Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast (skin-on)

Options
After an all too dry fried turkey over Thanksgiving with relatives in Indianapolis, my fiancée and I returned to Brooklyn and decided to try and redeem ourselves by buying a boneless turkey breast with the skin on. Started with the 6.5lb breast that I kosher salted and rubbed with freshly cracked black and pink peppercorns. It dry-brined in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 24 hours. At around noon I set up my BGE for indirect cooking with a dome temp. of 225°F.

I wasn't really timing it, but had my probe in and planned on basting it with oil at around 150°F internal. I think it took nearly two hours to get there, but this is what it looked like after basting.

Once it hit 160°F internal, I pulled it and tented with foil loosely, allowing it to rest for about twenty minutes.

I sliced it as thinly as possible so that we could make turkey sandwiches using this really great bread from She Wolf Bakery in Brooklyn. The sandwiches also had caramelized onions, melted gruyere, sautéed kale, and a homemade dijon aioli my fiancée created.

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Dude, that looks outstanding.  Well played.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sweet100s
    Options
    Gorgeous!  Turkey sandwiches are a fave:
    - Jimmy John's Beach Club. 
    - Jersey Mike's #7 with the red pepper deli sauce add.

But that just looks spectactular.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @joshpounds90 Excellent cook. I made a very similar cook for Thanksgiving, I did slice a couple of sticks of unsalted butter and place under the skin. I also did heavy kosher salt and black pepper under the skin.
    I cooked it to an internal temp of 158 Deg, and removed it from the smoker. The temp did continue to climb to 165 after resting.

It was the best turkey I have ever cook.

Again, your turkey looks great and welcome to the forum 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    @joshpounds90 appreciate this post as I used it for inspiration for a turkey breast to add to the Christmas dinner.  I ran at 275 dome temp, indirect, two chunks of cherry.  I put sage and thyme under the skin and rubbed with Tony Chachere’s.  The meat was moist and flavorful, but the skin did not crisp enough (had it airing in the beer fridge only 20hrs).
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Spectacular 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Sandwich looks fantastic
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • simmonsgrege
    Options
    Bought a turkey breast today just because of your pictures/success. Can’t wait. Thanks 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Bought a turkey breast today just because of your pictures/success. Can’t wait. Thanks 
    It took you 14 months?

I hope it turns out, please share your experience!
    Clinton, Iowa