Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dow Jones 32k!

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I quit drinking 7 months ago, trying to avoid beer analogies if possible, sorry.
    Way to make this about you. Narcissist.
    Right, I don't want to be that guy. 

So I watched it.  Couldn't take more than a few minutes of it before I started fast forwarding.  And it did help explain why people are so uninformed/misinformed about public policy. 

...(skipped to the end) something like "go to europe where the people are friendlier" (inferring beers are cheaper/taxes more "fair").  ummmm ok. 

Yes, the idea that increasing taxes on wealthy Americans might drive them to move to Europe is, well... interesting.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - I get the comments regarding the beer youtube, but I fail to see where the end game is flawed as questioned above.  Seems to me how it works-right or wrong but I am in fly over country, so there's that.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited March 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I get the comments regarding the beer youtube, but I fail to see where the end game is flawed as questioned above.  Seems to me how it works-right or wrong but I am in fly over country, so there's that.   B)
    Any time someone puts forward a relatively simple story like guys paying for beer in a bar to explain a fairly complex system (like US taxes), you should question it.  Certainly these kind of things can shed insight into how these things work, and there is a lot of value in simplifying something down to its core elements, but there’s a clear agenda behind that story.  Its goal is not to help people understand the US tax code, but rather to signal that very wealthy people in the US already pay more than their fair share of taxes and that when there’s a cut OF COURSE they benefit more and that’s only fair too and under no circumstances should we ever entertain raising their taxes.  I’m being a little hyperbolic but that is the clear agenda.

Anyway... if you want to understand what’s actually wrong with the beer as taxes parable, there are many people who’ve explained it better than I can.  Here’s a Forbes (that bastion of liberalism!) piece from a few years ago, for example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2017/10/31/beer-is-not-a-metaphor-for-tax-fairness/?sh=52c6582756d3

Enjoy.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks as I did read that. I'm not smart enough to attempt a conversation on the pros and cons of the tax system.  Perhaps I can gain enlightenment on the Friday Zoom/speakeasy.  However, many will likely not be drinking beer so there's that challenge.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    But....high top tax rates would destroy us, right?  Well, the top marginal rate as late as 1957 was 90%.  The post WWII boom of idyllic leave-it-to beaver middle class life coexisted with high top marginal tax rates. 
    Top tax rates and growth
    You give a millionaire a thousand bucks and he hardly notices it.  You give it to someone making 20k a year and that money goes right back into the economy.

I'm not even going to get into why there isn't a fair playing field...no real competitive capitalism.  Unchecked, monopolies form and they funnel money up to the top.  Everyone here's played Monopoly, right? 

Nothing new here.  What do economists know?  Well, most average people are convinced (for some reason, I can't figure this out) that they don't know jack sh!t.  Could it be.....they actually do know what they're talking about?  Then why are just the fringe economists the ones who believe the "trickle-down" economics theories are effective?  That's one of the biggest scams pulled off on the American people.  Dis-proven through history.  What kills me is the vast majority of people who buy it live diminished lifestyles.  They are convinced to vote against their best interests. 

People here are generally unhappy here because of it.  But that's the price of ignorance.  But they'll buy some simplistic beer analogy because our educational system sucks.

Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks as I did read that. I'm not smart enough to attempt a conversation on the pros and cons of the tax system.  Perhaps I can gain enlightenment on the Friday Zoom/speakeasy.  However, many will likely not be drinking beer so there's that challenge.   B)
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:
    Any time someone puts forward a relatively simple story like guys paying for beer in a bar to explain a fairly complex system (like US taxes), you should question it.  Certainly these kind of things can shed insight into how these things work, and there is a lot of value in simplifying something down to its core elements, but there’s a clear agenda behind that story.  Its goal is not to help people understand the US tax code, but rather to signal that very wealthy people in the US already pay more than their fair share of taxes and that when there’s a cut OF COURSE they benefit more and that’s only fair too and under no circumstances should we ever entertain raising their taxes.  I’m being a little hyperbolic but that is the clear agenda.

Anyway... if you want to understand what’s actually wrong with the beer as taxes parable, there are many people who’ve explained it better than I can.  Here’s a Forbes (that bastion of liberalism!) piece from a few years ago, for example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2017/10/31/beer-is-not-a-metaphor-for-tax-fairness/?sh=52c6582756d3

Enjoy.
    lousubcap said:

Enjoy.
    lousubcap said:

Enjoy.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Ha!  You’re plenty smart Cap, you just know to avoid the third rail.  Anyway, see you tomorrow night at the SpeakEasy.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Massive inequality is the problem.
    Taxes are just one tool to use to help address that problem.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    The president doesn't control the stock market.  Unless he prints a couple trillion dollars like Trump did with the tax cuts for the rich...

I bet @littlerascal56 is happy!

Seriously?  91% of Brain dead Joe's Covid relief plan is liberal pork. The country thrived under Trump whether you want to believe it or not. Liking those gas prices since Biden took office?  Oh and how about about all the poor souls he cost their jobs with a stroke of a pen?  No longer are we energy independent for the first time in our country's history. Oh wait....let's talk about giving prison inmates $1400 in Covid relief?   WTF???  Also why give $1400 a week to Federal employees who currently still are paid in full????   Who will pay for all this bullish*t.  Your kids and mine. Hope you sleep good at night. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    stv8r said:
    The president doesn't control the stock market.  Unless he prints a couple trillion dollars like Trump did with the tax cuts for the rich...

Seriously?  91% of Brain dead Joe's Covid relief plan is liberal pork. The country thrived under Trump whether you want to believe it or not. Liking those gas prices since Biden took office?  Oh and how about about all the poor souls he cost their jobs with a stroke of a pen?  No longer are we energy independent for the first time in our country's history. Oh wait....let's talk about giving prison inmates $1400 in Covid relief?   WTF???  Also why give $1400 a week to Federal employees who currently still are paid in full????   Who will pay for all this bullish*t.  Your kids and mine. Hope you sleep good at night. 
    So you’re saying only 9% of the funds are going to the people?  Can I ask you where you got that figure from, exactly?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited March 2021
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
    Nothing new here.  What do economists know?  Well, most average people are convinced (for some reason, I can't figure this out) that they don't know jack sh!t.  Could it be.....they actually do know what they're talking about?  Then why are just the fringe economists the ones who believe the "trickle-down" economics theories are effective?  That's one of the biggest scams pulled off on the American people.  Dis-proven through history.  What kills me is the vast majority of people who buy it live diminished lifestyles.  They are convinced to vote against their best interests.  

Bingo.  And to answer your question, its because many poorer republicans' chosen source(s) of news convince them the rich are on their side.  
    The billionaires figured this out pretty quickly; if you can convince folks that "the deep state", or "libruls", or hollywood, or people of color are against them, you can get away with funneling the massive wealth being generated by economies to the top.  There's a reason Rupert Murdoch founded Faux News, and there's a reason limbaugh got the (now-meaningless) congressional medal of freedom from trump.  There's a reason trump kept repeating "fake news" over and over and over and over.  
    It's looking like the next battle, for the next election, will be between (a) are Biden's policies/achievements making enough of a good difference to those "people of diminished lifestyles", to wake them up, versus (b) will republican legislatures, at the state level, succeed in restricting voting rights enough (voter purges, ID requirements, eliminating polling sites and vote-by-mail, etc (the REAL cancel culture)), to outvote those who figure it out?  
    There will be another flashpoint between now and the next election: the trial outcome of Derek Chauvin.  The conviction rate of truly corrupt, racist cops in the past is not encouraging, and if he's let go every downtown in the US will burn (and I couldn't blame the perpetrators) which will give the trumparmy reason to begin the War Between The Races, which apparently is the goal of several of those groups (and they'll bring their guns, not just "Blue Lives Matter" flagpoles, this time).  

A final point of interest: anyone else remember, in January 2020, the Australian authorities catching 22 muslims who were setting all the wildfires that were burning up the Continent?  And do you remember seeing their faces, and what countries they were from?  No, you don't, because it was all a hoax between "conservative" australian politicians, the aussie coal industry, and the australian news media, 80% of which is owned by (wait for it), rupert murdoch. Apparently most billionaires don't care that much about their grandchildren; it's just the money...  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stv8r
    Options
    stv8r said:

So you’re saying only 9% of the funds are going to the people?  Can I ask you where you got that figure from, exactly?
    Pretty much every single Conservative Congressman and Senator.  Additionally all actual news networks that care to report facts and not propaganda. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:

Pretty much every single Conservative Congressman and Senator.  Additionally all actual news networks that care to report facts and not propaganda. 

Well that’s bulletproof, isn’t it?  Do you have a link to back any of it up?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:

You mean like this guy?
    https://youtu.be/6_nFI2Zb7qE
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Always helpful to remember that a lie can travel halfway around the globe before the truth has had a chance to put on its shoes.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I am intrigued by all of this to the point where you can bring your discussion points and other background material polished up to dance around the third rail at the Speakeasy.  Third rail avoidance while making the case- no problem. 

Just looking for bait for Friday!  Be there, Aloha!  
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Always helpful to remember that a lie can travel halfway around the globe before the truth has had a chance to put on its shoes.
    Do you have a link to back that up?  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Options
    stv8r said:
    JohnInCarolina said:

@stv8r, this is the only breakdown I've seen of the bill so far:

I openly admit I saw this on facebook, and I hesitate to post it anywhere as I can't read the "Source" info at the bottom-left of the graphic (that means things, see my above post).  The $45B purple wedge at the 1:00 position, "Other", is most likely pork.  And senator graham went white-knuckled, drool running down his chin, and blood spurting out of his whatever, at the blue wedge at the 1:30 or so position, "Farmers, small businesses, etc", screaming "Reparations!!!" so that could be a part of it too.

And, please don't every say "every single Conservative Congressman and Senator" again, call them what they are, republicans.  Republican, and Conservative, meant the same thing when I signed up as a republican in 1978.  The terms are no longer synonymous; republicans are now the Party of the Oligarchs, and have very little to do with "conservatism".  

• tomtnc
    tomtnc Posts: 24
    Options
    stv8r said:

Ways & Means$923 billion
    Provide $1,400-per-person stimulus checks $422 billion
    Extend unemployment programs through August 29 with a $400/week supplement $246 billion
    Expand Child Tax Credit, Child Care Tax Credit, and Earned Income Tax Credit mostly for one year$143 billion
    Provide grants to multi-employer pension plans and change single-employer pension funding rules$58 billion
    Temporarily expand ACA subsidies for two years and subsidize 2020 and 2021 coverage$45 billion
    Extend paid sick leave and employee retention credit$14 billion
    Subsidize COBRA coverage for laid-off workers*$8 billion
    Repeal rule allowing multinational corporations to calculate their interest expenses including foreign subsidiaries-$22 billion
    Other policies$9 billion

Oversight & Reform$350 billion
    Provide money to state governments$195 billion
    Provide money to local governments, territories, and tribes$155 billion
    Create paid COVID leave for federal workers and other policies$0.4 billion

Education & Labor$290 billion
    Provide funding for K-12 education$129 billion
    Provide funding for colleges and universities$40 billion
    Increase the federal minimum wage to $15/hour by 2025$54 billion
    Provide support for child care, grants to child care providers, and Head Start$40 billion
    Subsidize COBRA coverage for laid-off workers*$10 billion
    Extend nutrition assistance in place of school lunch for the duration of the emergency and other food assistance$7 billion
    Human services, labor programs, and other policies*$11 billion

Energy & Commerce$122 billion
    Increase funding for testing and contract tracing$50 billion
    Increase public health workforce and investments$19 billion
    Fund vaccine distribution, confidence, and supply chains$16 billion
    Increase Medicaid payments to states that newly expand Medicaid under the ACA$16 billion
    Allow states to expand Medicaid coverage for prisoners close to release and for pregnant and postpartum women for 5 years$9 billion
    Remove the cap limiting how much drug manufacturers must rebate to Medicaid for drugs that have increased quickly in price-$18 billion
    Other policies*$31 billion

Transportation & Infrastructure$90 billion
    Increase funding for the Disaster Relief Fund and cover funeral expenses related to COVID$47 billion
    Provide grants to transit agencies $28 billion
    Provide grants to airports and aviation manufacturers$11 billion
    Provide grants to communities under economic stress$3 billion
    Grants to Amtrak and other transportation-related spending$2 billion

Financial Services$71 billion
    Provide emergency rental assistance and assist homeless$30 billion
    Provide grants to airlines and contractors to freeze airline layoffs through September$12 billion
    Use Defense Production Act to buy and distribute medical supplies$10 billion
    Provide mortgage payment assistance$10 billion
    Reauthorize and fund the State Small Business Credit Initiative$9 billion

Small Business$50 billion
    Provide grants to restaurants and bars that lost revenue due to the pandemic$25 billion
    Provide additional EIDL Advance grants of up to $10,000 per business$15 billion
    Allow more PPP loans and expand eligibility to certain non-profit and digital media companies$7 billion
    Other policies$3 billion

Veterans’ Affairs$17 billion
    Provide funding for health care services, facilities, and copays for veterans$16 billion
    Fund job training assistance programs for veterans and other VA administrative costs$1 billion

Agriculture$16 billion
    Increase nutrition assistance$6 billion
    Pay off loans and other programs for socially disadvantaged farmers$5 billion
    Purchase and distribute food to needy individuals$4 billion
    Testing and monitoring for COVID in rural communities and among animal populations$1 billion

Foreign Affairs (no legislation reported yet)$10 billion

Natural Resources (no legislation reported yet)$1 billion

Science, Space, & Technology (no legislation reported yet)$1 billion

Total*$1.927 trillion

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    With anything like this, simply googling "9% fact check" is always a good idea.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tomtnc said:
    stv8r said:

Ways & Means$923 billion
    Provide $1,400-per-person stimulus checks $422 billion

Total*$1.927 trillion

So I'm not going to quote the rest, and I'm no math professor, but even if you just consider the stimulus checks and ignore all of the rest, $420B out of $1.9T is a quite a bit more than 9%.  All by itself.  

So... where did the 9% number come from?  Did someone just... make it up?  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:

You mean like this Republican Senator:

Touts and supports the stuff he likes/wanted in the bill but voted against the whole bill cuz:

"The senator told reporters when asked about his vote against the bill, “One good provision in a $1.9. trillion bill doesn't mean I have to vote for the whole thing.”

So basically Republican stuff is good all the rest is pork/wasteful spending right?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:

You mean like this Republican Senator:

Touts and supports the stuff he likes/wanted in the bill but voted against the whole bill 

• stv8r
    Options
    Never trust Google lol. Or Facebook and Twitter. So much disinformation in this thread it really pains me to see.  "State and local Aid" 350 Billion. How about calling it what it really is?  Bailout for Blue states who mismanaged their finances and want the rest of the country to pay for it. 

Federal workers ( and no one else) $1400 a week in benefits if you watch your child (who should be in school) to the tune of over $40,000 a year EVEN FOR THOSE STILL GETTING FULL PAY. 

Felons in jail getting $1400 stimulus checks??   Seriously?  How do you justify that?  

Let's be honest, Biden can't even remember his name much less run the country. We are on the fast track to be just like Venezuala .  Socialism never works no matter how you package it up. Think this $1400 per some people will help?  Let's see what inflation is coming down the road to pay for it.  Gas prices are on the tip of the iceberg. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    I personally wouldn’t mind paying more taxes if it wasn’t all pissed away. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Never trust Google lol. Or Facebook and Twitter. So much disinformation in this thread it really pains me to see.  "State and local Aid" 350 Billion. How about calling it what it really is?  Bailout for Blue states who mismanaged their finances and want the rest of the country to pay for it. 

Federal workers ( and no one else) $1400 a week in benefits if you watch your child (who should be in school) to the tune of over $40,000 a year EVEN FOR THOSE STILL GETTING FULL PAY. 

Felons in jail getting $1400 stimulus checks??   Seriously?  How do you justify that?  

Let's be honest, Biden can't even remember his name much less run the country. We are on the fast track to be just like Venezuala .  Socialism never works no matter how you package it up. Think this $1400 per some people will help?  Let's see what inflation is coming down the road to pay for it.  Gas prices are on the tip of the iceberg. 
    Where do YOU get your news, @stv8r?
    Can you quote a news source to verify ANYTHING you said above?
    And how do YOU know it's accurate?

Looking forward to your answer.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    stv8r said:

Yes, you are right.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Well I finally read this post. Don’t really have any comments. All of the opinions are set in stone anyway. Well just one, if we could get the idiots to all be vaccinated 2/3s of this wouldn’t be necessary. 
  • Botch
    edited March 2021
    Options
    All of the opinions are set in stone anyway. 
    No, they are not.  That's why I'm always asking for sources, and verifications.  And why I have switched my thinking on many things.  I'm open to learning.  But I don't get fed much.   :|

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a bottle of reserve select from 4 Roses I was gifted. I shall make an appearance at this event Friday evening.

I plan to be in fine form, LEO for sure, adding escape velocity by the time this discussion should lose all credibility.

All y’all have been warned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky