Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt Cook

Options
Frank55
Frank55 Posts: 2
Am fairly new to the BGE and I am looking to do a small (maybe 5 pound) pork butt for New Years Eve and am interested in a tried and true recipe that will set us up for a successful start to 2021. Thanks for any advice and HNY! 
Winter Springs, Florida
Large BGE  8-2020

Comments

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Welcome!! Turbo method is a good strategy. 350 degrees and cook until IT of 160 then you can choose to wrap in foil until IT of 200 degrees or 205, or you can just let it run without wrapping in tin foil. Once it hits 200 or 205 (my preference) wrap it in a towel and throw it in a cooler for 30 minutes to an hour then pull and serve. Pick your favorite rub and have a beer it’s an easy cook. 
    LBGE
    AL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    No wrong way, Butts are very forgiving ...watch sugar in your rubs if going high heat ...i like Texas Style ( if st h a thing for butts ) just salt and pepper 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Since it sounds like you may be new at some of this let me add some other notes:

fill the lump almost to the top of the fire ring.

I like to put several smoking chunks within the lump.

put a drip pan under the grate WITH AN AIR GAP.  You can use some balled up foil under the pan.  The pan does not need liquid - the egg is a humid cooking environment.

pull the butt when it probes like butta regardless of the temp.

enjoy the cook and the eats!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I would go out of the gate with a butt cook running around 260-280*F on a calibrated dome thermo as that eliminates the high heat rub concerns and allows ample time for the adult supervisory beverages.  If you have done any advance looks thru search mediums you will find that at that temp it will take as long as it takes but plan for around 1.5 hours/lb.  
    Now for the disclaimer- I have consistently found that once you are in your weight range that you are gonna cook it will likely take upwards of 2+ hrs/lb at the above temperature.
    With all that tossed on your plate- FTC is your friend. Foil, towel, cooler to hold if finished early.  Foil with the cook going to power it thru.  FWIW-
    Feel free to serve up questions as the cook progresses as there are many here who will gladly help out.  
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Can't wait for 2020 to become true hindsight!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome to the madness of this forum
    Tons of great advice & recipes here
    What size BGE do you have?
    What part of the country are you located in?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I would do as @lousubcap says above but I will add the following..... I like to spray with an apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix about once an hour until it reaches an IT of 160. I then wrap in foil with the same mixture. Pull it off the egg when it reaches IT of 200 and FTC for at least an hour. I prefer to get them done early and FTC for a few hours while I make the sides. As others have stated, have fun and ask questions if needed.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• txhawkeye
    Options
    https://meatwave.com/recipes/barbecue-recipe-big-bob-gibsons-championship-pork-shoulder

This is the recipe I have always used, just did it yesterday good flavor. Pork butt is very forgiving and hard to mess up if you monitor temps. Definitely give yourself extra time and hold in a cooler until ready. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I’m smoking a 9# butt tomorrow. Mrs. 500 always asks, “When will it be done?”  She gets flustered with me when I say, “When it reaches 195*.”  I have it rubbed with just salt right now after trimming most of the fat cap off. Will add the rub tomorrow morning as the Egg is heating up. At 275*, I’ll take a guess and say 1-1 1/2 hours per pound. I plan on sitting in a pan around 160* to capture the juices as it goes through the stall. That’s the plan anyway. I’ll have a foil/towel/cooler ready. I like to let it rest for an hour in the FTC before pulling. Plan to only pulling  chunks to keep from drying it out. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Frank55
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
    Winter Springs, Florida
    Large BGE  8-2020
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Welcome and all the best out of the gates. You will find much joy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Search for peach butt on the site. It’s worth doing. Sprinkle the butt with a spicey sweet rub, smear it with peach preserves, smoke it low and slow using peach wood chunks if possible or maybe apple. Mix a good barbecue sauce with peach preserves and brush on a few minutes before taking it out of the Egg.