Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Chili, Two Ways

This is kind of a long story, but I'll be smoking a brisket tonight for the sole purpose of making a couple of batches of chili tomorrow.  Sacrilege, I know, but... let me explain.  

A bunch of us have been volunteering to make meals for an area family in need.  The parents have a daughter who is in school with our youngest, and the mom is quite sick.  She has cancer that's pretty far along, and it unfortunately hasn't been responding to treatments so far.  I think she is by all accounts in good spirits and feeling as well as can be expected under the circumstances, but a bunch of us who know them are pitching in by making meals.  And this weekend brings our turn with us set to deliver a meal for them this coming Tuesday.  It's pretty cold and rainy here and what better to give them than a big batch of brisket chili (we did check first, and no dietary issues here)?  I'm planning on handing a bunch to them in containers that freeze well so that they can stock it away for later as needed.

So I'm going to do a usual batch of the award-winning Salado recipe that just about everyone here uses, because it is for sure a winner.  But for some time now I've wanted to try a different brisket recipe just to have another point of reference, because the Salado one is actually the only one I've ever made.  I found this recipe online and it looks pretty good:

https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-brisket-chili-recipe-and-video/

I mean, it's got the additions of bacon and beer.  Who doesn't like those things?  So I'm going to make two big batches of two different brisket chilis and do a side by side comparison.  As the kids these days say... watch this space.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Good on you for doing this John. I look forward to seeing the results. Kids these days also say.... “You don’t want none of this smoke!” Have you heard that one?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    This is kind of a long story, but I'll be smoking a brisket tonight for the sole purpose of making a couple of batches of chili tomorrow.  Sacrilege, I know, but... let me explain.  

A bunch of us have been volunteering to make meals for an area family in need.  The parents have a daughter who is in school with our youngest, and the mom is quite sick.  She has cancer that's pretty far along, and it unfortunately hasn't been responding to treatments so far.  I think she is by all accounts in good spirits and feeling as well as can be expected under the circumstances, but a bunch of us who know them are pitching in by making meals.  And this weekend brings our turn with us set to deliver a meal for them this coming Tuesday.  It's pretty cold and rainy here and what better to give them than a big batch of brisket chili (we did check first, and no dietary issues here)?  I'm planning on handing a bunch to them in containers that freeze well so that they can stock it away for later as needed.

So I'm going to do a usual batch of the award-winning Salado recipe that just about everyone here uses, because it is for sure a winner.  But for some time now I've wanted to try a different brisket recipe just to have another point of reference, because the Salado one is actually the only one I've ever made.  I found this recipe online and it looks pretty good:

https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-brisket-chili-recipe-and-video/

I mean, it's got the additions of bacon and beer.  Who doesn't like those things?  So I'm going to make two big batches of two different brisket chilis and do a side by side comparison.  As the kids these days say... watch this space.  

I seriously doubt kids these days say this...

Anyway, nice gesture and good luck!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great gesture right there for all who are pitching in.  For that sort of thing there is no doubt that the brisket gods would completely endorse.  
    Looking forward to your review of the second recipe.  
    I have no clue what kids say these days...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    you're a good egg. Despite hating America, and ruining the forum. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    if you're making a shite ton of brisket... brisket spaghetti sauce is pretty damn good, too. Freezes well, and you just need to boil pasta to have a meal. 

But, yeah, its kinda close to chili.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you for sharing the recipe.  I always use Kelley's recipe, however this one sounds like a good one to try.  Also, one of my student's mom is going through the same thing, so thank you for your support of the family!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • vindulge recipe is simmering

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Looks great, I wish I had a pot of chili bubbling on the stove right now.
  • Salado batch coming together:

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The parents have a daughter who is in school with our youngest, and the mom is quite sick.  She has cancer that's pretty far along, and it unfortunately hasn't been responding to treatments so far. 

I know it is only words but I am truly sorry to hear this. I hate to hear it for anyone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The house smells amazing, lol.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    Thanks for sharing the story and the cook.  That's some admirable work you're doing. 

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • The wife and I both sat down tonight for our Valentine's Day dinner.  We each had some of the two brisket chilis and she had the rest of the wine that goes with the Salado recipe (I am dry these days).   We had each one with some cheddar cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream.

One caveat before I issue our review: I cut the heat on the Salado recipe in half, on both the chile powder and the cayenne.  It still has a solid kick to it, but since we planned on gifting most of one of these to the family I mentioned, I wanted to dial back the heat quite a bit.  In the end it's still got more heat than the vindulge recipe, but not by much.  

Our verdict is that it's a toss up.  Not very exciting, I know, but that's the straight truth.   The two recipes are different, but there's plenty in common, and in the end the flavor profile isn't terribly different.  I mean they're both great, and it's hard to beat brisket chili on any day of the week.  But in this particular matchup it was hard to declare one a clear winner over the other.  So it mostly comes down to personal preference.  We thought the corn and green chiles in the vindulge recipe made it a tad bit more interesting, so we'll be gifting a big batch of that to our friends in need. 

Were I to do the vindulge recipe again, I'd probably double the amount of bacon and the green chiles.  The bacon in the end is barely noticeable.  The green chiles are there but a bit more would make it more interesting.  

I'll do this again some day, probably venturing out even further on the brisket chili landscape to try and find something truly different.  In any case, thanks for coming along with me for the ride.  
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    All around a really cool cook! 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    The wife and I both sat down tonight for our Valentine's Day dinner.  We each had some of the two brisket chilis and she had the rest of the wine that goes with the Salado recipe (I am dry these days).   We had each one with some cheddar cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream.

One caveat before I issue our review: I cut the heat on the Salado recipe in half, on both the chile powder and the cayenne.  It still has a solid kick to it, but since we planned on gifting most of one of these to the family I mentioned, I wanted to dial back the heat quite a bit.  In the end it's still got more heat than the vindulge recipe, but not by much.  

Our verdict is that it's a toss up.  Not very exciting, I know, but that's the straight truth.   The two recipes are different, but there's plenty in common, and in the end the flavor profile isn't terribly different.  I mean they're both great, and it's hard to beat brisket chili on any day of the week.  But in this particular matchup it was hard to declare one a clear winner over the other.  So it mostly comes down to personal preference.  We thought the corn and green chiles in the vindulge recipe made it a tad bit more interesting, so we'll be gifting a big batch of that to our friends in need. 

Were I to do the vindulge recipe again, I'd probably double the amount of bacon and the green chiles.  The bacon in the end is barely noticeable.  The green chiles are there but a bit more would make it more interesting.  

I'll do this again some day, probably venturing out even further on the brisket chili landscape to try and find something truly different.  In any case, thanks for coming along with me for the ride.  
    Great thing you’re doing John. Oh, since you’re dry, please feel free to send me your bourbon collection, I’ll be sure to give it a good home. 😀
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    CTMike said:
    The wife and I both sat down tonight for our Valentine's Day dinner.  We each had some of the two brisket chilis and she had the rest of the wine that goes with the Salado recipe (I am dry these days).   We had each one with some cheddar cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream.

Great thing you’re doing John. Oh, since you’re dry, please feel free to send me your bourbon collection, I’ll be sure to give it a good home. 😀
    Last I herd, he was drinkin mini bottles of bourbon before  giving it up. Hardly worth asking for.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • So happy to hear you are still enjoying and sharing our Salado Smoked Brisket Chili recipe!  I really like the interesting ingredients in the Vindulge version. The addition of the corn, to me, almost takes it in the direction of Brunswick Stew, which is always delicious too. I would definitely give that recipe a try myself. Thanks for sharing the idea and recipe. It's ALWAYS fun to try a new twist on chili!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.