have..

some of y’all are too concerned with someone else’s work when you should be focused on your own...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Options
    Watched Office Space again last night. Great film.
  • billt01
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

everyone's at a table playing the same $#!++y hand.  The amount of hustle determines your seating chart. Don't like your seat, change your hustle. If some haven't figured this out yet, I'll help. The government will never help you get a better seat. Maybe on the surface for a short period, sure...but long term the house always wins.  Life is too short, so hustle....everything else is just people making noise

#live_on_passive_income
    The starting point of your argument is wrong, because we're not all playing the same hand.
    That’s the problem with some on here...it’s not an argument...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Argument, point, opinion etc. It's still wrong.
  • billt01
    Options
    Eoin said: 
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

So is yours..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

You’re debating the guy who thinks heart disease is contagious and that you can catch it at the McDonald’s drive through window.  The concept of being galactically wrong tends to be a tough sell with him.   Just an observation.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income
    Good analysis of the topic over here in this book, Owen.  A bit of a dense read but an interesting breakdown.  It’s US focused but I bet a lot applies to the UK as well.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

You’re debating the guy who thinks heart disease is contagious and that you can catch it at the McDonald’s drive through window.  The concept of being galactically wrong tends to be a tough sell with him.   Just an observation.
    But at least he’s gone to a new personal wealth seminar.  It’s nice to have new talking points and buzzwords.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• billt01
    Options
    Acn said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

But at least he’s gone to a new personal wealth seminar.  It’s nice to have new talking points and buzzwords.
    Yeah...that’s it..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income
    Good analysis of the topic over here in this book, Owen.  A bit of a dense read but an interesting breakdown.  It’s US focused but I bet a lot applies to the UK as well.

Do you believe any of this. If so, I you should leave Duke and start teaching at a local community college..

Equal society..HA

#hypocritical liberal lie’r
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Do you believe any of this. If so, I you should leave Duke and start teaching at a local community college..

Equal society..HA

I would suggest that you maybe read the book before assuming that you understand its implications, but that would be a waste of time.
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

I would suggest that you maybe read the book before assuming that you understand its implications, but that would be a waste of time.
    Nah, that’s ok...you read this garbage...I’ll read 10Ks
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

Did one of those tell you heart disease is contagious?  
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

No but one did tell me you probably will be getting up and going to work long after I decide not to...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

No but one did tell me you probably will be getting up and going to work long after I decide not to...
    You’ve got me there.  Many of my colleagues do work well into their 70’s and even 80’s.  Such a shame they don’t make enough money and have to keep working like dogs even in their later years just to put food on the table.
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

You’ve got me there.  Many of my colleagues do work well into their 70’s and even 80’s.  Such a shame they don’t make enough money and have to keep working like dogs even in their later years just to put food on the table.
    It’s does take some time to convince, doesn’t it..

too bad for y’all there are still a large number of people who figure stuff out quicker...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

too bad for y’all there are still a large number of people who figure stuff out quicker...
    Yes, university faculty do tend to be some of the slowest people walking the Earth.  If only someone had explained to Albert Einstein the virtues of ETrade.
  • billt01
    edited March 2021
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

Yes, university faculty do tend to be some of the slowest people walking the Earth.  If only someone had explained to Albert Einstein the virtues of ETrade.
    ETrade, good one..LOL

yeah, I guess there will always be people worried about solving for the speed of light, while others don’t blink an eye about giving 50 billion dollars to their ex wife

Albert or Jeff..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

ETrade, good one..LOL

yeah, I guess there will always be people worried about solving for the speed of light, while others don’t blink an eye about giving 50 billion dollars to their ex wife

Albert or Jeff..

You’re so close to figuring it out.  Almost there. Just a little bit more... 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

I don’t understand earlier in the thread you said everyone is delt the same **** hand in life.  Now you are laughing at equal society.  So which is it?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

This from the guy who thinks all those checks are going for COVID relief. All SS recipients. All govt workers at all levels. Most “essential” workers. Their dependents  Etc. Etc Etc.  All of whom are likely totally insulated from any damage.

It was one thing in the beginning to send out blanket checks, because it was a rapid lockdown crisis. We now have had time to properly do a better job of targeting it towards those in real need. I would be for serious increases for those persons in actual need. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t support that idea,This is hot garbage and not much help but a token welfare giveaway that provides very little long term help to those in need and fosters a disincentive to return to work if able. There are nearly 7 M open jobs that aren’t filled due in large part to disincentive policies. It will likely stimulate commerce in the short term because the vast majority of these checks is expendable cash for people who didn’t need it. They will spend most of it and the retail giants will reap the benefits, mostly. 

Yep listen to this guy, he’s got a PHD!. 

Glass houses dude. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    One more thing I’ve heard a lot recently, “the numbers don’t lie”. Wrong! Demonstrably wrong! Math doesn’t lie, but numbers lie a lot. They especially lie when Government or politics is concerned. Ridiculous statement made by hacks and believed by millions of non critical thinking lemmings. Ok, back to vacation. Cheers!
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited March 2021
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

This from the guy who thinks all those checks are going for COVID relief. 
    I never suggested that, but somehow I'm not surprised that you still don't know how to read. 

I suppose I should be flattered (or maybe a little disturbed) that you elected to step away from vacation to take a pot-shot at me here, only to expose yourself as a moron, but that's par for the course I guess.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Botch said:
    stv8r said:
    Botch said:
    Where do YOU get your news, @stv8r?
    Can you quote a news source to verify ANYTHING you said above?
    And how do YOU know it's accurate?

Looking forward to your answer.  
    Kevin McCarthy Minority Speaker of the House
    One of the guys who voted that trump did not plan and order the Insurrection, on Jan 6th?  
    Gotcha.  Have a good evening, sir.  
    That is correct.  If you decide to pull your head out of the sand and really look into it you would see that there were warnings provided to the Capitol police a day ahead and requests for National Guard which were denied.  Also the few misguided people who breached the Capitol (including several Antifa instigators) were peaceful. ALL reputable reports say the Capitol breach was planned days in advance and already underway BEFORE Trump ever started this speech.  Seriously though let's not forget how much BS this really was.  AOC claimed she was hiding in her bathroom from the "uprising...don't forget that's what we call rioters now thanks to the Dems). She was in a completely different building football fields away.  The only person calling for her was a police officer.  The majority of people in the Capitol were staying in the rope barriers taking selfies.  NOT A SINGLE GUN WAS CONFISCATED FROM THIS SUPPOSED ARMED INSURRECTION.  Contrast that with the Portland riots (yes RIOTS) from as recently as last night where rioters were trying to burn down the Federal Courthouse and murder anyone in it.....Really it's not even a discussion. Get those National Guard troops where they are really needed!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Botch said:
    stv8r said:
    Botch said:
    Where do YOU get your news, @stv8r?
    Can you quote a news source to verify ANYTHING you said above?
    And how do YOU know it's accurate?

Looking forward to your answer.  
    Kevin McCarthy Minority Speaker of the House
    One of the guys who voted that trump did not plan and order the Insurrection, on Jan 6th?  
    Gotcha.  Have a good evening, sir.  
    That is correct.  If you decide to pull your head out of the sand and really look into it you would see that there were warnings provided to the Capitol police a day ahead and requests for National Guard which were denied.  Also the few misguided people who breached the Capitol (including several Antifa instigators) were peaceful. ALL reputable reports say the Capitol breach was planned days in advance and already underway BEFORE Trump ever started this speech.  Seriously though let's not forget how much BS this really was.  AOC claimed she was hiding in her bathroom from the "uprising...don't forget that's what we call rioters now thanks to the Dems). She was in a completely different building football fields away.  The only person calling for her was a police officer.  The majority of people in the Capitol were staying in the rope barriers taking selfies.  NOT A SINGLE GUN WAS CONFISCATED FROM THIS SUPPOSED ARMED INSURRECTION.  Contrast that with the Portland riots (yes RIOTS) from as recently as last night where rioters were trying to burn down the Federal Courthouse and murder anyone in it.....Really it's not even a discussion. Get those National Guard troops where they are really needed!!!
    I suppose you also believe the election was stolen from the Trumpy Bear.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• pgprescott
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Hustle = success
    No hustle, no success..

#live_on_passive_income

Equal society..HA

This from the guy who thinks all those checks are going for COVID relief. 
    I never suggested that, but somehow I'm not surprised that you still don't know how to read. 

I suppose I should be flattered (or maybe a little disturbed) that you elected to step away from vacation to take a pot-shot at me here, only to expose yourself as a moron, but that's par for the course I guess.
    Liar! You quoted the dollars and admonished someone for suggesting it was only 9% of the bill. 

You as always a fail to see the forest for the trees. What a loser.