Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl Peach Butt

Options
Starting the process tonight for a 9 pound, post trim, pork butt. The brine is 10 ounces by weight of molasses, 12 ounces of pickling salt and about 1 gallon of filtered water. This will go 36 hours, then I will remove from the brine, dry it off and put a spicy/sweet rub and allow it to sit prior glazing in peach preserves then placing it on my XL, @ 225°F along with a boat load of peach chunks for a smoke for about 18 hours.
It does not suck. The mixing of the water, molasses and pickling salt is the only step, in preparation that requires a little time and effort. Will be adding more steps to the process and posting more images as we move forward. The peach glaze makes the best char. When we pull it from the egg, people will be in line, usually with a Pinot Noir in hand fighting for any chunks on left on the cooking grid. It is delicious.

Later my friends. Let me know if you have questions.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    All are going to be eating quite well, regardless of outcome.  Your neighbors are living the high-life right there.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • etherdome
    Options

Sorry "butt" I had to do it.  That's what we call it around here....peach butt. When I saw your thread title it came to mind and I couldn't resist. This is an actual water tower in Gaffney, SC (where they grow millions of peaches). It is right on I-85 and jokes have been going on for decades. 

Thanks for sharing your cook and I look forward to hearing about and seeing results!
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    etherdome said:

Sorry "butt" I had to do it.  That's what we call it around here....peach butt. When I saw your thread title it came to mind and I couldn't resist. This is an actual water tower in Gaffney, SC (where they grow millions of peaches). It is right on I-85 and jokes have been going on for decades. 

Thanks for sharing your cook and I look forward to hearing about and seeing results!
    We have the same style tower in Clanton Alabama. I thought the Alabama tower was a one of a kind design.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Clearly a peach butt pi$$ing contest for the respective Chambers of Commerce to generate some interest and raise some $$.  @YukonRon - once again, the wonders of Q.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I tell you....the upstate and their mysterious ways.  :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice start to processing your Butt. Look forward to following the smoking of the Butt.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love a cook that starts DAYS in advance. It could only be glorious on the other side. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Nice start to processing your Butt. Look forward to following the smoking of the Butt.
    And of course, the eating of the Butt. 
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    All are going to be eating quite well, regardless of outcome.  Your neighbors are living the high-life right there.  
    Actually doing a couple of these. Meijer’s had a BOGO sale, so I filled my cart. I have been taking them to a charitable organization just about every time I cook pork butts. I should do it every time, but I don’t. Shame on me.

I did one and used the smoked chipotle and black raspberry sauce, it was divine. Suzy requested the peach butt, and my bleu cheese sriracha coleslaw for this weekend. Combined the make an awesome burrito.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GregW said:
    etherdome said:

We have the same style tower in Clanton Alabama. I thought the Alabama tower was a one of a kind design.
    I have actually seen both of these, and years ago, the one in downtown Atlanta. Believe it or not, there used to be a peach shaped water tower outside of Lexington,  Kentucky which was taken down or revised to represent tobacco. That came down soon after tobacco became P.I. Now it is just a regular water tower with horses or some other shït.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Clearly a peach butt pi$$ing contest for the respective Chambers of Commerce to generate some interest and raise some $$.  @YukonRon - once again, the wonders of Q.  
    No Super Bowl party with the neighbors this year. 2 have been exposed, and our neighbor, who has been our nurse hero, has said it is not safe to do so right now out of her concern for caution. I will just bag some up for them, and leave it on their door step.

Staying healthy is key.

Who you got? KC by 6.5

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I tell you....the upstate and their mysterious ways.  :o
    Somebody ought to let them know?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Prepping the brine was the hard part. The messy part is the peach preserves. A mop and a bucket, towels of all kinds, and a shower is needed to clean up the mess. In the summer, after putting the butt in the egg, Suzy hoses me down before I can enter the house. It is really not that bad, but I can make a mess.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    JRWhitee said:
    And of course, the eating of the Butt. 
    Of course! Typically there will be nothing left, due to Suzy and I, and packing some away for the neighbors. Our neighborhood nurse has told us the risk is too high for getting together in our bubble right now, due to 2 of our neighbors SQ due to “possible” contact with someone 8 days ago. They have tested negative, as have we all, but we all chose to not risk it. Happy neighborhood nurse, happy life.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome @YukonRon
    Thank you sir, greatly appreciated 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As always, you are doing well by doing good with your charitable cooks.  I am quite sure they are very much appreciated and I know it is "a natural" for you.  Congratulations.  

• YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As always, you are doing well by doing good with your charitable cooks.  I am quite sure they are very much appreciated and I know it is "a natural" for you.  Congratulations.  

I know you do them too, one of the many reasons I enjoy so very much, this forum because you are an important part of it.

Thank you for the kind words, but much of what I do, I learned from you. Thank you for making me a better cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great Ron. In another month or so, I plan on making several of these for meals on the boat. This is certainly a winning cook 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You really do know how to handle a butt.... can’t wait to see this progress to completion..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks great Ron. In another month or so, I plan on making several of these for meals on the boat. This is certainly a winning cook 
    Hope things are well for you my friend. I will be using some peach wood chunks from a certain dear friend of mine, to make this cook perfect. The ribs I have cooked with the peach chunks were divine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    awesome - i gotta get some more peach preserves !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    You really do know how to handle a butt.... can’t wait to see this progress to completion..
    Hope you and your grandson are well my friend, and thank you for the kind words. Suzy and I are planning another summit excursion this fall IF everything works out. Lot to get through between now and then, but if it is safe, and I am healthy enough to do it, we will. Getting old sucks, but not as bad as being old and unhealthy above 14,000 ft. Will be sending your grandson some shots if we make it. Stay safe and stay well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    NDG said:
    awesome - i gotta get some more peach preserves !
    Let me know if you need some. Suzy is kind of mad at me for, um, I believe the term is called hoarding. Just a habit, because it is so hard to find around here. Maybe I am that reason? Actually, I have a few jars in the pantry, not as bad as one might think. It is also good on ribs too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    My brother and I went to Boston a few years back and a few people had told us to go to one specific place (can’t remember the name) and get the “Duck Fat Fries”. We did and they were awesome. There was a helluva wait but the fries were worth every second.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    My brother and I went to Boston a few years back and a few people had told us to go to one specific place (can’t remember the name) and get the “Duck Fat Fries”. We did and they were awesome. There was a helluva wait but the fries were worth every second.
    Boston is a great foodie town. Lobster rolls to fries, they are all outstanding. Did you get a chance to hit up the outdoor market while there? We did a VRBO, did all of our grocery shopping for the week there. Pretty cool, if you get the chance. You are buying what restaurants buy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    We did not. We were moving around a lot. We rented a Mustang convertible and hit all of the New England states in a week. We did take in a game at Fenway. That was awesome.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .