Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie - Show us your work

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian I’ll use the Flavors of Italy. I’m following the recipe from Two Guys and a Cooler - unless you have a better suggestion. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    @SciAggie , that's a great recipe ...with the flavor of Italy, it's fast , almost to fast...ferment on the lower end of the spectrum 70ish if possible limit the dextrose to .3%  and if adding other sugars take tat into consideration ..looking forward to seeing your work 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Let the Dried Italian Sausage No Starter Culture go at room temp 12 hours and into the chamber....i could have let it go safely for another day at room temp but day temps are still to warm for my comfort ...it will still drop oh slowly at chamber temp but not worried about it 

Had to put what was left hanging in the door to make room...these are all done just letting them are a bit more 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    You need a bigger chamber.
    OR - maybe you need a few more mailing addresses, lol.
    The color on the last sausage is beautiful.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    @lkapigian what in the world do you do with all that? I admire your work. I had the opportunity to spend four weeks in Italy last year for work and it gave me a new respect for charcuterie. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @SciAggie I still have another 4.4 not using for curing but somehow became a spare fridge.... @Elijah , before the Covid we did a lot of cooks offs and small catering where it would have been used , now it goes to friends and family or being stockpiled  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Well I got it all in, 10pounds Dried Sausage ,10 pounds Fermented Snack Sticks ...theres a 5 pound Bresaola lurking in there plus the completed stuff on the door...i would not fill it this full long term but the 20MM stuff will shut k pretty quick ...the 20 MM casings I did use a culture , 72 hour ferment....checking the PH the one With Culture and the one Without were within .1-.2 of each other 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That's a lot of sausage.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    You need a bigger chamber.
    OR - maybe you need a few more mailing addresses, lol.
    The color on the last sausage is beautiful.
    I would be more than happy to provide you guys with a mailing address.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SciAggie
    Options
    Check out the color change after 24 hours. pH is 4.9. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Check out the color change after 24 hours. pH is 4.9. 

Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Made a tray for some friends Left to Right Pancetta Tesa , Lonzino ( new favorite) Cappicola and Basturma 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Cold smoked some bacon. I let it cure too long and it ended up saltier than I'd like. Only slightly. The neighbor that I let try it said it was the right amount for them. I'm thinking about soaking it in water for a bit. I'm afraid of what it'll do to the other flavors, but whatcha going to do. Anyone have an idea for soak time?

If you are just trying the outer edge, it can be too salty. The salt mellows as you get a few slices in. I would cut one of those in half and try some from the middle before soaking. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is true, but also true that a quick soak will remove it from where it came in (the outside of the meat) and is most concentrated. 

It you rinse it off well and let the salt equalize for a week or two the end should be as salty as the middle. 

Salt has full mobility in meat and the concentration will want to equalize and be the same throughout the cut, given enough time.  

In pork, salt moves about 4mm the first hour and slows down to around 15mm a day.

Source:  https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/diffusion.html
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Made a tray for some friends Left to Right Pancetta Tesa , Lonzino ( new favorite) Cappicola and Basturma 

That looks so good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Elijah
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Cold smoked some bacon. I let it cure too long and it ended up saltier than I'd like. Only slightly. The neighbor that I let try it said it was the right amount for them. I'm thinking about soaking it in water for a bit. I'm afraid of what it'll do to the other flavors, but whatcha going to do. Anyone have an idea for soak time?

If you are just trying the outer edge, it can be too salty. The salt mellows as you get a few slices in. I would cut one of those in half and try some from the middle before soaking. 
    I did go several slices in. I did the overnight soak, and it came out barely under seasoned. I still vacuum sealed it and will use it, but it wasn't quite a success. Next time I'll cure for less time. I'm thinking a 4 or 6 hour soak would have been right. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Elijah said:

I did go several slices in. I did the overnight soak, and it came out barely under seasoned. I still vacuum sealed it and will use it, but it wasn't quite a success. Next time I'll cure for less time. I'm thinking a 4 or 6 hour soak would have been right. 
    If you use an equilibrium cure (the exact amount of cure by weight for the weight of the meat) you’ll never have to worry about this again. You can leave it in there for weeks and it will never get too salty. It’s nice to not have to pull it on an exact date or try to guess how early to pull it. All mine go around 7 days but I have gone days longer with no issues when life gets in the way. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you use an equilibrium cure (the exact amount of cure by weight for the weight of the meat) you’ll never have to worry about this again. You can leave it in there for weeks and it will never get too salty. It’s nice to not have to pull it on an exact date or try to guess how early to pull it. All mine go around 7 days but I have gone days longer with no issues when life gets in the way. 
    The old french farmhouse approach was to do a simple brine or “pickle” of salt and herbs. Maybe salt petre, but not necessary. It was an equilibrium cure of sorts, though no one was doing any chemistry, it was a practical method learned by trial and error. Pretty cool frankly. 

This was pre-refrigeration. 

Basically, a tall crock would hold a few gallons of brine, amd you would toss in a couple joints, a loin (cut into small roasts), maybe some belly. 

And it would stay there in perpetuity. 

Couple months even. 

Reach in, take out a loin or shank or whatever. Mild cure. 

They would toss in more meat as they came across it. 

The lid was a circle of wood that fit inside on top of the brine which held the meat down. 

Every now and then, when they got suspicious about the cure, they’d boil it (and the lid), skim the scum, top off the brine with some more. 

Curing was still a practical solution to a real problem (viz: “what are we going to do with all this meat”) as little as fifty to seventy-five years ago. 

• nolaegghead
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Curing as a means of preservation is still used today by nearly a billion people who have little or no electricity.  I'm sure they would all love Sub Zero freezers, but out of necessity they utilize ancient techniques to preserve perishable food.  Bushmeat biltong is prevalent in Africa.
    A few pics of my last batch of Biltong.

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nice, John.  I've been meaning to try to make some biltong.

BTW: In the etymology of the word "biltong" are the Dutch words for butt and tongue.  Quick, someone call @SGH!!!
    Curing as a means of preservation is still used today by nearly a billion people who have little or no electricity.  I'm sure they would all love Sub Zero freezers, but out of necessity they utilize ancient techniques to preserve perishable food.  Bushmeat biltong is prevalent in Africa.
    Well sure. 

I wasn’t saying curing is no longer done. It’s just that Mr. and Mrs. America don’t give a second thought as to why we have such a thing as bacon or salted pork or ham. 

My point about the french farmhouse crock was that it wasn’t about making tasty jambon, it had to do with making sure the pork didn’t rot before you could eat it, and as long as we are submerging it in salty water, we might as well add some herbs and wine and maybe some sugar to take the edge off. 

Goes all the way back to meat caches. Gravlax for example. Or mastodon bones found under piles of rock (to hold them under water).  

But now I make mastodon hams because I want to, not because I have to. 
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  
  • Elijah
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Elijah said:

I did do the salt box method for this. I was in a hurry. If I plan to spend hours making it you'd think I'd spend the extra few minutes to weigh everything. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian I have an idea. Sometime when you have the opportunity, it would be great if you explained how you dry your chilies and make garlic powder. I know you have mentioned it before but it is lost in a thread somewhere. I think it’s great how you do that. You have a wealth of knowledge that others can benefit from. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Elijah said:
    Elijah said:

I did do the salt box method for this. I was in a hurry. If I plan to spend hours making it you'd think I'd spend the extra few minutes to weigh everything. 
    Totally get that. I started off doing that several years ago but it made things so much easier and repeatable when I started weighing/measuring everything. Especially with the ruhlman salt box method. Just like everything else he does, way too salty (and I’m a salt fiend) 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @johnmitchell what is the contraption in your last picture that the meat is sitting on?  
    I was thinking it was a nut cracker (owch!).