Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Detroit style pizza

Options

Comments

• sdiperna
    sdiperna Posts: 26
    Options
    Man ya’ll are making me order pans! Good looking grub
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    Options
    sdiperna said:
    Man ya’ll are making me order pans! Good looking grub
    Order early and often 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation on a pan? I had planned on using our metal lasagna pan for our pizza tonight but it is MIA at the moment, so we will see how it goes. I had looked at the Lloyds pan on amazon, other suggestions?
    LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation on a pan? I had planned on using our metal lasagna pan for our pizza tonight but it is MIA at the moment, so we will see how it goes. I had looked at the Lloyds pan on amazon, other suggestions?
    https://detroitstylepizza.com/products/10-x-14-steel-dsp-pan

The Lloyds seem to get a lot of great reviews also. Don’t think you can go wrong with either. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,951
    Options
    i would just make it round in my paella pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    i would just make it round in my paella pan
    I have considered stuffing one in a dried beef rectum.  But I don’t think the crust would get crisp. 

Status- Standing by.

• TideEggHead
    Options

The Lloyds seem to get a lot of great reviews also. Don’t think you can go wrong with either. 
    Thanks @SGH I’ll give those a look!
    LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    Options

Thanks @SGH I’ll give those a look!
    👍

Status- Standing by.

• TideEggHead
    Options
    I guess it’s not a true Detroit pie without the the correct pan but this tasted 💯. I’ve never tried the Detroit style before and I love the caramelized cheesy crust! This hit the spot. I’ll order a pan soon. Thank y’all for posting, this was a great style of pizza to try.

LBGE
    AL
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 846
    Options
    @TideEggHead I just did mine in a regular steel 9x13 steel pan. Results were good enough I don’t think I can justify a specialized pan.
  • SGH
    Options
    I don’t think I can justify a specialized pan.
    If you look around you can find DS pans for under 20 bucks. The ingredients to make the pizza costs that or more. 

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I bought a $6 pan from Home Goods. 
    NOLA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @TideEggHead that looks great. I've done pizzas in a cast iron pan before, nothing wrong with that. I think one of the things that really sets Detroit pizza apart from others is the sauce on the top and that really "bready" crust that gets fried on the bottom from the oil in whatever pan you choose to use.

BTW, I got the Lloyd's pan from Amazon. I think it's worth it and its not like you can't use it to cook other things in. Just don't tell my wife what I spent on it. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Bought the smaller pans to fit the roccbox and had excellent results. I've tried many cheeses on the edge and so far bagged mozzarella has turned out the best for the edge. Would like to hear other opinions. 

South Buffalo, New York
  • SGH
    Options
    Bought the smaller pans to fit the roccbox and had excellent results. I've tried many cheeses on the edge and so far bagged mozzarella has turned out the best for the edge. Would like to hear other opinions. 

Monterrey Jack does great around the edges also 👍

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Glad to hear that you are coming over to the Detroit style brother moose 👍

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE
    From what I have read most traditionalist use mozzarella and Wisconsin brick cheese. I haven’t laid my hands on any of the Wisconsin yet. But intend on trying it for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE
    I just watched a video and the fellow recommended using aged white cheddar around the edges. Haven’t tried it yet myself but definitely going to.  

Status- Standing by.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I haven't tried brick cheese yet. Can't find it in the DFW area.

I've been doing a 50/50 mix of low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese (I would like to use whole milk mozzarella cheese, but I can't seem to find that either. The one time I did, it was in cheese stick form. That was a great pie)and Monterrey Jack.

I always buy it in a block and shred it myself as pre-shredded cheese has things added to it like "Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium Sulfate, Natamycin [Mold Inhibitor]" which I find can give it a weird texture and messes with the way it melts.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,695
    Options
    For brick cheese, we’ve ordered online from Amazon, they get you for the cold shipping so we ordered 5lbs at a time.  My wife found another online source that seems to be cheaper, I’ll see if I can get the name and post it.  We cube the cheese 1/2 - 3/4”, that’s what I’ve read and it works well with the longer cook time vs shredding.  I also have a friend that has had good success doing a 2 min prebake of the crust in his roccbox.  That’s next on my list.

one more thing - take the pizza out of the pan before you cut it - also have a friend that ruined a pan right out of the gate doing that.
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,230
    Options
    I just ordered a Detroit style pizza pan to make one in the Roccbox.  I couldn't take it any more.  You guys were driving me crazy with this thread, lol.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,695
    Options
    Get a set of these, I rotate the pan just with welding gloves, but for the walk into the house I use these.  Cheap and very effective.

Not a felon
  • SGH
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I just ordered a Detroit style pizza pan to make one in the Roccbox.
    Standing by for the finale. 

I couldn't take it any more.  You guys were driving me crazy with this thread, lol.  
    Glad to see you getting onboard 👍

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I guess it’s not a true Detroit pie without the the correct pan but this tasted 💯. I’ve never tried the Detroit style before and I love the caramelized cheesy crust! This hit the spot. I’ll order a pan soon. Thank y’all for posting, this was a great style of pizza to try.

It looks like a winner to me brother 👍

Status- Standing by.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,451
    Options
    Damn, I grew up in Detroit and never ever heard of Detroit Style Pizza, I even worked in a Mom & Pop takeout Pizzeria when I was a teenager and never heard of Detroit Style Pizza.  Must be something new to keep up with Chicago, (i.e. keeping up with the Joneses...)
    Well, wouldn't you just order "pizza" in Detroit?  Doesn't the style go without saying?  Like in France, you just order fries and not French fries, right?  :smile:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Not sure if it is any good, but I was in Costco today and they had a 2 pack of frozen Detroit style pizza. The girl who cashed me out said it was awesome. Will let you know Monday. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Brick Cheese here is 7.99 a pound at most places. Restaurant depot 2.66 a pound but give or take 5 pound blocks. Certainly worth it to buy and vacuum seal it. Last year when I searched couldn't even find it. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    Not sure if it is any good, but I was in Costco today and they had a 2 pack of frozen Detroit style pizza. The girl who cashed me out said it was awesome. Will let you know Monday. 
    It’s pretty solid for frozen pizza, but it’s still frozen pizza. Not a real good version of Detroit style.

It’s pizza though, which is always a good thing. 

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,758
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    It’s pretty solid for frozen pizza, but it’s still frozen pizza. Not a real good version of Detroit style.

It’s pizza though, which is always a good thing. 

The Costco Detroit style is the only frozen pizza we tolerate. It's pretty good.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    Options
    The Costco Detroit style is the only frozen pizza we tolerate. It's pretty good.
    Is this it?

Status- Standing by.