Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Californian Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    People bitching about brands of sunglasses....

If that’s your biggest problem, you are all lucky sons of b!tches. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited November 2020
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    People bitching about brands of sunglasses....

If that’s your biggest problem, you are all lucky sons of b!tches. 

Have you ever been forced to go down Rodeo drive with an off brand set of sunglasses?  You have not suffered until you have done that.  The travesty, oh the humanity.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Based on this thread, perhaps something salty?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:i
    Based on this thread, perhaps something salty?
    So many flavors...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

I love this bit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you want to make them feel at home....nail up some oranges in the trees =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Throw some feta in that avocado salad- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    without having to change a thing and sticking with the usual dishes.

What Was Eaten at the First Thanksgiving - HISTORY

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2020
    Options
    California? You serve the same traditional Thanksgiving fair as everyone else, but instead of giving thanks before the meal, you give a long awkward diatribe on the myth of the Thanksgiving story and the lasting damage they imbue by hiding the truth of massacres, disease and systematic geocide of our nation's first peoples. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I love that skit on SNL.

I grew up in N. California and lived in S. California twice.  The obsession with route and putting “the” in front of freeway names or numbers is all S. California, primarily LA and OC.  And it’s very real.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Legume said:
    I love that skit on SNL.

I grew up in N. California and lived in S. California twice.  The obsession with route and putting “the” in front of freeway names or numbers is all S. California, primarily LA and OC.  And it’s very real.

I can also confirm this. I take THE 55 freeway or THE 261 toll road to work in my prissy Prius, at least I used to. Now I take THE hallway to my office. I don’t really drive a Prius though.  ;)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    without having to change a thing and sticking with the usual dishes.

What Was Eaten at the First Thanksgiving - HISTORY

The only change needed... replace grapes with California raisins!
    canuckland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dont you need to add some THC to something?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I remember a while ago- maybe in the 90s?- when sandwich names included the word 'California' when alfalfa sprouts were used.  Anyone else remember that?  Maybe avocado and alfalfa sprouts?  I don't know that people in California ever use alfalfa sprouts more than people in other states but it used to be a stereotype.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Nah, most of us are not vegan weirdo stereotype and like all the normal stuff. TEXASKAREN2020 is the one who should get on the kale and quinoa trend since she’s already half way there with her HOA complaints. 
    And now you have forum bingo 😁

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JonWesson
    Options
    botox inject the foods as salute to nancy pelosi
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    If a unique/different side dish is the goal, then I'd consider ditching the "Califonian Thanksgiving" notion. Maybe try a side from another part of the country (world?). Unless they've mentioned feeling homesick or nostalgic about something in particular.

Either way, you're a kind host for thinking about what they might like. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanksgiving tacos might be good. Are tacos ever the wrong answer? Avocados go on tacos...

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    SciAggie said:
    Thanksgiving tacos might be good. Are tacos ever the wrong answer? Avocados go on tacos...

I'm doing Posole , tacos fit right in
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

I'm doing Posole , tacos fit right in
    Posole for about 1,000 people too, it looks like.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin