Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not looking like any Egging happening today in Austin

Options
We are frozen in solid, and rolling blackouts. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Stay safe everyone
    We get our fair share of ice storms. I'll take the impending snowstorm any day!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,613
    Options
    Load ‘er up and light it. I have several friends in Austin w/out power and roads closed.  You may need to use that to cook on.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

🤧
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Heres my egg- 4" of drift between door and there.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    My egg was almost frozen shut last night for the first time. It’s 3 degrees right now. That’s pretty cold for central Texas. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    about 5" of snow and I don't have water.

Wine? Check.
    Bourbon? Check.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    dmchicago said:

I may have an issue at one hose bib, havent looked at other two.
    I know my line to my Fridge is frozen- all else ok so far.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    CPARKTX2 said:
    We are frozen in solid, and rolling blackouts. 

That's what we up here refer to as "May".
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Mark_B_Good I don’t know how y’all handle that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmchicago
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    dmchicago said:

Wine? Check.
    Bourbon? Check.

It's really unfortunate that you have to revert back to wiping your asz
    True. Just finished up. 

Melting snow to keep the flushing going!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Much worse in Texas than here.  As @ColtsFan said, snow over ice any day. A challenge of living where the winter temperatures spend a good deal of time in the 28-34*F range making for the ice mix. 
    At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you have a faucet cracked open to preclude water lines from rupturing or you are periodically flowing water (if you still have it).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    5 degrees up here.  I highly recommend playing Bob Marley while you're outside.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    -30F here this a.m. It sucks, apparently this cold snap is over this week. Pretty much just stuck inside or in the garage getting stuff ready for spring
  • dmchicago
    Options

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You can’t let a little snow stop you.  I defrosted mine yesterday using the Eggniter, but it was well worth it.  

Edit: several more inches today making the SBGE look like a cone head:

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I get a kick out of those with only one cone per egg. =) This was several years ago, but never gets old.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    Or, the perfect time to cook on the egg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,744
    Options
    cant imagine what to do when its cold and theres no ice and the windmills are all frozen

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    I get a kick out of those with only one cone per egg. =) This was several years ago, but never gets old.

Haha Conehead Egg!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Seems like a perfect time to fire the egg up to me. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    We just got out of a two week polar vortex where I live in Canada. Temperatures ranged -25 to -35F then with wind chill down to -50 to -60F. The egg  did hold temperature no problem haha. The biggest problem is I can't take my beer outside because it freezes within minutes haha
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That is a problem.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    We just got out of a two week polar vortex where I live in Canada. Temperatures ranged -25 to -35F then with wind chill down to -50 to -60F. The egg  did hold temperature no problem haha. The biggest problem is I can't take my beer outside because it freezes within minutes haha

ive tried warming them up on a heater and they still freeze in your hand within minutes at those temps
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Drink faster  =)  But those are da-n cold temperatures regardless.  Be careful outside in that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Drink faster 
    Spoken like a true leader. That’s why you were in charge. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Drink faster  =)  But those are da-n cold temperatures regardless.  Be careful outside in that.  

if your drinking a guinness in a guinness glass you have to tap the inverted glass upsidedown to get that last bit of guinness snow cone. beware that guinness slush up your nose is not a good thing at those temps. you really need to get it out of the can asap
    fukahwee maine

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    my beer froze the other night while egging.  top turned into conway's irish ale slushy.  biggest problem has been the bottom vents get frozen shut when ice collects in there.... and that's a small problem compared to what you guys down in TX have been dealing with!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    At those temps, why would anyone want a cold beer?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut