Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl Peach Butt

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    shtgunal3 said:
    We did not. We were moving around a lot. We rented a Mustang convertible and hit all of the New England states in a week. We did take in a game at Fenway. That was awesome.
    We went up there for a U2 concert, kind of big fans, and it was a treat. It was an anniversary tour of their debut in the USA, and we were able to get back stage passes and great seats. We hiked the revolutionary tour in the city and went to do a short 90 minute hike to the top of Mt. Greylock, highest point in Massachusetts (3489 feet ASL). Very beautiful view and met some wonderful folks on the way up.

Had to be a cool trip cruising NE states, in a convertible. I think we had a POS Compass we rented that handled like it had been wrecked. Not near as cool as a convertible mustang, for darn sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Pulled from setting in the fridge for most of the day about 10 hours. Looking real good. The crust on this should be delicious with all the flavors and chewable like crispy taffy. One of the simple pleasures of this cook. As odd as it may seem, I really look forward to this as much as I do the pulled pork:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @YukonRon - I am with you in that the cook exercise is an order of magnitude more enjoyable than the eats, which I always aim to nail..
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Going old school like I do for most of my cooks. Dialing in the temp while I let the preserves settle on the pork butt.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • It's just gone taste like a smoked pork butt with jelly on it. No reason for a pork butt to take 18 hours either. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • YukonRon
    You the MAN Wes. Jelly butts are your specialty I suppose. If it don’t go 18, I am fine with that as well. Good night and sleep well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I just got a butt out of the freezer to put on in the morning, with some of the peach chunks I saved from the care package you sent over a while ago. No time for brining (lack of planning .....), but mouth watering already.
  • YukonRon
    Eoin said:
    I just got a butt out of the freezer to put on in the morning, with some of the peach chunks I saved from the care package you sent over a while ago. No time for brining (lack of planning .....), but mouth watering already.
    You know those plates you sent to Suzy and I have been used almost daily and we have found them to be most useful. We have had so many people ask where they may find them. When I tell them the story, they think you are a super hero.

Hoping all is well for you and the family.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    9 hour check, BGE holding steady at 230°F, butt roast firmly in the stall, at 165°F, and this place smells like heaven would smell if they were doing a peach butt. All is good. Time to test the bourbon to make sure it has not gone bad. Might add some to the coffee Suzy made for me to check if it is still bendable in solution. Critical test.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I'll definitely be checking back in, that is going to be delicious! Below zero wind chills here this week here in Mn, but we're going to  have to try this when it warms up. I usually have at least 1 egg cooking any weekend day. Haven't used peach preserves that I remember; sounds wonderful.
  • YukonRon

Part of a well balanced breakfast, celery for fiber. Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day, until lunch.
    Pro tip: Try Sriracha in place of Tabasco. 
    Pro tip: save your beef drippings to use for ice cubes when having a Bloody Mary.
    Yum Factor: 11 out of 10.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited February 2021
    Runamuck said:
    I'll definitely be checking back in, that is going to be delicious! Below zero wind chills here this week here in Mn, but we're going to  have to try this when it warms up. I usually have at least 1 egg cooking any weekend day. Haven't used peach preserves that I remember; sounds wonderful.
    I think if there is one thing I tried on the BGE that came out great, and enjoy the most, is the slow cook of a well brined pork butt, with the peach glaze. Once those sugars cook, the butt is forced to retain moisture. The aroma of the cooking pork with the peach smoke is nothing less than phenomenal (My next door neighbor sent me a text, asking me to save her some once she smelled the waifting cloud from the BGE).

Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I've never tried a fruit based glaze on a butt before. Do you wrap at all? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • YukonRon
    SonVolt said:
    I do, however the bottom and sides fruit chunks tend to slide down but the jammy part of the preserves stay on. I usually give the top and sides a second coat once it is about mid stall (175°F to 185°F is my guess?). It works out really well. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Making up some blue cheese sriracha cole slaw right now, super easy and very delicious. The key is using a blend of Stilton from Ireland, which is less creamy, and Gorgonzola Dolce, a bit creamier from Italy. I crumble large, and typically do a WTF and add more to the recipe:

In a large bowl add:
    5 packed cups of shredded cabbage : Napa, Red, Green
    2 large carrots peeled , then shredded
    1/2 cup of finely shredded sweet onion

Mix this together

Then, in a separate large bowl:
     1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
     1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
    3/4 cup of Dukes Mayonnaise, do not use cheap Mayo.
    1/4 cup of buttermilk
    1 and 1/2 cup of blue cheese (see above)
    1/2 teaspoon of celery salt*
    1/2 teaspoon of celery seed*
    (*May be omitted from recipe if you do not like them)
     1 teaspoon of sugar or 2 teaspoons of honey

Miix thoroughly. Then add in 1/2 cup at a time and mix in to shredded coleslaw, carrots and onion to the texture you desire (dryer or creamier).
    Add sriracha to favored taste, a little at a time and mix.

Salt and pepper to taste.

left over bleu cheese dressing would be great on wings.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    YukonRon said:
    Making up some blue cheese sriracha cole slaw right now, super easy and very delicious. The key is using a blend of Stilton from Ireland, which is less creamy, and Gorgonzola Dolce, a bit creamier from Italy. I crumble large, and typically do a WTF and add more to the recipe:

In a large bowl add:
    5 packed cups of shredded cabbage : Napa, Red, Green
    2 large carrots peeled , then shredded
    1/2 cup of finely shredded sweet onion

Mix this together

Then, in a separate large bowl:
     1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
     1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
    3/4 cup of Dukes Mayonnaise, do not use cheap Mayo.
    1/4 cup of buttermilk
    1 and 1/2 cup of blue cheese (see above)
    1/2 teaspoon of celery salt*
    1/2 teaspoon of celery seed*
    (*May be omitted from recipe if you do not like them)
     1 teaspoon of sugar or 2 teaspoons of honey

Miix thoroughly. Then add in 1/2 cup at a time and mix in to shredded coleslaw, carrots and onion to the texture you desire (dryer or creamier).
    Add sriracha to favored taste, a little at a time and mix.

Salt and pepper to taste.

left over bleu cheese dressing would be great on wings.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
    Not sure about Irish Stilton, soumds dodgy.
  • YukonRon
    Sorry, I meant anything but, I worded it wrong.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    17 hours 48 minutes on the cook. Not quite the 18 hours I had predicted previously but close enough. 

I use a pizza peel to remove pork butts from the BGE, because they fall apart trying to lift them any other way. 

The pulled pork sammies last night were flat out awesome. I made up a sauce with the left over peach preserves by adding it to a spicy BBQ sauce. I also tried some with a smoked chipotle and black raspberry sauce from Blues Hog. If you have not tried it, you should. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    17 hours 48 minutes on the cook. Not quite the 18 hours I had predicted previously but close enough. 

That's it, we'll need you to ask you to return your BGE Pro Man Card.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Oh my, that looks delicious! 
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    YukonRon said:
    SonVolt said:
    I do, however the bottom and sides fruit chunks tend to slide down but the jammy part of the preserves stay on. I usually give the top and sides a second coat once it is about mid stall (175°F to 185°F is my guess?). It works out really well. 
    What a simple yet amazing cook!  I’m wondering at what point you wrap.  I wouldn’t think too early to prevent the preserves from sticking to the foil.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

That's it, we'll need you to ask you to return your BGE Pro Man Card.  
    Always a rookie. smh in shame.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Runamuck said:
    Oh my, that looks delicious! 
    Having rage sammies today, I can confirm. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Jcl5150 said:
    YukonRon said:
    SonVolt said:
    What a simple yet amazing cook!  I’m wondering at what point you wrap.  I wouldn’t think too early to prevent the preserves from sticking to the foil.
    I did not wrap at any point, other than my hands around the sammies today and last night. The nice thing about low and slow using a glaze, is not having to touch anything while it cooks. The glaze does much more than add flavor, it also seals in the juices and keeps it very tender.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I gotta start practicing this cook. Glorious. Have a great afternoon my friend!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    blind99 said:
    I gotta start practicing this cook. Glorious. Have a great afternoon my friend!
    My man! Hope all is well. The simple fact this simpleton can do it and get a great result I guarantee you can and will knock it out of the park.

Stay safe and stay well. Enjoy your day. Every day.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dayum that looks amazing. And I also have some peach chunks from our care package ... time for another pork butt cook! 👍
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• YukonRon
    Dayum that looks amazing. And I also have some peach chunks from our care package ... time for another pork butt cook! 👍
    Thank you for the kind words. It is worth it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm drooling over here. The blue cheese sriracha coleslaw recipe is a bonus!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.