Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I think I spot Chili Crisp. 
    bingo

Options
    the chili crisp, commercial (brand) or homemade. never heard of it before but the recipes for it look good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lao Gan Ma all the way. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite condiments.  It tastes like crunchy nuggets of MSG with a kick. Never really had anything that tastes quite like it before. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, Lao Gan Ma.  My neighbor said he loved it and buy that brand.  I did and this pizza that looks like @lit's 6 year old daughter made is the first I've used it.  

SWMBO wasn't a fan of the chili crisp but I am.  Not much heat, great crunchy texture and a chili, garlic onion flavor.  And umami
    Options
    Yep, Lao Gan Ma.  My neighbor said he loved it and buy that brand.  I did and this pizza that looks like @lit's 6 year old daughter made is the first I've used it.  

SWMBO wasn't a fan of the chili crisp but I am.  Not much heat, great crunchy texture and a chili, garlic onion flavor.  And umami
    I was being nice. My daughters pizzas look much better.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    And its beer o clock.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We used to buy a version of the dried chili condiment from our local Thai place in Austin, we put it on everything. Trader Joe’s has one that’s good, lighter on the chili’s and lots of dried onion.  It’s not as pungent, good but different. I’ll order some of this one you recommend.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this chili crisp and the TJ's version. What else are you guys using it on?
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this chili crisp and the TJ's version. What else are you guys using it on?
    I just got mine a couple days ago so very limited use thus far.  Sounds strange, but apparently some guy put some over a vanilla soft serve ice cream and that's actually become a thing. "works" is what I read.  I'm keen on experimenting with it. I'm not sure the crispiness will hold up through some cooking, might just be a post-cook condiment, but I will find out.

Options
    It tastes nothing like Srirachi garlic chili.
    Options
    If you get it, get Lau Gan Ma first so you know what the original is supposed to taste like. She invented the stuff and now she's a billionaire walking around the streets of China.  That is, don't buy the store brand ketchup if you've never had Heinz.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Options
    I’ve mixed it into Mayo to put on a sandwich, dip fries into, artichokes.  

Can use as a major flavor component to make a wing sauce.

Mixed into tuna.

I’ve drizzled it on a sliced avocado.

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    Mandatory one year, too. 

No getting around that one. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bought the big family size
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Getting a lil smoke on some Chex Mix 

What do you add for smoking wood and are you introducing a lot of smoke or more of a nice back flavor?  I’m a Chex mix junkie this time of year and always tweaking the recipe.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    How long does that stuff last? I may pick some up 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Options
    Chex mix never lasts long.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Beef-ish soup made from the stock I made from the bones of the prime shortloin from last weekend.  Leftovers for my lunch today.  Broth is very “silky”.  Also eating with a fork and drinking the broth, no spoon to be found in my office and none in the kitchen area either.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Since it doesn't need refrigeration after opening, I'd hazard a guess it will last until the oil goes rancid.  But you'll more than likely consume it before then.

Options
    Getting a lil smoke on some Chex Mix 

What do you add for smoking wood and are you introducing a lot of smoke or more of a nice back flavor?  I’m a Chex mix junkie this time of year and always tweaking the recipe.
    I go very light with apple wood.  Just a hint of smoke. I’ll generally run 2 batches and mix once they are cooled.  This seems to get the smoke profile where everyone likes it. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Since it doesn't need refrigeration after opening, I'd hazard a guess it will last until the oil goes rancid.  But you'll more than likely consume it before then.

Sorry let me clarify, how much does one generally use in a given recipe. Because if the essential flavor Is spicy garlic onion soy I can see using it in a lot of stuff and therefore may need to order 2 jars.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lasts about the same amount of time around here that a jar of sambal does.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Some pork short ribs marinating in soy vay island teriyaki sauce. Going on the PK soon.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Options

Sorry let me clarify, how much does one generally use in a given recipe. Because if the essential flavor Is spicy garlic onion soy I can see using it in a lot of stuff and therefore may need to order 2 jars.

It doesn't have a pungent flavor like Sriracha or Sambal Olek.  And it's not an ingredient you'd throw in a recipe IMO, but a condiment you'd drop by the spoonful in a bowl of soup at the table, or slathered on noodles/dumplings, or over some Chinese takeout, or even pizza apparently. It goes pretty quick at my house.

It's less about the flavor and more about the savory texture.  The flavor is mostly salty MSG with a little heat. It's fried peppers to the point that they're crunchy, mixed with peanuts or soybeans (depending on the version you get) swimming in soybean oil. 

Oh, and it has Sichuan pepper in it, so it has that tongue numbing thing going on. 
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @CPFC1905 congrats on the expanding family!  Looks like their may be some resemblance between you and your son.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    @CPFC1905 congratulations and than you for sharing!!
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great day @CPFC1905 - Holding up well and now time to relax and enjoy.
    Congrats to all.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.