Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Presentation is everything - Tomahawk

jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
Presentation is everything.

Tomahawk done right
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    pretty amazing music to go with
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Hmmm.  I have to figure out how to incorporate some of those techniques into my cooking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great money shot right there.  Thanks for sharing.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    First time I have seen a tomahawk with meat left on the bone.

the instagram-ready tomahawks with a frenched bone just make no sense. What the h*ll does 18” of rib bone do hanging out in space? (No, it doesn’t add flavor

but this one, with the rib meat left on, might be the best part of the steak

good stuff 
  • jdMyers
    Its that time of year, its just that season is here.  Be fat, be mary, eat steak
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Tomahawk is the best. Only thing that tops that, is Tomahawk and Lobster together!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    PigBeanUs said:

the instagram-ready tomahawks with a frenched bone just make no sense. What the h*ll does 18” of rib bone do hanging out in space? (No, it doesn’t add flavor

good stuff 
    Bare bone is a handle.  Real men eat it like a turkey leg.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    PigBeanUs said:

good stuff 

• jdMyers
    Tomahawk is the best. Only thing that tops that, is Tomahawk and Lobster together!
    Which brings up a great point.  Todays cook, tomahawk with rib meat, and with 2.75 lb lobster tail
    Columbus, Ohio
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    jdMyers said:

Bigger plates needed.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PigBeanUs said:

good stuff 

No matter what you think of the guy, I know that you’re better than this, John. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    PigBeanUs said:

good stuff 

No matter what you think of the guy, I know that you’re better than this, John. 
    That is about me torturing @Ozzie_Issac, not BGC.  
  • PigBeanUs
    I thought he meant you had better bewbs? No?
  • JohnInCarolina
    PigBeanUs said:
    I thought he meant you had better bewbs? No?
    lol, possibly 
  • @JohnInCarolina: My comment was about the very posting of content irrespective of motivations for doing so. Intentions aside, I’m pretty sure it’s possible to recognize that someone is quite thoroughly victimized here. Don’t know the guy and have never interacted with him, but I can’t imagine what he must have done to receive this - unless maybe he’s in on the joke, in which case my comments are misguided. Anyways, I’ll return to my lane.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That's quite the wow cook! Can't decide which pic is my favorite.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    @JohnInCarolina: My comment was about the very posting of content irrespective of motivations for doing so. Intentions aside, I’m pretty sure it’s possible to recognize that someone is quite thoroughly victimized here. Don’t know the guy and have never interacted with him, but I can’t imagine what he must have done to receive this - unless maybe he’s in on the joke, in which case my comments are misguided. Anyways, I’ll return to my lane.  
    You are right, I really shouldn’t have posted it.  Thanks.  
  • @JohnInCarolina. I was really quite sincere when I said that you were better than that. 

I largely and deliberately interact on this forum in an anonymous fashion. This is one of the reasons I haven’t logged onto the Zoom sessions, don’t post identifiable pictures of myself and my family on the forum and don’t use my name. Not because I’m afraid of bullies - I’ve dealt with plenty in my time - but because being anonymous lets me sidestep this issue altogether and lets me interact with others absent tangible judgement. You never know how the info you put into the public sphere is to be used. This being said, despite being relatively anonymous, I try to strive for conduct as though I was fully identifiable at all times, just to try to keep myself in check. Hopefully I meet this target most of the time. We all say and do things we later regret. Seems to me that many members that have been willing to make themselves identifiable and put their pics and info out there ultimately become the subject of great ridicule here. At least this has been the case for RRP, Lit and BGC, to name just a few. And I find that’s really too bad. 
  • jdMyers
    Did anyone like the tomahawk video, you know at the beginning of the thread?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers said:
    What tomahawk video? 🙃
  • PigBeanUs
    jdMyers said:
    Did you read any of the posts that said, you know, like, positive things?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    jdMyers said:
    I liked your presentation more. The video is trying too hard to be like Nusret.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    jdMyers said:

For me, these shots right here are more impressive than the video.  
  • jdMyers
    Thats fair.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited March 2021
    Video was very cool and I really liked the presentation.  The one item I would have omitted was flambeau in Brandy.  Indo not like the flavor that imparts.  The rest was spot on.

Steakhouses generally underwhelm me.  However, as has been pointed out by others, they can make up for it in presentation, ambiance, and the experience.  This video nailed all those.  Thank you for sharing.

P.S. I really liked the tomahawk axe setup to display and cut.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS