Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now Moderna

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Btw it looks like this thread is already sinking for mysterious bovine reasons.
    Pretty much anything that's not directly or indirectly tied to smoking meat on the BGE gets sunk or nuked these days.  I can understand why and it doesn't really bother me.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TN_Egger said:
    I’d think Pfizer would have a patent. 

Kayak said:

I'd think the people who paid for it should get the patent.

That'd be us.

Pfizer didn't take any public funds and I'm not aware of any reason they wouldn't have a patent.
    Some of the others only took money in the form of guaranteed purchases I doubt that them relinquishing any patent rights was part of that deal.
    A lot of drugs that make it to market may have had early work/research done with public funds but that doesn't stop the manufacturer from having a patent on the end result when they bring it to market.

Before we lionize the generosity of the two drug companies above, take a moment to do some math concerning the "only money they took".

Pfizer took a pre-order for 100 million doses at $20/dose. The vaccine is estimated to be mfd & distributed for $2/dose. This leaves them looking at $1.7bn in profit, and the US order is about 1/5 of their production. And, they will end up with a patent on their version, which will let them keep on selling it at whatever rate they want. Remember, this isn't going to be a once-and-done vaccination.

NIH spent $700m dollars on coronavirus research since SARS. All of these companies benefited massively, and wouldn't be near a vaccine without that.

There are better ways to pay for research then having us pay twice, while incentivizing drug mfrs to do anything necessary for the bottom line.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Sorry guys I'm going to be one that's not getting vaccinated on the first round. Too many unknowns and too many potential side effects..
    It's like getting a new model car the first year it comes out. ... 

They claim this vaccine is effective yet they can't even get an accurate test for it? Sorry 2+2 doesn't add up.

And to be clear I'm not an anti-vaccer. I believe in the tetanus, measles, meningitis etc vaccines..but this one is too new too quick and unknown reliability.

I know 25 people personally that have had it...they made it through fine..I'll take my chances with the real thing ..just use common sense about where I go.

Glad there's one out there for people that are going to take it and be guenniea pigs for the rest of us

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Sorry guys I'm going to be one that's not getting vaccinated on the first round. Too many unknowns and too many potential side effects..
    It's like getting a new model car the first year it comes out. ... 

I know 25 people personally that have had it...they made it through fine..I'll take my chances with the real thing ..just use common sense about where I go.

Glad there's one out there for people that are going to take it

You do realize that a vaccine isn't just to protect you, but also to help prevent you from spreading this to others, right?  

It's not all about you, man.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    For once I agreed with JIC, somewhere there are flying swine.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina...yes I do understand that..but if 25% of the test group has permanent side effects... from a novel vaccine do the ends justify the means? No..they do not..

You also realize that no vaccine is guaranteed 100% effective too right ?

I think it's funny the same group that advocates my body my choice for abortions ...is now telling the rest of the world we have to get vaccinated....

Hypocrisy can only go so far

If you want to get the vaccine ..you go right ahead ..I nor anyone here will stop you..
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @JohnInCarolina...yes I do understand that..but if 25% of the test group has permanent side effects... from a novel vaccine do the ends justify the means? No..they do not..

You also realize that no vaccine is guaranteed 100% effective too right ?

I think it's funny the same group that advocates my body my choice for abortions ...is now telling the rest of the world we have to get vaccinated....

Yes, you are right.