Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie - Show us your work

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I know, I know. Speculation is a waste of words.
    @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  
    I was thinking it was a nut cracker (owch!).

I think it’s a tortilla press. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    SciAggie said:
    @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  

Sans the hinged plates....I can see that.

Haha - it looks like a plane blade mounted on my the lever arm and just had me wondering.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SciAggie said:

Sans the hinged plates....I can see that.
    On second inspection I think I’m wrong. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2020
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I have an idea. Sometime when you have the opportunity, it would be great if you explained how you dry your chilies and make garlic powder. I know you have mentioned it before but it is lost in a thread somewhere. I think it’s great how you do that. You have a wealth of knowledge that others can benefit from. 
    Not sure about a wealth of knowledge ,but tried a lot of stuff  =) . I have found that
    making some of the basic spices can elevate ANY cook ...My Go To's are smoke dried peppers ( in mexico they wither sun or smoke) , like you see in the mexican section of the stores-- Mainly I do Ancho ( Pablano Fresh) Chipotle ( Fresno's Fresh ) and Gualillo ( anaheim fresh) and Paprika ( sweet peppers, like bell)  I smoke with Hickory , 150 degrees for 3 days ...The thinker skin peppers take longer- No prep ....

I do think if you are going to do Salami or Sausage making your own does make a difference 

I blend them THEN separate the seeds and stems through a mesh screen. Make your own Chili Powder ( not to be confused with Powdered Chile ) powdered chili, Adobo is the best and can be used from sausage making to soups and stews 

I am a big fan of making my own garlic and onion powders, kind of a pain, but no comparison to the store bought stuff ........Pro Tip on garlic and onion, pulse in a dehydrator first ( slices take forever ) spread on parchment , into the dehydrator @ 135 till done OR oven with door propped open @ its lowest setting 

Roasted Garlic SPC

Pepper mash From Fements make a great rub as well, if you are not fermenting , grab a store bought Sriracha , spread it on some parchment and into the dehydrator or oven, I blend with Kosher Salt 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Is your smoker a stick burner? Contemplating how to hold 150 degrees for 3 days. I’m thinking with charcoal instead of splits. Maybe a few chunks of wood for smoke. Not sure how much charcoal I’d go through in 3 days. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2020
    SciAggie said:
    Is your smoker a stick burner? Contemplating how to hold 150 degrees for 3 days. I’m thinking with charcoal instead of splits. Maybe a few chunks of wood for smoke. Not sure how much charcoal I’d go through in 3 days. 
    @sciaggie that one is my stumps XL Stretch. Fuilly Insulated 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  

It is a Biltong slicer.There was a local guy back in South Africa making them. The blade is from a wood planner, works really well.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    That’s not something you see every day. Cool. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian

It is a Biltong slicer.There was a local guy back in South Africa making them. The blade is from a wood planner, works really well.
    Looks like something a Mohel could use 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    lkapigian said:

Looks like something a Mohel could use 
    More like Lorena Bobbitt....
    I opened up some sausage Larry sent this afternoon.  I kept going back for more until it was done gone.  Delicious!  Probably equivalent to eating half a stick of butter in the fat department, but so worth it.
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I have an idea. Sometime when you have the opportunity, it would be great if you explained how you dry your chilies and make garlic powder. 
    Wow, that's quite a trick!   :o 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lkapigian
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I have an idea. Sometime when you have the opportunity, it would be great if you explained how you dry your chilies and make garlic powder. 
    Wow, that's quite a trick!   :o 
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  

Thanks for the info, I thought that was a plane blade, just couldn’t think what it would be used for on a kitchen counter.   I’ll keep that in mind if I ever buy a prosciutto ham, just have to decide between the No.4, 5, or 7, or maybe a good job for a spoke shave.
  • lkapigian
    I opened up some sausage Larry sent this afternoon.  I kept going back for more until it was done gone.  Delicious!  Probably equivalent to eating half a stick of butter in the fat department, but so worth it.
    Thanks Carey, I think that is the Pepper Sauce one?.....Roasted Hatch Chilies from New Mexico into and adobo paste 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Those look great!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski said:
    Fantastic thread, and I did not even read half of it. 

My contribution:
    I have had these guys hanging for 5-6 months at this point  
    1 plain
    1 salt and pepper
    1 garlic Rosemary (hoping this comes out as good as the lamb prosciutto I made a few years ago)
    1 hot. I want to say I put nearly 300gms of 90,000 heat units of cayenne in with the cure. 
    Need to do a weight check, but I am sure they still need a few more months. 

Yes!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    Sea2Ski said:
    Fantastic thread, and I did not even read half of it. 

My contribution:
    I have had these guys hanging for 5-6 months at this point  
    1 plain
    1 salt and pepper
    1 garlic Rosemary (hoping this comes out as good as the lamb prosciutto I made a few years ago)
    1 hot. I want to say I put nearly 300gms of 90,000 heat units of cayenne in with the cure. 
    Need to do a weight check, but I am sure they still need a few more months. 

Overachiever LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • This is photoshopped. How do I know?

because pigs don’t have four hind legs. 

Busted. 
  • lkapigian
    PigBeanUs said:
    This is photoshopped. How do I know?

Busted. 
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    while I was warming up the egg for the turkey I threw some andouille on and cut up some previously smoked Havarti.   Not fancy looking but tasty

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lkapigian
    Was trying to go old school as much as possible on this, moved back to the back room as weather is more favorable ...controlling the temp with the window...max was 60.5 for and hour or so but hanging in the 50s...No Cultures added ( pardon the cluttered racks )

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bump
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • lkapigian
    Thanks @Sheldon_Nigel

Finished product 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @lkapigian, you're making so much great stuff that I can't imagine that you could possibly consume it all.  

Therefore, I can only conclude that you are planning to send charcuterie gift bags to all of us who are regulars here.

Thanks in advance.  We really appreciate it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Foghorn said:
    @lkapigian, you're making so much great stuff that I can't imagine that you could possibly consume it all.  

Therefore, I can only conclude that you are planning to send charcuterie gift bags to all of us who are regulars here.

Thanks in advance.  We really appreciate it.
    LoL @Foghorn I'd be glad to send some!....My middle sun is a Nut Broker ( walnuts almonds pistachios etc )  and wanted to hand some cure meat out to some of his customers, these will be paired with mini hot sauce bottles of fermented jalapeno sauce and we will be making a metric s load of Smoked Linguica ......I'm just glad he has enough confidence to give this stuff out 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    PigBeanUs said:
    This is photoshopped. How do I know?

Busted. 
    Ha!  We butchered 2 pigs. Kept the rear legs of both. We think this is the beat use of those hind legs. Just trying to dial it all in. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.