Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now Moderna

Options
This is great news!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/16/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-is-more-than-94percent-effective.html

The fact that their data indicates over 90% efficacy is really encouraging.  The approach (using messenger RNA) is for all practical purposes identical to Pfizer’s.  

Very likely we have a vaccine folks!  Not quite time to celebrate yet as we have a tough winter to get through, but I think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.   
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That's great news. This is the one the wife and I have. Phase 2 trial.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Glad to see that is refrigerator temps stable for up to 30 days. That should make it a lot easier to get it at most doctor offices.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    One irony/silver lining of the pandemic raging out of control right now is that it's allowed the vaccine trial data to come in more quickly than originally forecast.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Question is; will it be in time for Butt Blast?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If they produce both Pfizer and Moderna everybody in the US could be vaccinated by July.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I’d think Pfizer would have a patent. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I'd think the people who paid for it should get the patent.

That'd be us.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    For some reason I see a large swath of our population not getting vaccinated for a while. Whether it be because of the need to start with front line workers or because of someone’s personal belief that the vaccine is questionable. Either way I’d say unfortunately we have another year of this BS ahead.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CornfedMA
    Options
    Excellent news. I’m curious, of the crowd here, is anyone thinking they will NOT get the vaccine? 

It likely varies state to state, but I’m also wondering if employers can/will make it mandatory for employees to get vaccinated before being allowed to return to facilities or undertake business travel. 

Personally, I’m all in. I usually spend 80-100 nights a year on the road and have been absolutely climbing the walls since March.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    TN_Egger said:

Kayak said:

That'd be us.

Pfizer didn't take any public funds and I'm not aware of any reason they wouldn't have a patent.
    Some of the others only took money in the form of guaranteed purchases I doubt that them relinquishing any patent rights was part of that deal.
    A lot of drugs that make it to market may have had early work/research done with public funds but that doesn't stop the manufacturer from having a patent on the end result when they bring it to market.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Bill Gates microchip implant concerns many of us.  The higher temperatures that Moderna uses will shorten the transmitter battery life.  I know which formula I will be taking.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    Excellent news. I’m curious, of the crowd here, is anyone thinking they will NOT get the vaccine? 

It likely varies state to state, but I’m also wondering if employers can/will make it mandatory for employees to get vaccinated before being allowed to return to facilities or undertake business travel. 

Personally, I’m all in. I usually spend 80-100 nights a year on the road and have been absolutely climbing the walls since March.
    I am all in as soon as it’s available for my age/risk group. I have also spent the weekend preparing my elderly parents to take it. I took my mom to get the pneumonia vaccine but there were insurance snags. 
    Btw “they” is a plural pronoun meaning that both companies are approved and both produce and sell their own vaccine simultaneously. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TN_Egger said:

Kayak said:

That'd be us.

Pfizer didn't take any public funds and I'm not aware of any reason they wouldn't have a patent.
    Some of the others only took money in the form of guaranteed purchases I doubt that them relinquishing any patent rights was part of that deal.
    A lot of drugs that make it to market may have had early work/research done with public funds but that doesn't stop the manufacturer from having a patent on the end result when they bring it to market.

Pfizer took 1.9 billion in guaranteed government purchases of their vaccine for 100,000,000 doses.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TN_Egger said:

Kayak said:

That'd be us.

Pfizer took 1.9 billion in guaranteed government purchases of their vaccine for 100,000,000 doses.
    He's referring to funds used for the research effort.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Now we need bioethicists and logistics experts to take over.  Arthur Caplan + McDonald's.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,612
    Options
    I’m sure there are attorneys here with better perspective to add, but I think with drugs there are usually two types of patents, one covering the drug or compound and one covering specific use of that drug.  The first is the more important one and what I’m sure Moderna and Pfizer would have.  Not paid for by Gov, in this case, Gov put money into the clinical trials and maybe the manufacturing scale up.   This is what prevents generics companies from making copycat drugs until the compound patent runs out.  Both Pfizer and Moderna seem to use mRNA in their vaccines, but that doesn’t mean they’re making the same thing - they’ll both have patents covering what they do specifically.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    For some reason I see a large swath of our population not getting vaccinated for a while. Whether it be because of the need to start with front line workers or because of someone’s personal belief that the vaccine is questionable. Either way I’d say unfortunately we have another year of this BS ahead.
    CornfedMA said:
    ---
    ----
    When I read comments about personal belief and personal choice I think about Mary Malone and the steps authorities took to protect the citizens at that time. 
    Different times now, but I can see a carrot and stick approach when the vaccines become readily available. 
     https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/typhoid-mary-was-a-real-asymptomatic-carrier-who-caused-multiple-outbreaks
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Hopefully this all gets sorted out fast. This may have huge potential for other vaccines for current and future viruses as well, or maybe i'm getting way too ahead of myself.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TN_Egger said:

Kayak said:

That'd be us.

What John said, Pfizer did not take any upfront money. Their participation in "Op Warp Speed" was just in the form of guaranteed purchases. I perhaps should have worded my second paragraph a little better

• builderdawg
    Options
    The logistics of distributing a vaccine to the entire country will likely take six months, and to your point, there will be people who refuse to get vaccinated.  The important piece is that everyone have the opportunity to get vaccinated, whether they actually get vaccinated is on the individual.  I would guess that by summer, things will start getting back to normal between people who have already had the virus (I got it 2.5 months ago) and people who are vaccinated.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I'm anxiously awaiting the details of the longevity of the protection of each vaccine. We've seen that some folks that had Covid in the spring have become infected with Covid again later this year. I sure hope that it doesn't turn out to be a shot folks might need to take a couple times a year.
    I'm also curious what the street price will be after this initial round of vaccinations. Surely the Congress isn't going to continue picking up the tab forever.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Reading the article Moderna says they still need to test teenagers and children under 12. Personally I don’t see why they couldn’t start issuing it for adepts only since many vaccines have age limits.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm anxiously awaiting the details of the longevity of the protection of each vaccine. We've seen that some folks that had Covid in the spring have become infected with Covid again later this year. I sure hope that it doesn't turn out to be a shot folks might need to take a couple times a year.
    I'm also curious what the street price will be after this initial round of vaccinations. Surely the Congress isn't going to continue picking up the tab forever.
    Moderna has already quoted $37 per dose. I haven’t seen a price on Pfizer plus their vaccine has to be stored at 94 below zero.
  • Legume
    Options
    Reading the article Moderna says they still need to test teenagers and children under 12. Personally I don’t see why they couldn’t start issuing it for adepts only since many vaccines have age limits.
    Fauci explained in a recent interview that this is normal with vaccines, make sure it’s safe for adults then test in kids, but at a smaller scale, so presumably this could be done quickly to align with roll out.
  • Legume
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Moderna has already quoted $37 per dose. I haven’t seen a price on Pfizer plus their vaccine has to be stored at 94 below zero.
    I can’t imagine insurance not covering this.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Off topic? The quote was questioning what the street price would be. I answered a direct question without bringing up politics or religion.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Btw it looks like this thread is already sinking for mysterious bovine reasons.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:
    I can’t imagine insurance not covering this.
    Imagine whats going to happen to our insurance rates.  Our neighbor across the street tested positive and we had been out in the cul de sac with them. We quarantined 10 days then all four of us got a rapid and a mail in test. Just looked at the EOBs and insurance paid out $1168.96 just for the tests.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Fcuk and yes, I will take it as soon as tests are complete and it's available to me -- after (I'd think) the health care workers, first responders, truly essential folks, and whoever should be in line before me, as determined by the dedicated folks tasked with ensuring the public welfare over their own interests and other competing considerations too often prioritized in our society. 

Til then, I'll do my very best to stay away from large gatherings, to wear a mask when I'm out and about, and to do everything else I can to follow the science, protect myself and others from this deadly and raging virus.  

It's inconvenient, sure -- and at times/for some massively so (parents with young kids juggling WFH with SFH, I'm looking at you).  But it's our duty -- call it patriotic if you must -- to try to live responsibly during this global pandemic.  Let's just hope that along with the vaccine, our elected representatives can get their sht together and approve some relief to help the people who are really hurting . . . it's still going to be a long and difficult winter and without aid to those suffering, we and they are gonna be in deep trouble.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    ^^^^^
    canuckland